No announcement yet.

squirrel's 1928 Chevy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds WAY good! Makes me wonder why it was parked.

Dan

Comment

Cant wait to see Jim cruising down the road in this with a leather skull cap and flight goggles!
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

That sounds real sweet.
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Probably it was parked because the front axle is bent back 3" on the driver side....makes it hard to drive...
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I assume it will remain 'naturally aspirated'........
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

give that azz some brass
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Will late model wheels bolt up or are you going to fix the original wheels?
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

It had a wire wheel on one corner, and I know that modern wheels will fit where wire wheels were...so it should work to put newer wheels on it. I have some old 16s, but no tires. I also have some wide aluminum slots and I might have enough tires to do that. It would look pretty funny, but it would be rolling for no money, which I like
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Keep it up you will be driving the 28 before I drive the mustang. Wheels and tires, bend the axLe and other bits and you in business!

How is your wood working skills? Think you can replace the wood on the steering wheel?

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

I was just looking into that...I could probably make something crude, and if I were clever about it, I could fix it up later so it's nice.
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

Do you know how the original was made? Did the steam and bend the wood or cut it out of a large block.

I am sure it will look great, add some poly and make it shine

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

I found a way to do it that looks really slick, and I might even be able to do it...

My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            I found a way to do it that looks really slick, and I might even be able to do it...

http://woodworkerszone.com/wiki/inde...Steering_Wheel
                            I know you have the skill as long as you have the tools or find a way around you will be golden.
                            Last edited by Russell; July 14, 2016, 05:04 AM.

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

The scariest part of that project (for me) would be determining the exact inner diameter of the wheel so that it lays perfectly in place on the metal part of the wheel. Too large and you'll have to use spacers. Too small and you'll have to mortise the wood until it fits... but yes, it looks like a fun project and one you can be proud of.

I'd probably use Spar Urethane in a satin finish. Spar Urethane is more durable than polyurethane for exterior applications. I don't know about using shellac... but I'd probably ask a few experts before I used anything.

Comment

Probably it was parked because the front axle is bent back 3" on the driver side....makes it hard to drive...
                                Well, there IS that!

On the wheel - the link you posted is way cool and I have no doubt that you could pull that off. It look really good when done. On the finish - I did a table for ME where I used automotive clear cost and it works GREAT - and tough as nails.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X