69 Chevelle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 69 Chevelle

Ok, Here is the deal. When I was 15, my dad bought me a 69 Chevelle SS for my first car. Its been sitting in a barn for 30 years. I want to give it to my son for his first car but I know it is going to need some major work done. What is the best order I should follow for this project?

brakes & steering should always be first on the list to me...
    sounds awesome. your boys going to pee himself when you
    reveal the surprise...

Comment

Start with the safety stuff like fatguy said. Making it run should be fairly easy and being a Chevy there are all sorts of possibilities - crate engines, transmissions, etc. Remember that Scott Liggett on here is the guy you get on the phone when you call BluePrint Engines and he'll take good care of you. Unless you and the boy want the engine building experience (and there's plenty to be said for that) BluePrint can generally send you something good for less than you can do it yourself.

Mostly, have fun with it!

Dan

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am in the process of trying to get it shipped down from Michigan. Talking to my dad, he seems to think I could drive it but would rather not take the chance. It currently has a 350ci but I can see putting a 396ci back into it once he is out of HS.

Comment

Anyone know the best website to buy 69 SS parts?

Comment

Other than the fiberglass body parts, this is a good sequence of events. Suspension, brakes, engine, trans, plumbing, wiring, glass, appearance. You can work on multiple parts as you wait for others. If you have a good running engine already, that saves time and money. This is aboiut as low buck as you can get and still have mostly new stuff going into it.

It was a beautiful day today, so I started on this thing. First thing, I hate mice, second thing, this just might be the least rusty A body I have. After yanking the poo infested interior and cleaning the detritus left from sitting since 1976, the floors are surprisingly intact. Less than 2 square feet of metal will be needed

Comment

Originally posted by Parma View Post
              Two that come to mind are National Parts Depot and Year One - though there are several others.

Sitting for 30 years? ...where to start? It will need a lot of work and new parts to make it safe.
              Fuel system: the gas will have turned to varnish. Varnish, if not completely removed can cause intake valves to seize, bending or breaking pushrods, So either replace the gas tank, fuel lines, and fuel pump, or thoroughly clean and flush them with acetone. Once you get the car running (with a new fuel filter), be sure to change that fuel filter frequently for a while if you didn't install a brand new fuel system.
              Engine: Lots of people have gotten engines running after sitting for long periods of time. Sometimes a "mechanic in a bottle" like Marvel Mystery Oil is helpful in getting gummed up lifters working properly again. Removing spark plugs and spraying something like PB Blaster into the cylinders (then letting it sit for a while) to help release stuck rings is a good idea.
              Brakes: Rust probably built up inside the brake components, so replacing as many components as are available would be advisable, because brakes are pretty important, or so they say. ;) .
              Belts, hoses, seals and gaskets. These will probably be hard and brittle. While the car may start and run without replacing them, they will likely fail soon after you get it running, so I would replace them all.
              Tires. Again, hard and brittle, and surely deteriorated on the inside. Not safe at all.
              Electrical components. Be prepared to have electrical gremlins to hunt down. Unused electrical components will likely have a fine layer of corrosion after that much time has passed. Corrosion doesn't conduct electricity very well.
              All fluids. Brake, Oil, Transmission, Antifreeze, Differential, Grease in front wheels.

Rather than doing this work by myself and then surprising the new owner with his "new car", I would involve him in as much of the restoration work as possible so he has an appreciation of the car and is more likely to treat it like the classic it is - rather than just a "car"...and learning how to turn a wrench and troubleshoot issues will be important skills to have when owning and driving a 47 year old vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Parma View Post
                Camaro Central is a good place. Never mind the name they also deal in Chevelle and Nova parts. Ausley Chevelle is an A-body specific parts supplier as well.
                I have been to Camaro Central and talked to their guys. They are a really good group of people and very knowledgeable about all of the parts they sell. I have not been to Ausley's but i have heard nothing but good things from my co-workers.
                CHECK US OUT AT:
                www.ridetech.com

Comment

Working...
                X