X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squirrel
    replied
    thanks!

more video...I think there was something loose in the ignition wiring, it seems to be working better now. Also has belt and hoses, water in the radiator, transmission and rear axle installed.

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    Sounds great Jim!

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    Harley eventually patented that sound... LOL

I still grin every time I fire up the new kohler 20hp twin I put in the 85 john deere - it sounds like a Harley! thankfully it doesn't leak like one. LOL.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    yeh, it has that low compression 4 cylinder pocketa pocketa sound

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    VERY cool! Don't tell the Chevy guys but it sounds (more or less) like a Model A. Or an 8N.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    got it to run for a bit, still need to get a lot of stuff working right...like the starter, ignition switch, choke cable, throttle pedal, etc. And a new lower radiator hose. And maybe a fan belt.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    My new points came in the mail today, pretty darn quick! I put them in, now I have to mount a coil in there, and get the carb back together, and the vacuum tank back on. I already installed the flywheel and clutch. Then, I can see if it fires. Fun

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    Thanks....I'll give this one a try, then let you know

I pulled apart the vacuum tank today, it's what they used for a fuel pump. It has a few rust holes I need to solder up, but the float seems to be intact. I dont know if all the little vacuum valves are working properly though.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    I know John Deere "Johnny Poppers" and 55 Oliver tractors use the same carb.
    Johnny Poppers are 2 cyl, Oliver is OHV 4 banger.
    Last edited by Deaf Bob; July 11, 2016, 09:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    Jim if for some reason you need a different carburetor - I have a few Zenith 1 barrel updrafts I was collecting to find a good combination of parts for my 50's flat head 4 continental in the forklift I could send if they'd be any help.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Wonderfully unsimple..

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    I played with the transmission and clutch today, got them mostly all ready to go. Although I need to buy a new throwout bearing, which is a carbon donut, and kind of expensive, over $50. The trans was full of water, but it also had enough thick oil in it to protect it from rusting very much. The clutch did not have oil, so it got rusty...but I was able to sandblast it clean and get it working again. Pretty easy pressure plate assembly to work on, if you have a press.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160710_095840.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	1113478

Name:	20160710_115603.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	1113479

Name:	20160710_124322.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1113480

Name:	20160710_204007.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1113481

Name:	20160710_181336.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1113482

Name:	20160710_203945.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1113483

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    The axle being back 3 inches affects the steering, as well as the mechanical brakes. The pitman arm is back quite a ways when the wheels are straight ahead, since the drag link is now three inches too long.

I'll figure out something....

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    I had an axle from something larger (like 40s era 1 ton chevy) that clearly hit a post almost dead center in the middle.... funny thing, though, it drove just fine. How much will the bend affect the alignment? better yet, can you heat and bend some camber into it when you fix it? think of autocrossing it

Leave a comment:

• leleva
    replied
    That car took a hard hit to bend that axel, I bet you can save the axel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X