No announcement yet.

Good Grief! "Charlie Brown" 1972 Buick Skylark Custom convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I then tried to break loose the stuck steering linkage from the Pitman arm. I tried to muscle it off with just a hammer but the pickle fork had to be used to get it loose. After that, it came apart pretty easily. Then the bolts that hold it to the frame and off it came.

Comment

Even though I bought a new rag joint for it, the old one was in great shape so I reused it after I cleaned it.

Comment

The box went on pretty easily but we wound up taking it on and off 3 times to get the steering column, rag joint, steering box and pitman all to line up even though it only goes on one correct way. ​It drives great and it took a lot of the slop out of the steering on this car and doesn't leak! Now, I just have to degrease the old one, box it up and send it back to Hector.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1262.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1192947 Look what the Fed Ex man brought today. To be continued...
          Attached Files

Comment

Cool! Always a happy day when the Fed-Ex guy brings car parts (though I'm OK with UPS or USPS doing that, too).

Dan

Comment

Name:	Street grip.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1193907

So here's what I've got:

Dual rate springs front and rear
              Larger sway bars front and rear
              Adjustable gas shocks front and rear
              Taller upper ball joints
              Delrin front A arm bushings upper and lower
              Hardware

I am also planning a front disc brake conversion since I will be pulling the A arms off to put the bushings and ball joints on.

Comment

I've learned that GM offered some of their A bodies with round bushings and some came with oval bushings instead. My Buick had the oval ones and since I wanted to have the suspension pieces powder coated, I needed to find a set with round holes. This proved to be more difficult than expected. After striking out at a local salvage yard on 3 different cars, I found a good set with a seller on V8Buick.com.Click image for larger version

Name:	Aarm before.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	1193909

Comment

Name:	Aarm done.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1193911
                  I had a local powder coater give these and the upper ones as well the treatment for $50.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo Regal View Post

Name:	Aarm done.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1193911
                    I had a local powder coater give these and the upper ones as well the treatment for $50.
                    Love me some powdercoat! I've considered setting up to do it here - but haven't.

Dan

Comment

A friend of mine turned me on to my powdercoater. He has a shop behind his house and does work for local car and motorcycle guys. I'm not sure if he is compliant with the EPA but he is cheap (cheaper than buying the primer and paint) and does good work. He even includes sandblasting in the price.

Comment

As I understand it, sandblasting is a requirement before powdercoationg. My guy includes that too - but he's not cheap. I guess the price isn't high enough to push me into buying a blast cabinet, oven, powders, application gun, etc. And now he has a waterjet cutter.

Dan

Comment

It's been a while since an update. While I gather up the parts for a disc brake swap on the front, I decided to change out the worn out springs on the back. Ever since I got the car, the ride has not been good and it will bottom out on speed bumps because it sits too low. Guess why?

Comment

Some douche torched the springs to achieve the low rider look! I never thought I would be adding the Ridetech springs to bring the car up.

Comment

The kit comes with adjustable shocks and a thick sway bar for the rear and new hardware.

Comment

nice!
                                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                                X