No announcement yet.

squirrel's 1928 Chevy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pretty easy and quick once you get the angle figured out.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• we're working on some ideas for getting our 32 Chevy mobile again.... Possibly a 292 and one of the T-5's stashed in the shop loft...it all depends on what time we can spare which doesn't seem to be much these days...
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Old chevys are fun! I got to go for another drive today, after fixing the carburetor some more.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Very nice work Jim , nothing holds you back !

Comment

• this is so damn cool. such a simple little car. Its neat to see just how complex cars of this era were.
            Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• there's nothing Jim can't do - and faster than anyone else on the planet. WELL DONE!

Someday I'd like to have a 32 Chevy like my Dads first car, with a rumble seat.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• I know one thing Jim CANNOT DO....

Sit idle!

Comment

• that's for sure!

I got a proper seat installed, and also adjusted the steering column angle down a bit. The steering gear is clamped into a bracket, which is riveted to the frame. Makes it easy to turn a coupe into a speedster, just drop the steering wheel several inches.

The charging system is working, cooling system is working, clutch works, transmission works, carb is working pretty well, ignition switch works, the brakes are terrible. But it's good enough to drive a little ways, on dirt roads. Oh yeah...did I mention it has an inch or so of toe out? It's getting there. I'm working on body ideas now. Sort of an early race car look, with what you might call a boat tail (it would look like the bow of a boat, upside down). but relatively crude. And cheap, light, and easy to build. We'll see how far that gets.

I'm also considering doing some metal work to the cowl, to make it more narrow, and give a flat surface to attach the front of the body to, as well as give it some strength, and a sort of dash board (made of wood, of couse). The original dash is kind of rusty but solid, and in decent condition, I don't really want to cut it up. And the original gauges are trashed from rust, so the original dash won't do me much good anyways. I'll save it for someone who needs it.

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Dumb question, Jim, but could you repurpose the bow of a boat? We have lots of them for cheap around here (maybe not so many in your neck of the woods) that are no longer suitable for water transportation so they're cheap.

Dan

Comment

• I probably could, but it would probably be more work than just making a body....

My fabulous web page

Comment

• A gentleman I met at the Great Race in Norfolk Va once showed me a t speedster where the boattail fabrication started with a repurposed hood from the 40's... just an idea....
                        Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• Yeah, I've gotten that suggestion from a few guys on the HAMB already. It's a neat idea, especially if you can find a hood! But I don't really want to get into that much bodywork, I think....and I also want to make it look more like a 1930s built race car. I think. Not quite sure yet!
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

• from what I've seen of your work, It'll be awesome....
                            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• Thanks, I hope so! or at least it'll be intersting....it should be fun....

My fabulous web page

Comment

• Cowl work....

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160721_090624.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1114954

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160721_093547.jpg
Views:	77