No announcement yet.

Help with my 69 Chevelle 396

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On my build sheet was a number , 796 , I found 796 on the car today, what would this number be for ?
    Last edited by Brian28; September 17, 2016, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• Hey guys so thought I'd ask u guys something,I want some more power in the Chevelle , I have 3k to spend , I a bare 427 block and a extra set of closed chamber oval port heads , should I put the 3k into building that motor or put the 3k into the 396 motor , I have the 350hp l34 , with headers and torker 2 , 780 holly dubble pumper 4 brl , my thought was to build the 427 motor , save the 396 motor for back up or if I ever want to put it back in

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian28 View Post
        Hey guys so thought I'd ask u guys something,I want some more power in the Chevelle , I have 3k to spend , I a bare 427 block and a extra set of closed chamber oval port heads , should I put the 3k into building that motor or put the 3k into the 396 motor , I have the 350hp l34 , with headers and torker 2 , 780 holly dubble pumper 4 brl , my thought was to build the 427 motor , save the 396 motor for back up or if I ever want to put it back in
        My son had a 1970 SS396 chevelle, and did just what you are contemplating. I say go for it, my son was very happy with the result!
        Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
        Gregg and Deb Miller
        Verona, Wi.

Comment

• a 427 is a 396 crank in a 454 block....

with that said, there is no substitute for cubic inches
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Sgb yeah I haven't got a crank yet becouse I'm not sure what I want to do , I can get a 396 crank for 100 bucks , or I could go with a stroker and .060 over for a 496 block , how does it work the bigger the cubic the more streetable hp ? So a 500hp 396 not very stree table vs a 500 496 motor , with the bigger cubic ur getting better torq ? But also what is going to be to much for the car ? I want a good motor I will be happy with but I want something I won't have to make a lot of changes for , I still want the car to look stock but have some nuts under it

Comment

• Remember, you're building a CAR not just an engine - a common error. You'll need brakes, enhanced handling (maybe shorter, stiffer springs, etc.), and some way to control the torque (track arm or some such maybe). I don't know how you plan to use the car but a cage may even come into play. I'm NOT a Chevy guy but this is pretty general truth. Look at what Chrysler did when the built the Hemi cars - more trans, bigger rear, frame reinforcements, etc, etc. Chevy did the same thing with the L88 cars IIRC. So plan on upgrades all around.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian28 View Post
                Sgb yeah I haven't got a crank yet becouse I'm not sure what I want to do , I can get a 396 crank for 100 bucks , or I could go with a stroker and .060 over for a 496 block , how does it work the bigger the cubic the more streetable hp ? So a 500hp 396 not very stree table vs a 500 496 motor , with the bigger cubic ur getting better torq ? But also what is going to be to much for the car ? I want a good motor I will be happy with but I want something I won't have to make a lot of changes for , I still want the car to look stock but have some nuts under it
                Generally speaking, the more cubic inches, the more torque. Adding 50 cubic inches to an engine makes a big difference to the seat-of-the-pants feel. Going from a 350 to a 400 was surprisingly dramatic to me.
                Also generally speaking, the more cubic inches, the lower the gas mileage. How much driving will this car see? I know of cars that didn't get used nearly as much as they used to because of how much gas they drank after thousands of dollars of performance upgrades!
                What kind of driving? Mostly in-town driving or lots of highway road-trips? The rear gear ratio you go with also will make a big difference in how quick your car is ... and effects gas mileage and highway cruising. When I took the 4.30 gears out of my car and went with 3.31 gears, it is MUCH better for cruising 55+ mph, but leaving from a stop feels like I'm leaving in second gear (compared to how peppy it was with the 4.30's)
                As far as streetable? That's completely subjective. I used to drive my car on the street with a spool, manual steering, 5200 rpm stall converter, 14:1 compression engine burning 110 octane race gas... just not very often and not very far. Now that I'm done with racing, it has power steering again, a milder 4000 stall converter, 11:1 compression, etc... and I could drive it all day. I think my gas mileage may even be back in the double digits :D

Build the car to please yourself. 99% of others will be just as impressed with it whether it has the 396 or a 496. A 454 with a pair of aftermarket heads, mild cam that still allows use of stock torque converter and makes good vacuum...
                Here's what a quick google search on 454 engine combo's brought up. The dyno sheet of the first combo I saw showed 491 hp and 531 tq with a pretty mild, totally streetable setup.

Comment

• My plans for the car is to keep it looking as stock as I can , but have some better power out put , I drive to work and back on nice days , its more of a Sunday car , and where I live we have a few months in the summer and a few days in January witch is my favorite time to drive cuz it's cold and Sunny , so really it don't get every many miles , I drive 10miles off freeway to work and 10miles back ,I would also like to go to the track once or twice a year and have a good time so really I just want some more power but nothing too crazy , I still want it to still look almost stock besides a alum. Intake , So really I don't know if just putting a good top end on or building the 396 block as well or doing something like a 427--496 type of motor ,

Comment

• Well I dropped money down to build my motor , I hope a 496 motor won't be too much for what I want

Comment

• 496 should be done soon , all head work done , block is being test fitted with parts for the last matching work , just got a edelbrock rpm air gap last night for it , just need a clutch , oil pan , water pump , everyth eles is paid

Comment

• who did you have build the motor?

Comment

• A family friend that has a shop all he does is build motors and race motors , he been building big blocks since the 70s I'm my area he was well we'll know for his motors , he use to race , then he did the boat drags for years , now he just builds motor , and plus he isn't charging me very much to do it all for me , i paid him 150 for the block , 150 for the head and 600 to do the work with porting the head and bigger valves, block work , blue print and balance as well just had to buy all the parts

Comment

• not bad

Comment

• So I'm trying to figure out what to run for the rest of my drive train , I'm building a 496 motor , it will be right around 600 for torq and hp , I'm looking into a carry or what ever the name is lol 9in rear end , and having the local drive line shop build me a drive line , but I'm having trouble deciding on what tranz to run , but not going auto , the ones Iv been reading about are the m22z(m23) or going t56 5 or 6 speed , I'm just not sure if I want to cut my tranz hump , what kinda power and tranz are u guys running ? How do u like it ? And Would u have done somthing diffent if u could re do it , the m23 to t56 5 speed is not much more , but the 6speed is about a 1000 more then the 5speed one , the car is built as a street / strip build , it will only see the track a few times a year , so I would like the tranz to hold up for a few runs at the track here and there ,

Comment

• I'm running a Tremec TKO 600 in my 68 Chevelle behind a beefed up 396 and stock 12 bolt rear. You should have no problem holding your 496 power and torque, and American Powertrain makes it so there are no trans tunnel mods necessary, pretty slick setup! Go with a 3.73 rear gear ratio, will give you about 2000 RPM at 70MPH, depending on rear tire size. You are looking for a Curry 9inch?
                                Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
                                Gregg and Deb Miller
                                Verona, Wi.

Comment

Working...
                                X