Help with my 69 Chevelle 396

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my 69 Chevelle 396

My dad bought this car in 1970 , once he had my sister and me the car sat for a very long time , he wanted to finish the car before he died , it was just about done when he died in 03, I was 15 and left the car to me , i managed to hang on to the car till this day . I am 28 now , Iv desided I'm old enough To drive this car now , it did sit in a garage for most of the time , the sitting didn't do well , witch it's not really that bad , just need to do some work now , so far I took off the carb to have rebuilt , also pulled the dizzy to be tested and new points , empty the gas and got new gas , new battery , new plugs , new coil , new cap and plugs , sprayed mystery oil in each spark plugs , next weekend I will turn the motor with a wrench a few times and spin the oil pump to get the oil around the motor . I lost the keys and pulled the door lock in hopes they can make the key for it , next weekend I will have the time to work on the car agin , I will be checking out the brakes on the car in hopes they are okey , when the car was parked it just had all new brakes on the car , is there anyth I am missing before I try to start the car ?? Also will be replacing all fluids .at this time after the stuff I listed already , I only have about 2-2200 I can spend on the car right now , what should I do to the car ?? This car means the world to me becouse I grow up with this car and ppl always trying to buy it , witch my dad always said no , since he died Iv had eveyone try to buy it , the car is priceless to me , and it's time to finally drive this car , I use to work on it with him and we would drive it together , car shows and dropping me off at school , since before I was born he would say this car will be left to his son , I hope to do the same , my son is 3 and I want him to drow up with this car and one day be his , any help u guys can give me will be great , I don't have ppl to help me with info , I'm a single parent of my son and I don't make much money, but this has been a long dream to finish this car , and one day I will finish it agin , but right now I believe I can get it running and driving with all new fluids though out the car , and have about 2000 left for the car, what should I fix 1st and what should I do once I have more money for the car , maybe tax time I will have a few more grand for the car , and anyth I do to the car I want to do stuff that will make the car worth more and not less , the car is mostly all org everyth besides like the Chrome around the wheels and valve covers , but the wheels , seats , badges , motor , rear end ect. is all org parts. Thanks

Prime the oil pump with an electric drill. You can easily buy or make a tool for that.
    The door lock will have a number on the side something like "12K6" any old established GM 'stealership' should still have the key cutting
    tool in the parts department. Easy Peasy.
    See my build at: www.1932auburnsedan.com

Comment

I pulled the lock I don't see a number , will I need to go to a Chevy dealership or any lock smith place be okey ?

Comment

also if down the road I update the brakes and suspension would it hurt the valve of the car ? Should I leave it stock as much as possible , anyth I pull off would be saved , but I know it really needs new bushings , I think that is where I'll start to spend my money just not sure witch ones to use

Comment

Check all the brake hard lines for rust. I would just replace them, they're cheap enough. Same goes with the wheel cylinders and brake calipers.

One of your best resources is here right on forum. Don't be afraid to take on tasks or to push yourself. The more you can do, the more you can get done.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I believe I can do the work my self well the bolt stuff that is , when I was 14 this was the car I would work on , did the brakes my self back then , when I was 15 I blew my 1st import car motor didn't have anyone to help so I bought a motor and just figured it out as I went , before all the YouTube help , also I had little more money then I thought , have about 2900 for this car right now , I really want to know if the brakes do need to be redone if I should get a 4wheel disk brake kit , I was one 396.com or something like that , it had full kits for like 800-1000 wanted to know if that stuff is junk or if I should just spend the 1500 and buy the willwood kit , or if that one isn't good ether , if my dad was around I wouldn't never of done the import cars , I would have been 16 with a 68 Camaro , so I don't know a lot about these cars , I know parts are way cheaper then any import I have built in the pass , or if I should replace any brake stuff with keeping it as close as stock as i can , I don't want the car to lose value with replacing new parts on it ,

Comment

Rear discs look cool but aren't needed. Before I would buy a rear disc kit I would go to the junk yard and look for a later model that had them. I'm s Ford guy so I may not be up on everything. As far as front disc, if you don't have them or are looking to go with larger try the B body. They usually had 12" vs 11" on the A body. I believe you would have to redrill to the 4.75"

Before you start spending money on bling to the basics, get it running and driving. Enjoy the car and the memories. You can drive or enjoy a car that's in pieces on the garage floor and don't have the money or time or both. I've seen it happen.

I own a 66 Mustang that looks like a POS. I only do one job that's obtainable at a time and that can be a struggle. I'm trying to finish getting the new old motor up and running.
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Are the brake lines hard to do ? Will the motor and suspension need to be pulled as well ?

Comment

Total props and major kudos for hanging onto it, that's pretty awesome!

Don't spend money until you have to. Does the brake pedal go to the floor? if not, wait until you move it down your driveway (and test the brakes) before you spend a penny on them.

Where in Oregon are you? I'm from Oregon and my family lives there (there's also Deaf Bob who lives in Oregon as well) who would help you if you need it.
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 8, 2016, 07:10 AM.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

If you are not going to sell it don't worry about the value. Sounds like you are on the right track. Post pictures, ask question, try to do one thing at a time, it's easy to get bogged down in big projects, don't forget the tires even with good tread they could be aged out.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Yeah I do need to spend the money where it's needed , I did the brakes back around 02 . But from sitting they can be good or bad , I know it needed bushings back then in the front end so I think I should get that done , I from Portland , as a kid I Remember pushing so hard on that floor board as my dad drove , and i would see the street then the sky , back to the street then the sky throw all the grears , I'm glade it's the 4speed and not a auto

Comment

And yes it does have the stock front disk brakes on it , what cars came with rear disk that would work ?

Comment

Should I have the tires pulled off on looked at , Iv never let them go flat as it sat , it has been moved ages time from moving around , but this last time it has not moved for 5 years

Comment

Look for dry rot cracks on the tires, if they look good I would wait, and use them for testing the other systems and around town. Long trips or hard driving could cause them to fail.
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Yeah I'll never sell it so I'm not worried about the value of the car that way , but I need to have it appraised for Insurance purposes and I don't want it to lose value becouse if anyth ever happends to it i want the most money I can get from it , (don't we all)

Comment

Working...
                              X