1970 Buick Skylark part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1970 Buick Skylark part II

What a shame! I bet the machinist was pissed. All his/her good work ruined by poor assembly.

Dan

Comment

Damn. Yeah you got to be carefule around the oil passages. So is the crank fried? I can't tell from the pic.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

the rearward most journal has a 1/8" scallop out of it.... if it were irreplaceable, it'd be fixable..... as it's a 350 buick - I'll just find another one.....
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

wow, it's been almost a year since I've updated this..... I just got a new motor for the car..... a smoking deal. Bu455, t400 transmission, 1971 motor. New cam, new timing chain, new oil pump.... AND NEW Offenhauser intake for it!!! $500.00... I also got the poston motor mounts, and the motor is super clean on its exterior.... will post up pictures tonight - but heaven knows I'm so excited to finally get the stuff to get my car back on the road.

Comment

Man are you lucky, $500 for a BBB is a killer deal.

Comment

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick
              Man are you lucky, $500 for a BBB is a killer deal.
              Screaming deal.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

X3 on what a good deal you got, WOW!!!!
                Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

:o To work! ;D
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

SCORE!!!
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Good to hear you got a Buford for it, I always throw up in my mouth a little when I see a mouse in anything. Interesting it has a Th350 behind it. I prefer Pontiacs but Olds and Buick are still good and much preferred over those orange lumps. $500 is a good deal on it, especially since its dressed already. Never have been terribly fond of the oil pump setup on a Buick, they could have done something better.

Congrats!

Comment

nice catch on the 350... I thought "t350" typed "t400"... I had a t350 behind the blower motor that was in it before and it survived, but I agree that it will be interesting to see how it works when I put the intake on it and add some headers... fortunately, I have several t400s and an overdrive for the t400 so if it doesn't last it won't be a huge deal to switch it out....

Comment

Ive broken a Th350, two Th400s, a 2004R, and an M20 behind the 455 in my 70 GTO. Heavy car, lots of grunt, and highway gears seem to put a bit of stress on transmissions. To be fair it was the converter in the 350 that went, and the 2004R was tired, and one of the Th400s had a snap ring pop out so the clutch on the center support decided to stop working. A couple of the Th350s I built years ago are still working in low 12 second cars, so they can hold up pretty well.

Always wanted a Buick like that, and an Olds of the same vintage would be nice. I doubt I would get to them with the 15 Pontiacs ahead of them in the list though.

Comment

I hear you about the projects in Que.... the two I have going now, plus the one in the wings is almost too much. The car has 3.73s, so I think the biggest problem with the 455 will be shredding tires.... 525 lb torque is a bunch for such a gear...

My dream transmission is the one randall has in his Buick (SilverBuick) a 6 spd would be quite nice behind the 455 with the 3.73s

Comment

Yeah 455s dont like or need much gear, I used 4.10s to slow down the drag car to avoid having to cage it. Outa steam by 1000ft means you dont run too fast. I like 3.08-3.42 for them. With 3.73s you can run a 29" tire and it works out to over 110 in the 1/4, provided the converter doesnt slip too much.

Comment

I've never run this (or any) car at a bonafide drag strip.... may just have to do it with this one just to see what it does

Comment

Working...
                                X