Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Worked on the truck a bit more. I got the converter to flex plate bolts in and the starter installed. Installed the bed bolts and reinstalled the rear bumper. Then looked at the crossmember that is in it and contemplated the exhaust routing and the e-brake cable location and decided that they probably needed to share the same real estate. Reminder:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5476.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	1300955

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    With all of the demo'ing that Bob and family have done, I'm sure he has seen almost every conceivable angle in which a frame could be distorted!

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Here is a picture of the other side showing the deformation:

Name:	IMG_7936.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	1299123
    Where it is rusty and deformed on bottom, on top it might look like that too. I suspect 6”-foot from where it is on bottom

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Here is a picture of the other side showing the deformation:

Name:	IMG_7936.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	1299123

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
    As I have been working under it while on the lift, I have been wondering about the shape of the drivers side frame rail just under and behind the cab. The lower edge is not square and has a rounded look as you go from the bottom part (which I think should be flat but isn't) as it transitions into the vertical bit (which looks fine). I also notice that there is a wave/kink right under the cab mount bracket.

Name:	IMG_7918.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	1298998

The other side for comparison:

Name:	IMG_7919.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	1298999
    I took another look at it this morning and in addition to the kink directly under the body mount, it seems that there is a significant bow in the bottom of the rail about 12 inches forward at the lowest part of the frame... Bob may be right, that a frame shop may not want the box on for this...

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    The frame being pretty much rust free, makes me think a trip to a reputable frame shop would be in order before a front end alignment.... should be a pretty straightforward fix for an experienced shop... get a quote first though...

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Not sure it's sitting on there right? If you didn't notice it dog legging on the way home, I wonder if it's really a huge problem. This was from page 1:

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=1075059&d=1450300129.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.0 KB ID:	1299010

I can't really tell from your latest pics, but the gap from bed to cab seems not as much as this in the newest pic (edit for clarity - in the new pics the gap seems smaller) ? Can you loosen everything up and shake the loving bejeebus out of it? I mean, it did used to look like it was aligned okay... can you move the biscuits corner to corner or end to end and see if it changes with the biscuit location?
    Last edited by Beagle; July 16, 2021, 05:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Looks like someone hooked it sideways.
    I use an equipment trailer for a frame straightener. Block and chain parts to stay and jack up the dip.
    maybe the frame shop rather work on it boxless.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Well Crap! The frame is bent! Which is a crying shame because it is totally rust free and really nice otherwise. Maybe it can be fixed. Maybe I should get it running so I can drive it to a frame shop! Maybe I should push it into a lake. We will see. For right now, I'm going to do the right thing and pretend I didn't see it (credit to VGG) as it really won't stop me from "running & driving".

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Once the bed is back on we have alignment issues on the drivers side.

Name:	IMG_7911-1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1299001Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7925.JPG
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	1299002

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    As I have been working under it while on the lift, I have been wondering about the shape of the drivers side frame rail just under and behind the cab. The lower edge is not square and has a rounded look as you go from the bottom part (which I think should be flat but isn't) as it transitions into the vertical bit (which looks fine). I also notice that there is a wave/kink right under the cab mount bracket.

Name:	IMG_7918.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	1298998

The other side for comparison:

Name:	IMG_7919.JPG
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	1298999

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    looks like a good excuse to get a forklift
    You're not wrong!

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    looks like a good excuse to get a forklift

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Last Sunday, we got the bed back on the truck. It wasn't easy or pretty but its back in place. I still need to bolt it down.

Name:	IMG_7905.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	1298981

Name:	IMG_7906.JPG
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	1298982

Name:	IMG_7908.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	1298984

Name:	IMG_7909.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	1298987

Name:	IMG_7910.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	1298983

Name:	IMG_7911.JPG
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	1298986
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    The paint was never perfect but it is still very frustrating, especially the second time. A closer look at the master cylinder tells me its been leaking out the back for a while. I ordered up a new one today.

Name:	IMG_7922.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	1298978

Name:	IMG_7920.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	1298979

Leave a comment:

Working...