My get over divorce toy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My get over divorce toy.

My Grandpa bought this truck from an auction I'm thinking around 2002. It was an old Navy base truck. I put rockers, cab corners and painted it for him in 2008. He made me use the cheapest paint possible so it obviously needs painted again. It is a 4.3 engine with 110,000 miles on it. I got my engine builder building me a very nice 350 for it. So far I know it is a late model 350 4 bolt main, roller cam, roller rockers, vortech heads, and will be 10:1 compression. He is hoping for around 450 HP when done. I have a 700R4 already built for it so when ever I change over it will go in place also. My grandpa and I was always close till the end. I was even living with him when he died and I got that call from work that morning. I am thankful I didnt lose it in the divorce so I decided I will make it my new project since I will never get rid of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blue truck.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1097359

Name:	blue truck1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1097360

Name:	blue truck 2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1097361

cool truck
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Looks like a good starting point. It's good to have something like this to channel your energy toward. My brother went through a painful divorce about 15 years ago and he did the same thing with a 66 Chevy II. When he was done, he had a nice car and was ready to find someone new.

Comment

This is the truck I wanted to do turbos on also. My builder doesnt recommend it so not sure what to do on that aspect yet.

Comment

I love these stories.. And trucks!
          There is always "the next step"

Comment

Looks good, Troy! And as this points out, cheap paint is never cheap in the long run. I've sprayed more than a little of it but it really doesn't hold up very well. That said, I painted Mutt with a mid-grade but he's inside almost all the time.

Have fun with this! Looks like you and Julian can learn/teach on a great project.

Dan

Comment

My plan is once Julian gets his license, I will buy him something cheap to make sure he will be a respectable driver. Then when the time comes hand the keys over to him, to the next generation.

Comment

I have been hearing lots of these stories from customers lately. Seems dad's or granddad's pickups are now getting restored quite a bit now.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I know its not an old hotrod but its one of the last things grandpa an I did before the stroke. Everyone else in the family got an inheritence, I just wanted the truck.

Comment

One thing I always wanted for it was a step side so going to look for one. Also will lower it a couple of inches. I'm still not sure what to do on the rear end set up yet. This truck is a plain as it gets, power nothing, no carpet, no tilt steer. Also the running boards will be going away.
                    Last edited by chevybuytroy; April 14, 2016, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Trucks make great hot rods! I like it!
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

I've seen this generation Chevy done up a number of ways. IMO a very good looking design with endless modification possibilities.

A guy that frequents some of the car gatherings around town has one....paint is baked but it has nice wheels and a warmed over 350 and a clean interior...It's one of my favorites due to its simplicity.

Looking forward to future mods....
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I'll get a picture of the trans this weekend I built. It has front and rear 5 pinion planets, corvette 2-4 servo, wide band, 3-4 Zpack installed. I updated the alluminum pistions to 4l60e molded rubber pistons, bigger pan with cooling tubes, heavy duty seperator plate with some bypasses plugged. 4l60e forward sprag with extra lube holes, beast shell. Heavier springs in the 1-2 accumalator and in the 2-4. Only has 3 check balls in it now instead of 6 for snappier shifts. I did alot of mods on it to try out so it will either work or I'll be rebuilding it again lol. I mixed and matched a bunch of stuff to see what I can get away with.
                          Last edited by chevybuytroy; April 15, 2016, 07:16 AM.

Comment

I got the truck in the divorce, her dad was pissed, he wanted to scrap it. 88 1500, 4.3, auto, just like yours but red. Getting a vortec headed 400 and a repaint. Great to see you're doing one too, looking forward to watching your build. Wanna trade those wheels to me? I have a slot addiction.

Comment

Funny how Squirrel and I also love those slots!

Comment

Working...
                              X