• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1970 Buick Skylark part II

it's all surface rust.... no worries
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

As long as it rotates and ain't seized, looks like you got a screaming deal. Head studs cost more than $50.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I LIKE a Buick in a Buick. Why can't a 250 Chevy fall into my hands like this? One with big lumps on top of the pistons......

Dan

Comment

a 250 could fall into your hands, it'd just have to a get a good roll from my 81 truck to your house. you'd be on your own for lumpy pistons - as this motor is as stock as they come.
          tomorrow i'll pull the pan off the motor and see what I've got..... it's so close, price wise, as to whether or not I'll do this motor or the 455...... the one thing that I like about the 350 is the huge ports on the heads - those could flow some decent numbers...
          what I need to fall in my lap is an aluminum 350 intake - that would decide it for me.

Comment

Another 250 is always welcome. It's the domed pistons that are a hold up for a better engine right now, though. I do have a sneaky idea for a set, though.......

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
              Another 250 is always welcome. It's the domed pistons that are a hold up for a better engine right now, though. I do have a sneaky idea for a set, though.......

Dan
              I do hope it involves JB Weld ;D
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I don't have pictures, but the crank needs to be turned; and I doubt this motor has more then 500 miles on it. The rod bearings are worn to the copper..... but this motor is perfectly clean inside and out.... even still has the hatch marks on the cylinder walls..... I've not measured yet, but my guess is they bought the wrong bearings... std. bearings, but the crank looks to be turned down - thus low oil pressure....
                In other news, every load bearing fastener in this motor is ARP and - crank and heads have studs.... what a deal, 45 bucks for a block full of arp bolts

I'll finish pulling this apart tomorrow, then decide what to do.... there's just enough missing from this motor to make doing much of anything to it almost pointless..... so how about a Buick cover over a 5.3 with a cheapy turbo?

Comment

Now you are talking.....Why just a 5.3? Go for the 6.0.... ;D

Seth
                  200 mph or bust.......

Comment

5.3 is 500 bucks, 6.0 is at least 1800.....

Comment

Doh......I can get them locally for $800.....5.3 it is..

Seth
                      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

The gods will not deal with you mercifully if you pass an opportunity to put a proper Buick engine into it!!

I'd take that 350 off your hands gladdly for cost if I lived close enough. I'm stating to think it might be a better idea to put a Buick 350 into my Riv and turbo it instead of the 4.1 V6.
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

there is an evil part of me that may turbo the wee out of the Bu 350..... it has head studs, main studs so it'll break somewhere else....would cost having the crank polished and a re-ring kit. I measured the crank, it's stock 2.00 - so I'm still not sure why this motor lunched itself..... obviously didn't get oil, perhaps even from first fire since one of the oiling holes in the crank has surface rust in it...... and the saga continues - bright side is if I do turbo the Buick, I can use those turbos on the 5.3 later.... plus, they put LS 5.3 motors in Buicks so I'm not straying so far from the Buick fold... plus, the reason I'm not using the 455 (it'll saw in half with the power I hope to make) means it's still a survivor for a more modest build.

Plus, the Buick god is dead, they sold him to the chinese and he was made into egg flower soup and the rest of him was used to make Cheri s.

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                            Plus, the Buick god is dead, they sold him to the chinese and he was made into egg flower soup and the rest of him was used to make Cheri s.
                            I'm going to pretend I didn't read that :P
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                              Originally posted by Buickguy
                              I'm going to pretend I didn't read that :P
                              Me too, otherwise we'll both have to go over to his house and extract some old fashioned justice on him.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

:D :D

Comment

Working...
                                X