That Fresh LeMon Scent--1959 Edsel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Fresh LeMon Scent--1959 Edsel

time for the build thread. I heard about the new rally being put on by the 24 Hours of LeMons folks. It's a 4 day event driving around california and nevada in August. No dollar limit on your ride, but it has to be accepted by the organizers. I told my brother about it, and he was kind of ho-hum...until I sent him the link to the Edsel for sale on craigslist. That got him interested! I went up to Vegas and bought it, it's a real turd, which is just right for this event.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160427_102917.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	1100184
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

looks like makin it happen captain!!
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

what does it have for an engine?

Comment

I got the title transferred today, and a license plate. So I figured I ought to get to work. I pulled the motor, and took it apart.

It's a 292, 2bbl carb, 3 speed trans. Although someone replace the trans with an overdrive unit. And then the rear bushing and yoke got overheated (towing?). And someone else picked up the car with a forklift, and bent the driveshaft. So there is some work to do...I talked to a friend today, he said he might be able to get me another trans like that reasonable.

The engine looks pretty nice inside. It would not run, acted like it wanted to, but not enough compression. The rings on several pistons were stuck, and there is some wear in the bores. but the (original) bearings, cam, etc look nice. The heads had been redone, I have not taken them apart to see what condition they're in. I'm planning to just hone it and put it back together, with a new timing chain (lots of stretch), new rings, and new gaskets and seals. It should be fine.

Name:	20160429_184541.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	1100204
        Last edited by squirrel; April 29, 2016, 07:21 PM.
        My fabulous web page

Comment

Great plan!
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

In case you didn't know there are some idiosyncrasies with y-blocks, probably the most important is when you're putting the new chain in (unless you get lucky and have one of the OOOOLLLLDDDDD timing sets with the shiny links) to align the timing marks to the left (driver's side) and count 12 pins between them.

John Mummert's Y-block page is your friend. http://ford-y-block.com/technical.htm

Cool project, I look forward to seeing more.

Comment

Show everyone the unique intake port design of the Y blocks. Many haven't seen this set up.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I counted the links between the dots before I took the timing chain off...

Name:	20160429_181300.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	1100220

and here's the intake ports...yeah, they're different!

Name:	20160429_155556.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	1100221

My fabulous web page

Comment

Whoa, I'd never seen ports like that before!

And what is the deal with counting the links, what do you have to do if you didn't?
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

looks like a fun project. I always thought those Edsels were cool looking
                    Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

The dots are not lined up to each other, they are lined up perpendicular to the chain, on one side of it. the number of links between them ends up being 12. Pretty easy if you know that's how it works...or you look in a book...

I never though they were cool looking, although when I was a kid, the joke was pretty old. (Edsel was a joke)
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

A joke ahead of it's time..
                        Depends whom you talk to I guess..
                        Lots lots lots of 292 engines powered mill equipment. Stack carriers had them, hot rodders thought they wer the best to hop up because they were beefier..
                        Some older derby guys swear the 292's run glowing red hot.. And keep chugging on..50/50 mixture of diesel and super..
                        Should be a reliable little motor for your puropse..

Comment

I think the motor will be fine.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

I guess I need to process some pictures. I've been working on the engine, got a lot of parts cleaned up and new stuff ordered. I decided the cam bearings need to be replaced, they are pretty badly worn, especially the middle one, which is what feeds oil to the rockers. Lousy rocker arm oiling is a common problem on these engines, for several reasons. I also spent a while cleaning out oil passages, they're not spotless now, but they are open at least. I also honed the block.

A friend gave me a 57 overdrive transmission, it looks nice on the outside, cleaned and painted, but I need to look inside and see what it's like. It has coarse splines instead of fine, so I need to get a different clutch disc, and a driveshaft yoke. But it should work.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Sounds like good progress. Looking forward to the pictures and the next update!
                              Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                              74 Nova Project
                              66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                              79 Chevy Truck Project
                              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Working...
                              X