No announcement yet.

My Green Machine (98 K2500 Suburban)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

with the cats, since you can't bring them to the heat - you could bring the heat to them by wrapping the pipes.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Well I've been using it and driving it. Put new door pins and bushing in it that quieted most of the door rattles up (need to replace the drivers latch mechanism as it's not aligned right and it's a common failure.

Recently I decided I wanted to tow with it and after trying to hitch the grill trailer up realized I have a 2in ball and I needed a 1 7/8in ball. Went out and bought an oversized shank 1 7/8in ball and after muscling the 2 incher off I discovered I had a heaver duty hitch in there that had a 2in ball with an oversized shank so fail there. That meant the hitch had to come out of the receiver so I could put a loaner in with the proper ball. After cutting the locking pin that I didn't have the key for off... nothing happened. The hitch was seized so well that even taking a sledge to it didn't budge it more than 1/8in. So after soaking it in PB Blaster for 3-4 days, this is what I came up with to get it out. Put carpet tape around a tree, attach comalong to the tape and then put a chain through the hole for the ball and attach the comalong to that. I tensioned the comalong up and proceeded to whack it with the sledge till it started to move then retensioned the comalong a few time along the way till finally it popped out with a yank on the chain leaving an 18in long stream of red structural rust flakes along the way. The inside was so bad I had to take a grinding stone to it and hammer a hitch in and out a few times before I could easily interchange hitches. Pictures of redneckery and the results.IMAG0558.jpg
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0561.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	1154083
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0563.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	957.1 KB
ID:	1154084
      Attached Files
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

been there...done that...too many times to recal... we now chech ours regularly to ensure it hasn't rusted in place...
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

They WILL do that. After being rear-ended a couple of times I leave my equalizing hitch receiver in place all the time (OK idiot, hit THAT!) but I do pull it from time to time just to be sure. When I pull mine I put a smear of bearing grease on the square before I slide it back in - so far so good. This brings up another question that I'll post in "General".

Dan

Comment

I had a slightly different issue with the hitch on my old Chrysler minivan, it had a locking hitch pin and I had no key for it. It was also rusted solid, the lock that is. A couple of sharp belts with a chisle had that issue sorted. Ended up having to remove the whole hitch to clean, repaint and reinstall properly. The dealer fitted hitch was missing a couple of important bolts! Also had to rewire the trailer plug properly, again not done correctly.

Comment

Welcome irsa! Always cool to have non-North Americans on the forum - a different perspective is interesting. Look forward to your posts. Remember to use lots of pictures and post real loud (but don't shout!) - we're mostly only semi-literate.

Dan

Comment

I never leave the pintle in. When I'm done, I remove it exactly for that reason so it doesn't rust in place. And oh, so I don't whack my shins into it either.
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I leave mine in so that people are extra careful behind me. I come to a complete stop at stop signs and that just doesn't seem to be normal here in CA so people like getting pretty darn close and a trailer hitch pointed at your radiator helps reduce that. Also makes a decent step when I need to get all the way back in the back an pull something out like home improvement supplies when I've got the 2nd row folded down because of lumber.

Do need to pull it out and grease it up after I get a decent drop hitch.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                  X