No announcement yet.

79 Zephyr Bonneville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that is SO freaking awesome ! congradulations.
    as you said, "hero or zero time"--and MAN did
    you pull a hero out of a potential zero !!!

trans out and fixed, problem with boost tubes,
    trans fubar AGAIN, yet somehow you did it.
    awesome job. again, congradulations.

Comment

• Sweet! Have been very anxious to hear of your success!
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0791.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	510.7 KB
ID:	1177241 Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0773.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	526.9 KB
ID:	1177242Well I haven't got too far with the Zephyr so far. I got over 40 lbs of salt out of the rear wheel wells and I pulled the tranny and sent the gears to Liberty for new dogs and sliders. The case was corroded as I guess salt and magnezium don't mix so I had the case epoxy coated. I am going to rework the trunk so that I can add more ballast so I pulled the fuel tank and water tank out. Probably pull the motor this week end as I have some helpers this week end.

Comment

Name:	PIC_0795.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	556.5 KB
ID:	1179893 Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0799.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	481.2 KB
ID:	1179894 Well I haven't been working too hard on the Zephyr. Built 2 weight boxes for the trunk and took the pan off to check bearings. I thought some of you might be interested in the piston oiling system that I came up with. With the external oil pump I fed oil back into the original oil pump mount. I machined up the aluminum block that feeds the 2 stainless steel 1/4" lines that are drilled with 4 holes .030 in diameter to squirt oil at the bottem of the pistons.

Comment

Name:	PIC_0811.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	1192692Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0823.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	458.4 KB
ID:	1192693 It has been a while since I posted anything. I remounted the fire bottles at the suggestion of one of the tech officials and I modified the Long shifter as it was difficult to opperate the T handle style with SFI 20 gloves on. You can notice in the background my wall of lead bricks almost 800 lbs so far.

Comment

• It looks GREAT! I hope to get to Bonneville this year and if I do I hope to see you in Impound.

Dan

Comment

• Looking forward to seeing you. I think that I might have a chance to be in impound again as according to my tach my rear wheels were doing 185 MPH just before I left the traps. That is why I have been melting wheel weights.

Comment

Name:	PIC_0831.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	375.6 KB
ID:	1204939Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0828.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	445.8 KB
ID:	1204940 Well the Zephyr is pretty much ready to go. I ordered new tires that are not here yet so I have been working on a couple of other projects like putting a 427 ARCA engine in my 88 Mustang and giving my Model A a gasser look

Comment

• The 'Stang ought to be - um - peppy! I like the A, too.

Dan

Comment

• Well two weeks till the journey begins, started the engine today and it sounds just like last year. Have all new tires mounted and ready to go so here we go!!

Comment

• Best of luck, Hammer Down!
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• See you in Impound!

Dan

Comment

Name:	PIC_0833.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	393.3 KB
ID:	1210804Well it is loaded and those are the new Goodyear land speed tires. The wood box holds 300 lbs of lead bricks and the push truck has another 400 lbs so I hope that will be enough for traction. We leave Sunday morning as we have about a 25 hour tow so see you on the Salt

Comment

• I forgot to mention that my son will be posting on facebook at Rutherford Family Racing if you want updates or you can wait until I have computer access after the races. Thanks to all of you that have followed this crazy old man's dream

Comment

• Well, I'm not even a FB member, but I'm still able to view the pics & comments that James Rutherford has been posting

Thanks for keeping us in the loop James R!!

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Cheers!
                                James F

Originally posted by bukshysteve;n1210824[SIZE=18px
                                ]I forgot to mention that my son will be posting on facebook at Rutherford Family Racing[/SIZE] if you want updates or you can wait until I have computer access after the races. Thanks to all of you that have followed this crazy old man's dream

Comment

Working...
                                X