79 Zephyr Bonneville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 Zephyr Bonneville

I went to Bonneville as a crew member for a friend in 2008 and I really wanted to come back with my own car. I have been collecting parts for the last few years and am just starting to do the assembly. The engine is a 4.125 bore 2.4 inch stroke 302 derived Ford. To run in blown classic gas coupe it has two 64 mm turbos feeding a CSU carb. Everything that I have purchased for the engine is top of line parts. Titanium and Inconel valves, Pac springs, shaft mount rockers, custom Comp roller cam, Diamond ceramic coated pistons, Winberge billet crank I think you get the idea. Power goes through a Ram clutch to a Doug Nash 5 spd and then to a 9 inch Ford rear end. I am retired now so I will be spending most of my days on this car so I think I can make it this year if the salt is O.K.

That's involved for a build...and I think it qualifies as the closest thing to a "frame off resto" I'll ever see a Mercury Zephyr Z-7 get! Welcome!
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Thanks for the build thread! I have no idea of how slippery a Z-7 is but either way you'll have a blast! Watch your body mods to assure you stay in class and I'd involve a SCTA safety inspector from this point forward so that they "know" the car when you get to tech. It'll go a LOT more smoothly - the last thing you want to have happen is to tow all the way to Bonneville, get your room, etc. and then get bounced at inspection. Believe me, no one wants that to happen and they are happy to look at Emails, pics and vids, etc. to make sure everything is OK. If you look in the rulebook you'll find a page with the names of the chairmen of the various competition classes (Gas, Modified, Special Construction, etc.) and I'd start there for a Classic car. I'm kind of a tech inspector in training and have some clue but there are guys who know the book backward and forward and those are the guys you want.

A bit before the meet you may want to see if someone can come up to Alberta and take a look at the car to give you time to fix anything that needs changing. I know Dan Warner has done this for folks. I have no idea of the financial end of this but again you can contact them and get that info.

Interesting project!

Dan

Comment

This is going to be awesome! Can wait to see another unique build.
        CHECK US OUT AT:
        www.ridetech.com

Comment

This body style was used back in the day by Bob Glidden in NHRA pro stock. Ford wind tunnel tested his car and it is more areodynamic than it looks nearly as good as the same year Camero. Hope so!! I have also contacted 2 of the tech guys but have not mailed them any pictures yet.

Comment

WOW!
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Awesome...My very first car was a 80 Mercury Zephyr with a 200 I6 and a manual trans....I LOVE the look of the car and had high hopes for it but I just could not get it running on my weekend dishwasher job money...ended up sending it off to the scrap yard....Gliddens pro-stock was one of my favorites of the era...I cant wait to see this one move along!
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

The first circle track car I built was one of these. Always loved the Futura/Z-7 bodystyle. Will have to try to dig out pics and post sometime

Comment

Originally posted by bukshysteve View Post
                  I have also contacted 2 of the tech guys but have not mailed them any pictures yet.
                  Excellent! You're on the right track.

Dan
                  Last edited by DanStokes; March 25, 2016, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Looking at the standard Fairmont/Zephyr, they look boxy.
                    This and the Fairmont Futura are swoopier..
                    Should do very well indeed..
                    Buddy had a L-6/auto Futura, it was a nice handling car.. Granted, 6 was a little underpowered but it kept the heart beating!
                    Last edited by Deaf Bob; March 25, 2016, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I'm just hoping that someday you'll have salt good enough to run that thing to a record.
                      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                        I'm just hoping that someday you'll have salt good enough to run that thing to a record.
                        Me too, Stude - me too.

Dan

Comment

What is the record for your intended class?

Comment

The car will run in E/CBGC and the record according to my 2014 rule book is 152.351 MPH. The record for F/CBGC that has engines from 123 to 183.99 c.i. is 173.090 MPH and the record for D/CBGC is 209.236 MPH so I am fairly confident that I should be to break the E record.

Comment

Cool to see that you got virtual ink on the front page! It's a great project - hope to see you in Impound.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X