No announcement yet.

Good Grief! "Charlie Brown" 1972 Buick Skylark Custom convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ya know, in Car Craft this month they talked about an interesting issue where there was enough corrosion on the neutral safety switch that the started didn't get enough juice to start.... that said, I expect there would have been clicking rather then an open circuit
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Get some jumper wires and a couple toggle switches and a push button. I did this for my 79 capri when I had trouble with it starting, come to find out the wiring harness for the reverse / neutral safety was mangled. Fixed the wires and install the stock switch.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

When I bought my 84 C10 about 4.5 years ago, it came with a starter button rigged in the dash. Eventually, I troubleshot it - after changing the ignition switch and that not helping. Turns out the heavy purple wire that goes down to the starter was clamped between the block and the bell housing and had a high resistance short. Not a direct short, or shit would have smoked when I turned the key, but enough of a short that all the lights would dim and the battery voltage would drop a couple volts when the key was turned to "start".

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
          The purple wire from the ignition switch goes through the neutral safety switch, then to the starter. Get out your test light, see where electricity stops.
          I've been travelling a lot lately with my job. I'm going to get it up on jack stands this weekend and start testing from the starter back to the column.

Comment

Great to see the coverage on the front page. Nifty project, though I'm Buick-centric and a bit prejudiced.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo Regal View Post

I've been travelling a lot lately with my job. I'm going to get it up on jack stands this weekend and start testing from the starter back to the column.
              My '65 Impala had this wire melted when I bought it many moons ago. It was replaced with a 10 gauge wire from ignition switch to starter.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The wiring should be pretty straight forward to troubleshoot. If you don't want a surprise cranking disconnect the S-terminal wire from the starter, otherwise, just make sure no one is under the hood while you are checking and prepare to hit your head if the engine suddenly cranks Then go under the dash with a test light and check for power going into the switch (should be at least one constant hot wire) and a few of them should then light up when the key is turned to "ON", and then the purple wire should light up when the key is turned to "crank". If the purple wire lights up the test light when the key is turned to "crank" then you know the issue is passed that (such as neutral safety switch, or broken wire). If it doesn't light up then there is something wrong with the switch or installation of the switch.
                Last edited by TheSilverBuick; February 26, 2016, 01:59 PM.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  It really sounds like an adjustment issue. But without looking, that's about my only guess (or a wire got knocked off)
                  Bingo! We got the car up on ramps Saturday and started the car with a remote starter with no issues. I then used my multimeter to test from battery to starter to alternator to volt reg. to neutral safety to ignition starter switch with no issues. When I first put the ISS on the column, the switch was not fully engaged; it would physically bolt on to the column. I needed to shove it down and then bolt it on for it to full engage.

The new switch also fixed my "alternator light won't go out" problem as well. Which was great because it was 70 degrees out on Sunday so down went the top! Here's a pic with my helper, Ryan.Click image for larger version

Name:	Ryan in buick.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	1089262

Comment

the best part of any car repair
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

BTW: Thanks, Bryan for the Friday write up on the project on the BS home page; very unexpected but appreciated!

Comment

Nice!
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The Boy looks like he REALLY digs that top-down action! Nothin' like a good helper.

Dan

Comment

Does any one on here have any tips on getting hard water stains off of glass? This car must have spent time in an area with hard water and the glass is really cloudy. I've tried 0000 steel wool and soapy water, diluted CLR with little success.

Comment

They call it water here in Nevada, but it's really more like liquid mineral, I'm surprised we don't have the highest instances of kidney and gallstones in the country. Vinegar seems to work pretty well, just soak a paper towel and apply liberally, or just plaster the towel to the window if you have to, when you scrub and rinse be sure to use distilled, or at least softened, water or all your hard work will be for naught.

Comment

I'd try hauen's method first but if that doesn't git 'er done a buddy who washes windows as a side job has a once-and-for-all cure when nothing else works (it'll sound familiar). Mask off the surrounding area REALLY WELL (plastic sheet is a good thing to use) and apply Easy-Off oven cleaner. Use the old stuff (I think it's labeled "heavy duty") and use it according to the label instructions. It'll tell you how long to let it sit, etc. Buddy Dave says he has yet to see it fail.

Just an FYI - ME's windshield on the HHR had gotten stone pecked to the point that it looked sandblasted. I tried several cures but eventually we just had it replaced. Glass (at least for common vehicles) has come down in price from the olden days - I think hers was $150ish installed.

Dan
                                Last edited by DanStokes; March 5, 2016, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X