• 74NovaMan
    replied
    I've been doing some shopping lately. This arrived yesterday:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0172.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	1153045

The fans are from a 97 Camaro. I used Car-Part.com to find it. The salvage yard is on the other side of WI (300 miles from home). I called them up and they shipped it the same day. $62.25 total to my door in 2 days!

I have an instrument cluster from a 1990 suburban (electronic speedometer) coming from 300 miles in the opposite direction.

Leave a comment:

• Huskinhano
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Three letters - ARP! I replaced the head bolts on our Windstar 3.8 w/ARP bolts (studs prevent removal of the heads in chassis) and no more head gasket failures. I'm not a fan of torque-to-fail head bolts.

Dan
    Oh... I just had cold sweats reliving when I changed the head gaskets on my Windstar when they blew. What a PIA.

Leave a comment:

• convss
    replied
    Have to agree with the ARP recommendation! We just put a 2008 5.3l in mysons 75 CJ5 Jeep with a Turbo 350 trans. Engine had Active Fuel Management, so we changed out the cam/lifters out to change to normal cam operation,and a big part of the kit was ARP fasteners. It's amazing how easy the ls motors are compared to the traditional big block/small block engines I'm used to working on.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Three letters - ARP! I replaced the head bolts on our Windstar 3.8 w/ARP bolts (studs prevent removal of the heads in chassis) and no more head gasket failures. I'm not a fan of torque-to-fail head bolts.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    All the bolts on those Motors seem to be torque to yield ! The exhaust manifold bolts are common for that.

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    Thanks but no thanks on the seats Chris!

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    I think.. Heard it said but do not have facts... That the head bolts are torque to yield, meaning one time use..
    Might look ito that..

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
    good idea to replace all fasteners with ARP bits... we've seen several of the factory fasteners on LS motors lose their heads quite literally!
    We're hoping not to dive to far into it. Plans right now are for a cam, water pump (for better hose routing), oil pump, and gaskets. The heads won't be coming off unless the compression is off or the exhaust manifold bolts break, which is a strong possibility. The front and rear bolts on this side have no heads:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0152 - Copy.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1152522

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
    Whats the chance of putting those leather seats in the pickup or are they too large for the cab or are you trying to keep it a 3 seater ?
    The seats are pretty awful (and probably too big) and we do want to keep 3 seats available. Planning on installing these:
    . Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9841.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	1152520

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Chris I just gotta ask - how did you decide on $302?
    I got every $ they had. We settled on $280 for the 3 doors and they were really interested in the rear bumper, which was tweaked and dented. I knew they were running out of cash because they were pooling their $ to buy the doors. I asked them how much they had left and the one guy said $22 and I said sold!
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; April 3, 2017, 07:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
    what condition are those front seats in? pix? I'd like to compare the upholstery to the Avalanche's...
    They are both torn and the whole interior reeks of mouse pee. I can get some pics if you like, just let me know.

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    good idea to replace all fasteners with ARP bits... we've seen several of the factory fasteners on LS motors lose their heads quite literally!

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    knocking 1 thousand pounds or more off the 5.3 driveline..
    that is going to be a nice truck.

Aluminum heads on the iron munch oem gaskets here local...
    maybe add a nice brand while it's all out
    multi layer steel or something.

I'd be finding a way to be all iron..

still going to be nice whatever you do with it.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Having recently completed a PnP search for replacement seats for Vanna the Van I noticed that pretty much ALL of the vehicles that I looked in with leather seats - well, they were trashed. Generally, at least at our PnP, the cloth seats were generally in better nick (been watching Edd China). Of course, a lot of the "leather" seats seemed to be be not-quite-leather except on the seating surfaces. The cloth seats usually needed cleaning and quite a few of them had what I suspect were seed pops (if you know what I mean) but all in all my conclusion is that, at least with current technology, the cloth ones last better. So it's interesting that "premium brands" generally feature leather.

The HHR seats I finally harvested seem pretty decent and even the foam still has it's shape. Besides, all the power stuff works, too. So maybe the moral of the story is that HHR seats wear like cast iron.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    what condition are those front seats in? pix? I'd like to compare the upholstery to the Avalanche's...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X