No announcement yet.

That Fresh LeMon Scent--1959 Edsel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks perfect! You can hardly tell you did anything! What new parts did you end up needing? Timing chain set, gaskets and rings?
    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
    79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

4 of the 5 cam bearings (the front one ended up being too tight, so I reinstalled the old one), rings, gaskets and seals, timing chain. Not much, really. I honed the block, and just cleaned everything else, no other machine work. I got lucky with the heads having already been redone before I got the car.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Win right there!
        Always nice when a plan comes together..

Comment

Can you pull the Pistons in with the connecting rod tool or is it mainly there to protect the crank?
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

That tool is one I've never seen and I'm an old fart. Chopsticks, of course, I've seen. Or a buddy to catch the rod as it comes down. I like that tool!

Dan

Comment

Yes that's the best thing about it. It works to pull the rod onto the crank. Makes it easy to line up the rod. Also works for pushing pistons out when tearing down an engine.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

BTW - Deaf Bob Emailed me a pic of an Edsel hood (who would name a poor, innocent baby "Edsel"?) but I can't figure out how to post it. Sorry to say, the hood in question was pink.

Dan

Comment

a 59 hood? does it have hinges? and a latch? I could use one, maybe I could pick it up in Monterrey in August

or email me the pic jforb427 at gmail
                  Last edited by squirrel; May 5, 2016, 01:14 PM.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    a 59 hood? does it have hinges? and a latch? I could use one, maybe I could pick it up in Monterrey in August

or email me the pic jforb427 at gmail
                    I know we bent our hoods. Cannot just use a different one I used to add Caddy hoods, they lay on top of fenders.. But on Edsels that center hump is just too high. I'll look for hinges and latches.. We do have a 59 Merc Turnpike Cruiser waiting in the wings to be built for a derby car.. The core support latch possibly be the same.. As the hinges. Hinges will be out at the farm someplace.. Gave Rich (Diglif) all our 64 galaxie stuff
                    There is also a 57 Ford wagon waiting.. Will have to look and see what we got..
                    Alot of times we scrap good stuff due to lack of place to keep it..
                    I happened to chat with Rich and before he stopped by, we had run 2 more Galaxies since we talked and got more stuff. So he got 2 sets of door glass and misc pieces for price of one..
                    Last edited by Deaf Bob; May 5, 2016, 04:44 PM.

Comment

sounds interesting!

I put the front brakes back together today, new wheel cylinder kits with all the other old parts. I want to replace the hoses, need to order them...and one is stuck to the metal line, so I may have to change that, too.

My brother is into electronics, so he's working on the sound system. He got a 75 Caddy am/fm/8 track player, and got it working. We'll make it fit into the dash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	radio.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1101265
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

Cool! I a couple boxes of of 8-track cassettes I can flat rate box you a few if you are looking for any particular band/group I can check.

Or if you want to borrow this adapter I can send it to you as well. I'd just want it back afterwards

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

If you can take a picture of the label end of a bunch of 8 tracks, that would be fantastic! we'll see what looks good. Although David's taste in music is a bit eclectic...he's mostly planning on cheesy 1970s easy listening-pop stuff, like Manilow, Anka, etc don't want to make the drive too pleasant, after all

My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

Fully counter weighted crank! 10,000+ RPM here we come!

P.S. Jim, you're my hero.
                            Last edited by Wolf; May 6, 2016, 07:11 PM.

Comment

There is something so industrial yet so freakishly backwards about the Y-block. Its like they made it super overbuilt in the "strength" department but weren't so adventurous with the OHV part of it. Lots of it look like a half hearted OHV conversion while the Olds Rocket was running off way ahead in the terms of what we would recognize now as OHV engine technology.

I doubt it but has anyone created a set of boutique "normal" heads for one of these?
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

cover of Hot Rod a couple months ago...a trick Y block engine!

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X