No announcement yet.

That Fresh LeMon Scent--1959 Edsel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. Overhauled the carb this morning. Played with the vacuum wiper motor and got it kind of working. Not good enough. Built a new battery tray to fit a modern battery.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

My '55 (like most Detroit cars of the era) had the same vacuum wiper setup, it was a pile (come to think of most vacuum operated accessories were pretty much crap). If you're in love with the retro wiper action you'd be better off wiring in a vacuum pump off a diesel. The wipers still won't work that great though. Probably best to convert to electric.

Comment

I have a leftover modern conversion wiper motor for a truck, that I could probably adapt...it would be more likely to work.

My fabulous web page

Comment

pics....the battery tray was designed for a group 29 battery, which is not so common these days. I made a new one from some old angle, bolted together, that will fit a group 24. Fitting the theme of spending no money, of course.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160514_120219.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	1102906

the guts of the wiper motor...the gaskets tore when I took it apart, so I made some crappy new ones from a manila folder.

Name:	20160514_142628.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	1102907

The car is mostly done looking, as done as it will be, that is. I'll run it without a hood and see how it works.

Name:	20160514_124330.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	1102908
          My fabulous web page

Comment

WHAT!?!?! no sealed hood class?
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Sealed no hood?

Let's see....the trans is connected up mostly, I got the overdrive cable and solenoid installed, as well as the speedo. It's not wired up though, I need to work on that one of these days, but it can wait. I got my new Chevelle gas tank today, it fit surprisingly well, I had to lengthen the filler neck, which was easy to do. I also got the new fuel pump, it does not have the vacuum side so it was not too expensive. I need to wire up the sending unit on the gas tank and see if it reads full when it's empty (chevy and ford used opposite resistances).

And I worked on the rearend, the pinion seal looked leaky and it seemed a bit loose, so I took out the pinion support, the nut was loose, and the seal was pretty bad. I replaced the seal and O ring and crush sleeve, so it should be good for a while.

Name:	20160517_130217.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1103477

Name:	20160517_132735.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	1103478

Name:	20160517_161425.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1103479Click image for larger version

Name:	20160517_161442.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	1103480
              My fabulous web page

Comment

You're right - that tank fits like it was made for it. So Chevy copied Ford, no doubt!

Dan

Comment

Can't believe you put that gas tank on the trunk lid! You might dent it or scratch the paint.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

what, the paint on the tank? yeah, it got kind of messed up underneath....

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Still waiting for a radiator hose...sigh...

But I took off the fan belt after I installed the driveshaft, and I put some gas in the new tank. And I drove the car out of the shop! yay.

The gas gauge works, reads F when it's empty, reads 3/4 full when it has 5 gallons. That's all I need to know.
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

• Just remove the tank and turn it over - it'll read correctly then! (I always have simple solutions, don't I?)

Dan

Comment

• Chevy sending units read backwards than Fords. Just like their dome lights are wired backwards.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Well, it WAS an idea.......

Dan

Comment

• What about the early (or late if this is an early) GM sending units? I know the sender on my 64 Riv was a different range (and I think direction) than the 96 Impala SS assembly I put in it.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• That old 90W gear oil must of smelled real nice!
                                Tom
                                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                                X