Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'92 Chevy 1500 - flip truck or kids beater...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something about the clutch on my old one, I understood it was supposed to fill w/ brake fluid, with a pretty-good leak and my having no time to fix it, I was going through a lot of brake fluid. One day I ran out and I needed the truck to work, I just filled it with ATF, figuring what could be the harm since I was going to have to go through it all anyhow soon enough. The leak stopped (?!), it worked great, never needed filling again.

btw I thought that was a pretty great transmission, easy shifting - perfect ratios. V6 and V8 same units I believe. I did shorten the shifter by 3" or so, which you have to do up the shaft a ways as there is a rubber damper at the bottom. The rubber cladding around the sides just peels back then you can push it back down again as I recall.
    Last edited by Loren; January 23, 2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
      Glad it gave out while parked!
      Me too! What are the odds of that happening?
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Nice! Glad it's proving cheap and pretty reliable.

may have a chance to buy my great uncles 97 truck, similar body style, it's an life long TX truck, no rust anywhere, 350 tbi, auto, supercab short box 2wd, it's got 140k on the clock, steering is a bit loose and I think the brake booster diaphram has a leak - you can hear a hiss when the engine is running and the brakes don't feel quite right. We were down there for a long weekend to help celebrate his 95th bday and 70th wedding anniversary. I have plotted a plan to fly down and drive the truck back with another rust free car in town, 1256 miles....
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

After completely disassembling and parting out a '94 c1500 last year and then buying this one and putting some miles on it, I'd have to say "Grab that '97!" I am really impressed with them overall.

Are they perfect? No, but they are a darn good product.

Keep me in mind if you decide to off-load that truck.

95 and 70th.....wow. My boss' mom is 90 in a couple weeks, I immensely enjoy talking with her.

Last edited by STINEY; January 25, 2017, 08:37 AM.

Comment

BTW...l think you might like this... My boy Sean (AMeanXtreme) put one of these on his Xtreme... He loves the short throw shifters!
            ONLY FITS NV3500 manual trans specific to these models - GM RPO MG5,aluminum case. IF your transmission has been serviced, it MAY REQUIRE A DIFFERENT BASE. The base is built by Core Shifters using proven components inside a custom housing.

Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
              Something about the clutch on my old one, I understood it was supposed to fill w/ brake fluid, with a pretty-good leak and my having no time to fix it, I was going through a lot of brake fluid. One day I ran out and I needed the truck to work, I just filled it with ATF, figuring what could be the harm since I was going to have to go through it all anyhow soon enough. The leak stopped (?!), it worked great, never needed filling again.

btw I thought that was a pretty great transmission, easy shifting - perfect ratios. V6 and V8 same units I believe. I did shorten the shifter by 3" or so, which you have to do up the shaft a ways as there is a rubber damper at the bottom. The rubber cladding around the sides just peels back then you can push it back down again as I recall.

The clutch has done some weird stuff off and on. It "loses" throw to the point that it will not disengage, add some fluid (even though the reservoir is 1/2 full?) and it works correctly.

The pedal has to be all the way on the floor to disengage though. And engagement is right off the floor......I personally like them adjusted up at the top of the pedal, so this is annoying to me. Might be a sign of a worn disc?

Next time I'm thinking of adding ATF to the brake fluid. I'm understanding that yours was empty Loren? Wonder how ATF will mix with mostly brake fluid?

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Wonder how ATF will mix with mostly brake fluid?
                It would have had to still have some brake fluid in it, just not enough to function (I believe my leak was down at the slave), so it must have mixed OK. You may have a leak at the master where fluid is just slipping by the plunger, perhaps the same solution (puns happen) would help. Of course, I can only tell you the anecdote and how happy I was to not have to further mess with it.

Comment

Just thought I would mention that since I haven't had time and the red vette isn't out of the garage yet , I've been keeping a small bottle of brake fluid in my car and every so often I would top it of when it woul get to where it had to be on the floor to get disengagement. Well it got to the point that I was putting it in every morning . Then I figured that I was going to be fixing it pretty soon whether I had time or not . I had been planning to try Loren's idea eventually sincevhe mentioned it on the 23rd of January. So I tried it two days ago and haven't had to put any more yet ! Mine must be leaking out the plunger then inside the car some because it has stained two pair of good shoes . Anyway I will keep you guys posted on if I have to refill it .
                  Last edited by Dan Barlow; March 27, 2017, 04:56 AM.
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Took the truck Tuesday morning, it had leaked down again. So this time I did the ATF trick. It was the same deal, reservoir was still 1/2 full, I just topped off - actually overfilled a tad.

I may be imagining things, but I do believe it has gained some pedal travel. The release is not RIGHT off the floorboard, its actually a couple of inches above. Very interesting.....will keep the longer term results posted as well.

Comment

Still not had to refill. 😀
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

BTW...l think you might like this... My boy Sean (AMeanXtreme) put one of these on his Xtreme... He loves the short throw shifters!
                        ONLY FITS NV3500 manual trans specific to these models - GM RPO MG5,aluminum case. IF your transmission has been serviced, it MAY REQUIRE A DIFFERENT BASE. The base is built by Core Shifters using proven components inside a custom housing.

Been wanting to pick one of those up for my Dakota.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_50774.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	1151784
                          Yea, sitting that long I cant believe the tank is any good along with the fuel pump, also the clutch lining is probably shot after sitting for so long. Looks like it needs some cab mounts too.
                          I just picked up a 97 ext cab beater myself, 4.3 5 speed .
                          Last edited by Jim Rockford; March 28, 2017, 05:20 PM.

Comment

miraculous addon.
                            if you got the big ends (v8) nv3500, it is a must have. the plastic bases are truly terrible.
                            I saw the insides of these and wondered who on crack cocaine declared them weak.

it is the forks getting slopped around by a plastic base.
                            the only error.

the gm manual tranny fluid is a must have too. Very expensive. I never need to think of it.

the 4.3 may have the small ends, and those get a rebuild in some interval.. it is not even difficult.
                            if your nv3500 is quiet, assume it to be the small ends. The v8 sounds like a straight cut. You know when you got the big one. Even the gear changes are more tractor trailer engage, audible from outside, every shift. Very defined metallic.

I love these models. I still look around just to have two of them.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Update : Had to fill up the reservoir for the clutch this morning . The only bad thing is that the rubber cup / gasket inside is now somewhat shriveld or warped . I think I only list fluid because of this .
                              Last edited by Dan Barlow; April 5, 2017, 05:17 AM.
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I bought a new master cylinder and it didn't have that upside down cup spacer / seal . It just has a somewhat flat seal . So it holds more fluid . $40 at Autozone. So I topped off my master and went to put the new cap on the old cylinder, since I don't have time for that now. Yep, new cap is bigger. So I pulled 5he large rubber gasket out of a gm radiator cap and cut it down to fit in the ild cap . Works great , again. Could probably make one from a wide b I ke tire inner tube .(BMX or mountain bike)
                                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                                X