• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ImpalaSam View Post

Great news, Bo to the rescue.
    My last mechanic friend skipped town.

Comment

Yeah, the TA cover's are pricey, BUT they do seem to be quite well engineered and made. I have one on my 455.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

On to the next issue: The generator idiot light on the dash won't go out even when the car is off.

I have put 2 alternators in it, replaced the voltage regulator, battery and battery cables. When I put a multimeter on the battery, it read 12.5 amp at idle and 13.7 at about 2000 rpms. I think it may be in the wiring because the generator light flickers when I wiggle the connector going into the voltage regulator at the firewall.

Any insight from the Buick "braintrust" would be appreciated!

Comment

is it leaking water above the fuse panel? your issue sounds like a short because there should be no power to the light when the ignition is off.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

And check the ignition switch on the column. It may be shorting out.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              is it leaking water above the fuse panel? your issue sounds like a short because there should be no power to the light when the ignition is off.
              I don't think it's that. The car is garaged and I haven't washed it since I bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                And check the ignition switch on the column. It may be shorting out.
                It could be that. The key buzzer sounds regardless of whether the key is in the ignition.

Comment

And to be clear, I'm referring to the easy to get to switch low on the column and not the lock cylinder.

Comment

I'll add +2 to Randal's guess. Easiest thing to check, anyhow - just unplug and see what happens. That should have the same wiring as any mid-size GM of the era.

Dan

Comment

Been a few weeks since the last update. So I get a new ignition starter switch from O'Reilly's and crawl under the dash to check it out. I loosened the 2 nuts that hold the column up and dropped the column. The switch is on top of the column mid way down.Click image for larger version

Name:	steering column dropped.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1087939

Comment

So I take the old switch off and put the new switch on, making sure the actuator rod is in the hole, reconnect everything and raise the column up. I turn the key switch...nothing. No click, no anything. Tried it in neutral...nothing. Checked battery with a multi meter...12.5 amps. Checked connections...all tight. I took the new switch off and tried the old one (which still worked when I took it off)...nothing. Looked for loose wires, especially around neutral safety switch and everything is as it was when it would start.

Is there anything else I've missed that may be keeping this from starting? It shouldn't be this difficult, should it?
                        Attached Files

Comment

did you align the neutral safety switch with neutral?
                          do the lights come on? radio work?
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 22, 2016, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            did you align the neutral safety switch with neutral?
                            do the lights come on? radio work?
                            I didn't touch the NSS other than to make sure the connection didn't loosen when I dropped the column. BTW: the light and radio work fine.

Comment

It really sounds like an adjustment issue. But without looking, that's about my only guess (or a wire got knocked off)

Comment

The purple wire from the ignition switch goes through the neutral safety switch, then to the starter. Get out your test light, see where electricity stops.
                                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X