squirrel's 1928 Chevy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bolt it to a piece of plywood hold a marker on the end and spin

I would not want spacers but mortise would not bother me.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

I don't think the size will be a problem, I can figure that out. And I also thought of a way to make it without having to use finger joints, so I would not have to buy any equipment...would not be quite as nice, but would fit more in the theme of easy/cheap/crude. We'll see what happens. I also have to make the floor, which is probably what I'll be working on this morning, until I get around to removing the front axle. And I investigated wheels/tires a little bit last night, I have a couple 16s with old old tires on them, one holds air, the other hisses...I need to remove part of the right rear brake to get it to fit, but it might fit on the front as is. I also have a couple 15" two piece rims with tires that were originally on my 57 suburban, but they probably won't clear stuff on the brakes/steering.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

That steering wheel build boggles my mind. I cannot for the life of me get things cut to such perfection.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I found one that might be a more easier way to do it, although it's for a wheel with a steel rim, which I don't have to deal with.

Library Article: How to build your own wooden steering wheel: Justification, Budget, Objectives, Donor Wheel, Design, and building a Prototype. at The...

Anyways....wheels...tires....these will get it rolling for now

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160714_073347.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	1114013
          My fabulous web page

Comment

Amazing.

So how long before you drive by the guy's house that you yanked it out of the field from?
            Last edited by TheSilverBuick; July 14, 2016, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Oh, it'll be a while til I want to get it out on a real road, I think...
              My fabulous web page

Comment

After seeing the "alignment adjustment" on the Chevy II, I'm curious to see if you come up with a fix for the axle or if you simply replace it.

Comment

I got it more straight, but not all the way.

Name:	20160714_101646.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	1114052

Name:	20160714_100706.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	1114053

My fabulous web page

Comment

I should have checked Facebook before asking about the axle! I wondered how you were going to go about it, and a press FTW!

Are you putting heat to it too?

Comment

• No heat...my torch is kind of small for that, and it bends ok cold where I can get it set up to apply lots of force.
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

• Here's another method one can use without buying the fingerjoint equipment. I like the alternating of light and dark colored materials, but if you don't, using all the same color would make the joint less visible.

And with a project the size of the steering wheel, probably only use one dowel, instead of three, in the center of the where the wheel would be:

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                          That steering wheel build boggles my mind. I cannot for the life of me get things cut to such perfection.
                          this guy makes it look easy... but he does that a lot. My stuff, I'd have more luck screwing a frisbee to it. Jim did some work on the camper and truck bed that looked pretty good from here, I bet he's got a plan that will work.

I'd think about using a side cutter in the mill, and I'd probably still get it wrong. Lol.
                          Last edited by Beagle; July 15, 2016, 03:32 AM.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Ah heck, just put a decent size log into the lath and cut out a nice circle, band saw it into a half dozen circles, then chuck one back up in the lath to grove an inside line in until it pops off the outside ring. Sand smooth and call it a day Only need a lath that can handle an 18"-20" diameter right?

Comment

• yeah, my 9" south bend isn't up to the task.

I got a couple of scrap boards that I recently took out of the inside of a shed I'm demolishing. Ripped them, then cut them into 10.5" long trapezoids. I set them on a piece of plywood, and then did some figureing and screwed them together. Then I figured out how to mark them to show where I should have put the screws, and where to cut the circle. I cut it on the band saw, then used a roundover bit in the router and did the edges. A little sanding with the DA and it's done.

Not as stong as I'd like, nor as smooth, but hey, it's on the car...

Name:	20160715_081525.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	1114153

Name:	20160715_083556.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	958.6 KB
ID:	1114154

Name:	20160715_090150.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	1114155
                              Last edited by squirrel; July 15, 2016, 09:13 AM.
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

• Looks good to me.
                                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                                X