Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    I'm guessing that in the original attempt to remove the bolts (not by me) they were very close to snapping at either spot and my gentle persuasion just finished the job. Now I need to get out the drill bits and easy outs (why do the call them that anyway, they almost never work and its almost never easy). I am really hoping I don't have to pull the heads and bring this one in for repairs.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    As you may recall, I had 2 bolts that were already broken off pretty much flush with the manifold. This left a decent amount to grab onto with a pair of vise grips.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0289.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	1155275

As you can see, I left a fair amount of each bolt behind in the head anyway.

Name:	IMG_0287.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1155276

Name:	IMG_0286.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	1155277

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    No parts sales this weekend. I did spend some time cleaning up the garage and organizing parts. I also got the exhaust manifolds removed. All the bolts that still had the head attached came out pretty easily. I did give each of them a little nudge to tighten them before trying to back them out and that seemed to help.

Name:	IMG_0288.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	1155273

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    We've not gotten much done but I did sell an extra gas tank I had taking up space in the garage and the radio and instrument cluster from the 03. That adds another $210 to the cause. Total parts sales are $1,362 so the donor is paid for (even though it has not paid for itself yet). Still hoping to sell the remains for enough to break even on the donor. Current fund raising efforts:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/w...092683891.html

Discounts for BangShifters!
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; April 20, 2017, 11:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Huskinhano
    replied
    Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
    Ace has great drawers. I was quite disappointed moving to the big city to find out the drawers at Home Depot flat suck. But the Ace a little bit further down the road has fantastic hardware drawers.
    I've found that to be true also. You'd think HD would have a awesome hardware but they don't. I found the Truevalue by work and home are pretty good. You know what else is disappointing? I was tired of the Chinesium nutz and boltz sold at them and looked up a commercial hardware warehouse to buy stuff. I found one and was hugely disillusioned when all the stuff they carried was the same crap Chinesium crap sold in hardware stores. What made it worse was the counter guy must have been hired from the bugerking next door. he had to clue what a flanged bolt was. I had to look it up on their web site on my phone to show him. He couldn't find them on his desk computer. Sad.
    Last edited by Huskinhano; April 18, 2017, 05:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by >>>>head View Post
    Chris, if you keep selling parts off both trucks, Brian will have to move this thead to "The $5,000 BangShift Project Car Challenge" section
    I wish I could get that much out of the parts I don't need. I am looking around the garage for other things to sell though. My current detailed guesstimate is $5,500 before parts sales are figured in. This includes transmission rebuild (with minor upgrades), full exhaust (including headers), minor engine work (gaskets, oil pump, timing chain, used cam, tune up), new driveshaft and fuel system.

Leave a comment:

• >>>>head
    replied
    Chris, if you keep selling parts off both trucks, Brian will have to move this thead to "The $5,000 BangShift Project Car Challenge" section

Leave a comment:

• pintoboy77
    replied
    We have a place called mendallson they sell bolts nuts washers all grades by the pound. They are a whole sell house they carry everything it is hard telling what you will find in this joint.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    We got a farm store called "WILCO". Sells all by the pound.. No need to keep a running total of all the different sizes..

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    I wish I'd talked to you guys before I ordered $30 bolts for my $40 bumper! Hopefully I'll remember next time!

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Ace has great drawers. I was quite disappointed moving to the big city to find out the drawers at Home Depot flat suck. But the Ace a little bit further down the road has fantastic hardware drawers.
    Good thing you specified "hardware" drawers or some wag would have made some dumb-a$$ comment - they always do. At our Ace they actually have BINS of SS stuff. Being near the Atlantic anything else simply goes away in surprisingly short order at least at the beaches. We're far enough off the water that galvanized holds up OK (they have that, too) but I often get SS just 'cause it's there.

BTW - it still says you're in Ely.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• pats91
    replied
    Worse than that, most of the stuff in the drawers at Home Depot or Lowes is in a plastic bag, making it hard to find a matching nut or bolt.

Luckily we have ace and true value stores around here, with both having nice nut and bolt selections.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Living in a seaside town our local hardware carries SS carriage bolts and about anything else in SS fasteners. It's great to just slide down the street to the ACE and pick up whatever I need! I do have to polish the heads if I want shiny chrome-ish but that's simple enough to do.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Picked up this bumper at a local salvage yard. I got it cheap because it is a little mangled and did not have any brackets (mounting or license plate). Ordered up all that last week and waiting on the SS headed bumper bolts. I'll hammer out the mangled parts a little, but it should have the perfect look for what we are going for. Looking forward to seeing it on the truck.

Name:	IMG_0175.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	1153413

Name:	IMG_0177.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	1153412

Name:	IMG_0178.JPG