88 Chevy truck. LS swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 Chevy truck. LS swap

I havent been on in a while and want to show my newest project. To start, a backstory. 2 years ago I started a divorce, at the same time I was finishing my 84 GMC Sierra project. I ended having to move fast and needed somewhere to store the GMC. I get a call from someone that wants to trade. I need a driver, as I'm driving my dad's Trooper. I agree to a swap as long as it's a Chevy truck and drivable, no projects. The swap turns out to be a 88 Chevy C1500 stepside, fairly new paint, hideous 20" wheels, and supposedly a reliable truck. I agree to a swap as long as the wheels arent on the truck. We get some truck rallyes and and swap trucks, title for title.

I drive the 88, for about 3 months and start having serious issues. Not having a shop or my tools nearby it goes to a GMT 400 guru. He keeps it for 6 months, the truck has problems on top of problems.Twisted wire connections in the gas tank for the fuel pump, loose bolts everywhere, I even found 4 missing bellhousing bolts. The fuel pump is bad, nearly all the sensors for the TBI have mold inside the connectors. The throttle body itself was moldy. The truck does get the bugs worked out, I even drove it to Ohio to spectate at last year's ECTA opener. This year I start losing reverse. Then it wont shift at all. My close friend is a LS swap junky. He participated in the engine swap challenge. Runs a LS swap You Tub channel. His first words let's swap it. We can do a LS swap for less than a trans. I dont know about it, I'm in a trailer with no shop. My tools are at my dad's house 50 miles away. I do not have the money. My child support is about half my monthly earnings. There is no way I can do a swap. The following Monday at work I get a text, how about a complete drivetrain, computer, harness $550? I call my girlfriend ask her what I should do. She tells me she'll loan me some cash, but to do it. An hour after that, another text. Whole 2002 Avalanche $750. I jump on it. I do drive the wrecked Avalanche it has high miles, but mileage doesnt worry me. After I sold everything on the Avalanche and the Avalanche's shell, I ended up making $45.

I moved one of my roll around tool boxes into my kitchen, and with help from everyone I can get from we swap the drivetrain in a Saturday afternoon, in my driveway. I'm now getting the harness worked into a stand alone, and have some loose ends to tie up. I will post updates from this point on. It's 34 out today, so I'm hoping I cant at least get the manifolds on and the radiator in.
    Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Don't attach the ECM directly to the battery tray. Make sure you have something insulative as a standoff between. Blazers seemed to be popular from what I remember back when I was hunting one up since they weren't inside the air cleaner housing like most FWD's where. Either way, get or make a plastic tray. Has to do with electrical noise.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
      Don't attach the ECM directly to the battery tray. Make sure you have something insulative as a standoff between. Blazers seemed to be popular from what I remember back when I was hunting one up since they weren't inside the air cleaner housing like most FWD's where. Either way, get or make a plastic tray. Has to do with electrical noise.
      on that note..
      great candidate for LED swap. Not expensive. The dash will thank you.My 96 is nothing like the original vortec.. fast as a later model. It did need a damn good fuel pump, but that is the same as today.
      thanks for sharing, did not know about the 1 inch set back plate. not that I would give up the l30 for anything.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
      X