Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1970 Buick Skylark part II

Originally posted by Buickguy
    I've never run this (or any) car at a bonafide drag strip.... may just have to do it with this one just to see what it does
    Careful-it's addictive!

I know people do it all the time but a TH350 behind a big block scares me. I ripped the input shaft out of the front drum in one with a very mild 406, and if you look at them funny the intermediate sprag comes apart. TH400=peace of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed
      I've never run this (or any) car at a bonafide drag strip.... may just have to do it with this one just to see what it does
      Careful-it's addictive!

I know people do it all the time but a TH350 behind a big block scares me. I ripped the input shaft out of the front drum in one with a very mild 406, and if you look at them funny the intermediate sprag comes apart. TH400=peace of mind.
      I'm a bit concerned as well because the 455 has about 200 lbs more torque then the blowen 406 that was in it before - I'm hoping the gearing saves the transmission. If not, I'll build a 400 for it and put the gear venders overdrive on it (future plan).... but for now, I want it to drive ;) and do so on a reasonable budget.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed
        Careful-it's addictive!

I'm a bit concerned as well because the 455 has about 200 lbs more torque then the blowen 406 that was in it before - I'm hoping the gearing saves the transmission. If not, I'll build a 400 for it and put the gear venders overdrive on it (future plan).... but for now, I want it to drive ;) and do so on a reasonable budget.
        The gear should help. When I blew that one up the car had a 2.56 gear in it, and it let go shifting into third. Get it running! ;D

Comment

need to figure out exhaust - truly I need to find some headers..... that will be the only real slow-down on putting this back together..... but in any case, it blew up May 1st last year; and, not matter what, I will have it driving before that date this year.

Comment

Headers shouldnt be that hard to find, its not like they never put the 455 in an A body, for the level you are working on the cheap Summit headers would work. I have run them on my 455 Pontiacs and they actually fit pretty good. Thats if they make them for a Buick, no idea why they wouldnt.

Comment

I hear you about the projects in Que.... the two I have going now, plus the one in the wings is almost too much. The car has 3.73s, so I think the biggest problem with the 455 will be shredding tires.... 525 lb torque is a bunch for such a gear...

My dream transmission is the one randall has in his Buick (SilverBuick) a 6 spd would be quite nice behind the 455 with the 3.73s
              Mine's actually a 5-speed ;) but who's counting right? ;D

I can dig up the pictures later, but you may want to grind/cut off the casting ears on the block just below the deck for header clearance. I've got pictures in my thread somewhere during the engine building phase where I did that, and a picture of where the headers sit after the fact. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture before I cut them off, so I really don't know the actual clearance gained, but it looks fairly apparent they'd be in the way installing the headers after the engine is in the car (as I did).
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

thanks man, that's very good to know - will do tonight

Comment

Using my Makita 4 1/2" Cutting wheel followed up by the grinding wheel.

Before:

After:

Hmm, I know I took a picture of the clearance between the block and headers, but I must not of loaded it online, I'll have to do that when I get home tonight.

In retrospect, I probably shouldn't of left the mains exposed to the cutting and grinding :-\ But so far no adverse effects

Comment

I was looking at my stripped block, and figured those were the tabs that needed to go. Although, I'm seriously considering making headers for the car for several reasons (thus eliminating the need to grind). 1) the cheapest I've found for headers was from YearOne at 573.00 delivered; and 2) I want to move the motor back closer to the firewall.... I suppose there is a 3rd reason. I have Poston motor mounts and they are shorter than the stock mounts so there could be some major header issue anyway. Oh yeah, and I'm lazy and hate grinding dust/sparks (4th & 5th reason).

Comment

They don't actually interfere with the headers, they just are a pain to work around when the engine is in the car. Even with the cast stock manifolds they can some times be a pain when the exhaust is still bolted to the flange.

Yeah my shorty headers weren't on the cheap end of the scale, but there isn't much out there commercially.

Comment

I have the flanges, and some 1 3/4" tube for headers.... working on 2 1/8"..... so now all it takes is a bit of work (and some material for collectors. ;D

Comment

As promised.

I kind of wish I cut them off after I had bolted the heads on that way I had a before picture, but oh well, you can tell the ears would of been close.

Comment

wow, thanks.... I'll have to start posting pictures of building the headers. I know on the driver's side real estate is scarce; so cutting those off will certainly help.

Comment

The Buick is now Buick powered again
                              It went in so easy.... I didn't even remove the crossmember and it slipped right in.... now to build some headers and to figure out which motor mounts to use....

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

Working...
                                X