No announcement yet.

Help with my 69 Chevelle 396

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ball joints are a wear item - toss it, they make correct ones; but most don't have the ability to rivet them onto the control arm.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      ball joints are a wear item - toss it, they make correct ones; but most don't have the ability to rivet them onto the control arm.
      I ment more like the the tie rid inner and outer + the steering linkage , I just bought a full after market kit , but the old stuff is tore up but not bent , the guy that is working on it sad just toss it , but I don't want to toss anyth that was org. Unless it's junk and there is no point on hanging on to it

Comment

• I wouldn't replace what doesn't need to be replaced - too often the new stuff is of such inferior quality that the old, used stuff is better. I get what your guy is saying, save what isn't broke - but at some point your shop will look like my shop full of "it just needs ____ and it will be perfect".... I honestly have stuff from the 80s that has that statement attached to it...

Comment

• Sounds like my storage bus, barn, and garage. I work outside because there is no room to work inside. Why? SBG just said..
          Do I need 20 newer GM small dizzy caps that I have one motor for? The boxes-packaging just went away... Lots "crap" that is taking up room, going to get junked I'd be screwed ROYALLY if I ever have to move!

Comment

• Yeah Iv only been replaying what has to be , the steering joints boots are blown and not holding Grease so I bought a new kit for it , and i wanta save anyth that is org. that should be saved but I don't have a lot of room right now so I don't want to hang on to crap that is crap with no need to hang on too ,
            Last edited by Brian28; August 23, 2016, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• If it was Jay-Leno-collectible-rare, save it.... otherwise, toss it.

Comment

• There are ENOUGH perfect, low miles, sad, chalk marked and... Of those cars saved already..
                Use it, enjoy it, make dad proud!
                Since you say you will never sell it... Why not make it yours?

Comment

• Yeah I think I'm just going to injoy it with out Replacing what I don't need to , car has 36k on it very very low miles
                  Last edited by Brian28; August 23, 2016, 03:40 PM.

Comment

• Got all the front end work done , now just needs to go to the line up shop , and she will be safe to drive ,

Comment

• Hey guys , Iv been trying to find the build sheet , don't have many more places to look , I found his under the back seat , it has info on it , it was really hard to pull out it was raped around the bar that the seat gets stapled to , it was braking as i took it out it was missing a small part of it , the only thing is I been looking to try to find others online like it but I haven't seen one , have u guys seen one like this ? It has my last 3 vin on the serial number spot on 2 options has ss , and for the tranz it says 20 , so m20 right ? There is more info I just can't make it all out since its hand written, is this a good start to prove its a ture ss ?

Comment

• That's the build sheet. Do whatever you can to document the discovery and piece together the page. That thing is GOLD especially for that year in documenting a true SS car.
                        Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                        74 Nova Project
                        66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                        79 Chevy Truck Project
                        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• you struck gold on finding the build sheet!!! sip lock bag it, and make some copies so you don't have to handle the original too much!
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Trans "20" is more likely than not "M20". As in Muncie..
                            There are ways to check by crawling under the car but they escape me now..

Comment

• There is a tag on the side of the M21 (close ratio w/2,20 1st gear) Muncie in my '68 El Camino with the numbers 3924706 but don't if that identifies it as a M21. I know it's an M21 because it's the original transmission and I've had it apart enough to know it's an M21. Here is a website that will tell you which trans you but it but you may have to pull the transmission. You most likely have the M20 (wide ratio w/ 2.52 1st gear) Muncie unless you have 3.73 or higher diff gears (mine has 4.10).

http://www.nastyz28.com/chevy-manual...a_close_button
                              Last edited by dieselhead; September 10, 2016, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• I ran the tag on the tranz ,it said it was a 69 m21. And I believe it's the close ratio becouse it dose not drop very much rpm when I shift only like .500

Comment

Working...
                                X