No announcement yet.

Help with my 69 Chevelle 396

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I bought a hand pump going to just hook up down by the fuel pump and pump it out , how I did it last Time , hopfully i don't get a lot of rusty crap, then I might add like 2 gal of new gas then pump that out as well , would I just need to stop by any part store for hose that can be used for gas , by the foot ?

Comment

Pictures of the car tomorrow guys

Comment

Do u guys think I will have to buy a new gas tank , I'm running out of time fast cuz I have to clear out the garage no later then the 31st also only have time over the weekend ,

Comment

Originally posted by Brian28 View Post
          Do u guys think I will have to buy a new gas tank , I'm running out of time fast cuz I have to clear out the garage no later then the 31st also only have time over the weekend ,
          I let my Mustang sit for sixteen years with gas in it and dropped it recently to "clean it".. yeah right. Rusty gooey stinky mess. If you're running out of time, then yes, buy a new gas tank and sending unit and pickup. The beauty of a car with lots of support in the aftermarket is you can get one reasonably priced.

You probably could clean it, but it will likely require a bunch of time and effort. Pulling / replacing rust filled fuel filters every time your car stalls sucks a lot of fun out of it.
          Last edited by Beagle; August 13, 2016, 02:51 AM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

probably not, but certainly drain the tank - if the gas is rust-colored, then you have a couple of choices, replace or get some kind of tank coating/rust repair. Even if it does have some rust in it, you don't have to replace it right now - as long as it doesn't leak. If it leaks, the options really go down. With that said, a new tank is $130.00 so it's not the end of the world. But as you said, you don't have time for this and the fastest/easiest way is simply drain and refill. If you do buy a new tank, be sure to get new pads, straps and bolts because they may not come off in a reusable manner.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Thanks , I hope it's not crazy rusty , it sat with a full tank till about 5 years ago, then the last 5 years had half tank
              Last edited by Brian28; August 13, 2016, 06:57 AM.

Comment

full tank is better the half tank but honestly you should be fine. If you do drop the tank to use the de-scaler, be sure to get a new filter sock (if available). If not, take the sock off. And to underscore, be sure to use a clear filter (the cheap plastic type) just before the carb to catch any debris. Change it regularly for awhile...

Comment

I totally agree with SBG...
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I was thinking about getting the see tho fuel filter , I think I will just buy a full new tank set up if I need to do anyth to it , for the money to clean it can't I just get a new one for around the same price

Comment

Comment

It's coming along good , got the motor back together , going to start pulling the gas now , then change out all the fluids and if I can find the wheel lock key get the wheels off too look at the brakes , hope all I'll need to do is just replace the rubber brake lines for safety since I'm not too sure if the e brake works , also got a new rubber for the gas line off the pump , is there other places I might need to change , really all the rubber I can see really dosent look half bad but looks can be deceiving

Comment

Nice car bro! Love green cars and such a story to go along with it. How's the interior?
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Needs a lil work but it's all there , the driver seat on the part were u sit has a tear , I wish I could find my dads buddy my dad bought new front seat stuff and paid him to do it , about 6 years ago I talked to him he said he still had the parts and if I bring him the front seats he will still do them for me at no more cost so I hope I can find him agin , just pumped out the gas I hope that it all came out, I can't seem to pump out anymore , about 5 years ago I empty it and put 5 gal in , i only got 1.5 back out , should the gas gauge go down by it self or will I need to hook up the battery ? , the good part is the gas smelt good and also was still very clear ,
                            Last edited by Brian28; August 13, 2016, 03:16 PM.

Comment

you need to hook up the battery (it works by electrical resistance). That's about right on an vented system - gas will evaporate, but you still need to clean the tank because what evaporated left a glaze that will make your life miserable if you don't clean it out.

nice car.... no power steering, BBC - FTW!!!!!

Comment

No power steering but my dad bought a kit before he died I found most of it today need to find one more part to it

Comment

Working...
                                X