The Electric Pickle - 1955 Chevy Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Electric Pickle - 1955 Chevy Truck

Ive been horse trading parts with a friend for almost 20 years, engine parts, wheels, complete vehicles, we've hardly ever exchanged money and so i gave him my 1956 F100 truck cab and front sheet metal I knew I would get something in return later down the road when I needed to clear out my driveway. That day came when i went for a visit and he told me to haul off a chevy truck cab he had in his yard (hes a hardcore ford guy) so having a chevy around caused constant ribbing from friends. So with some ingenious loading he got the cab in the back of my chevy truck along with fenders, hood, and bedsides
    Click image for larger version

Name:	55cab.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	1115789

Name:	loaded.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	1115790
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

The fun part was unloading, sucked being by myself but having my neighbor let me borrow his antique caterpillar forklift (they were actually called tow motors back then) it made the job a helluva lot easier

Name:	forklift.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	1115792

Now the parts arent exactly perfect but they are in pretty good shape considering they have been on the gulf coast and 60 plus years old

Name:	parts.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	1115793

Comment

that looks like it could be a truck one day!
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Needs a Trans Am front clip, and a rear frame of sorts
        Almost there...
        Grew up wanting a 49-56 Ford, once I was 16-7-8 all I wanted was Chevys.

Comment

2x6x1/8" rect tubing will make a frame....
          My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            2x6x1/8" rect tubing will make a frame....

There ya go..
            Can stretch a T-bucket frame to match your body mounts...

Man! it is easy to blow up someone else's project

Comment

Good luck and have fun with this one! And post pics! (Like I need to remind YOU of that!)

Dan

Comment

I was thinking S-10 or caprice frame. But making a frame from scratch is on my bucket list.

Looks like a fun project. Or you could make everyone mad and put it on a crown vic frame and keep the 4.6
                Last edited by Russell; July 27, 2016, 05:31 AM.
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                  I was thinking S-10 or caprice frame. But making a frame from scratch is on my bucket list.

Looks like a fun project. Or you could make everyone mad and put it on a crown vic frame and keep the 4.6
                  Ha! That would definitely ruffle some feathers
                  CHECK US OUT AT:
                  www.ridetech.com

Comment

My problem is, I always think about things like an engineer. Truck frames and sedan frames are quite different, since a sedan has a roof that holds the car together, while a truck needs a frame that has more bending resistance in the middle. And modern truck frames (meaning made after 1959) are different than old truck frames. Old ones are flat. Old trucks are designed for a flat frame.

But yeah, the possibilities are endless.

(yes, I made a frame for a car once, it was fun!)

My fabulous web page

Comment

I would modify an old truck frame before I use a modern car frame (or modern truck) not only for trasons Jim listed but flexability.. You can stand on a rear corner of a Vic frame (ANY modern frame, really!) and jump and watch how much it flexes before the suspension starts to react..
                      Adapt modern stoppers to the older frame!

Comment

Patina truck! I had a friend throw together a 57 stepside with a 350/350 combo he had laying around and an s10 rear from pull a part. Fun truck and it gets all the looks at the cruise ins.

Comment

Name:	framed.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1116094

you can see the S10 carcass behind the 55, I am using SWB S-10 frame/suspension for the truck, its pretty narrow but it will give me the chance to run a extremely wide wheel tire combo and have a very low stance and be able to keep the wheels and tires inside the fenders

Comment

lifted up the body to position on the frame where i want it, currently have some wooden blocks between the frame and body so that the body doesnt hang below the frame, the front suspension is stock but once i get the engine and trans in i think the stance will be exactly where i want it and if i want to go lower i can always swap the front coil springsClick image for larger version

Name:	adjust.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	1116096

Comment

to get the front fenders on and fit the grill assy I had to hack off the front frame horns, those will be capped and mounting area for the new custom fabbed core supportClick image for larger version

Name:	adjusted.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	1116098

Comment

Working...
                              X