Help with my 69 Chevelle 396

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by convss View Post
    I'm running a Tremec TKO 600 in my 68 Chevelle behind a beefed up 396 and stock 12 bolt rear. You should have no problem holding your 496 power and torque, and American Powertrain makes it so there are no trans tunnel mods necessary, pretty slick setup! Go with a 3.73 rear gear ratio, will give you about 2000 RPM at 70MPH, depending on rear tire size. You are looking for a Curry 9inch?
    Yeah I'm looking at Curry rear , I have 12bolt posi 3:73 now but I don't want to blow my original rear end out , I have 69 true ss, are u saying u didn't have to cut the tunnel at all ? What tranz kit did u use ? Cuz I don't want to cut up my floor 😢 Also what clutch are u using ? I was looking at getting the duel friction center force depending on how much money I need to finish my motor (don't need Much) but I will have about 5500 so I might need to save up a little more for the rear if I go tko 600
    Last edited by Brian28; November 13, 2016, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• Currie? Strange.......

(Sorry. I couldn't help myself!)

Dan
      Last edited by DanStokes; November 13, 2016, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• Do u have pictures from doing ur swap ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian28 View Post

Yeah I'm looking at Curry rear , I have 12bolt posi 3:73 now but I don't want to blow my original rear end out , I have 69 true ss, are u saying u didn't have to cut the tunnel at all ? What tranz kit did u use ? Cuz I don't want to cut up my floor 😢 Also what clutch are u using ? I was looking at getting the duel friction center force depending on how much money I need to finish my motor (don't need Much) but I will have about 5500 so I might need to save up a little more for the rear if I go tko 600
          I used a Kiesler kit because American Powertrain wasn't around when I did my swap. unfortunately, Kiesler went under the year after I got my trans and hydraulic clutch kit, but I have had no problems with it. My son put a tremec 3550(prior to the TKO series) and he got it from another company no longer in business. Being an older kit, and without the newer transcase ods, he did have tocut his trans tunnel, but with the Kiesler kit, and the American Powertrain kit, you should not have to make any mods to your tunnel. I will caution you about using the Centerforce clutch. My son, myself, and a friend from Minnesota with a 1962 Corvette, all using Tremec trans and centerforce clutches had clutch slipping problems, and have since oved on to different clutch setups. Centerforce was not much help with trying to solve the issues we were having. I did like the lighter pedal pressure of the Centerforce unit, but the slipping was an issue we couldn't resolve. Also, if your 12 bolt rear is healthy, you shouldn't have any problems with your drivetrain, or maxing out the rear ends capability. Best of luck with your mods, sounds like agreat project!
          Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
          Gregg and Deb Miller
          Verona, Wi.

Comment

• Forgot to say we are using Hayes clutches,now, but there are others, Zoom among them who have great clutches.
            Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
            Gregg and Deb Miller
            Verona, Wi.

Comment

• Happy to see you sy ZOOM...

Comment

• Yeah thanks I can't wait to drive the new set up as for my 12 bolt it has 50k on it and never been rebuilt yet it's still good right now but I want to keep it that way , the axle clips or axle brake scares me with the new power level I could spend the money to rebuild it or spend little more and go 9in ,really just don't want to hurt my original stuff , also wanted to have more fun with the car , so the 396 m21 12 bolt and drive line are coming out to sit in the shop for now , my plans for tko600 got crapped on today cuz I talked to them and it's 6200 for everyth , and I have about 6k to finish my work , I think I'm going to have to go with the m22z for 2100 , I was going to go tko 600 if it was about 4K but I don't have the 6k just for the tranz even tho I would love to and will wish I did , but are there any good 5 speed swap that are more of a Muncie replacement type , cuz 5speed would still be nice

Comment

• WWOW!!! Price of that has sure gone up! I paid about half of that for mine, but it was several years ago!
                  Gregg and Deb Miller
                  Verona, Wi.

Comment

• your options are pretty limited in manual transmissions. With that said, 5, 6 or even 7 speeds aren't really necessary when you have 496 ci of torque. You can run a 3.23 gear and still have enough torque to blow the tires off at 60. These 5 and larger number transmissions are for motors that have a narrow hp/torque band. That is not an issue you face. Best of all, with a 4 speed there is that many fewer parts to scatter. With a 5 or 6 speed you give up the reliability of your muncie.

Keep the 4 speed, change the rear gear so you're at 1600-1800 at 60 mph and if you really must have more gear.... get a gear vendor overdrive and fuel injection (which would cost less then 4k).. I suspect you never will.

oh about about the 12 bolt.... why would you ever change that? it's a stout rear end that is more then adequate for the numbers you're going to put down... on top of that, you can update to disk brakes (thus also solving the c-clip issue) and some 4340 steel axles... save your money for other things.... seriously.
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 15, 2016, 06:36 PM.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Sgb , so what would u recommend the motor should be right around 600tq and 600 hp , go m22z , new axles , rear disk , new drive line , lower gearing number , would I have to buy a new posi to get the higher gearing ? Rebuilding the axle would that be a lot less then 2500 you think ? I know 12 bolts are great , I just don't want this one to brake , but I could prob find a 12bolt that needs to be rebuild for a good price if Ima rebuild my perfectly good one anyways right ??

Comment

• many times it's cheaper to rebuild a good, running one then it is to take a chance on another that you have no clue what's up with it..... get the motor running, drive it around for a month getting a feel for what you like/dislike/ambivalent to. The spend the money on the trans, driveshaft, and rear. I suspect that your rear gear is a 3.42/3.73 as they were pretty common back then; and I suspect that your limited slip is probably barely functional. However, they're good enough for you to start thinking about what you'd do different. Too many times people spend a lot of money on a good idea then never use it or change it immediately. Just in rear lockers there are choices between the majors - limited slip/locking diff, and there's several variations that work great for somethings and terrible for others.

With the M22, you'll probably need to update. Now would be a good time to learn what those updates are and make a decision on it. Driveshaft is the same thing. I'd leave the rear for later. That said, a good set of shafts are nearly $800, add a $600 locker, gears for $200 and a rebuild kit for another $200 and you'll be knocking on the door of 2500 when you toss another $500 in for labor. A disk brake conversion is on top of that.... and that's actually where I'd start, there's a lot of bolt-on kits for disk brakes that won't screw up the differential but will give you a parking brake and disk brakes. Who knows, you may love the gears in it now and save yourself a lot of money simply rebuilding the existing limited slip.
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 15, 2016, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Sgb , so what would u recommend the motor should be right around 600tq and 600 hp , go m22z , new axles , rear disk , new drive line , lower gearing number , would I have to buy a new posi to get the higher gearing ? Rebuilding the axle would that be a lot less then 2500 you think ? I know 12 bolts are great , I just don't want this one to brake , but I could prob find a 12bolt that needs to be rebuild for a good price if Ima rebuild my perfectly good one anyways right ??
                          Depends on what you've got now. 12 bolts have different carriers for the different ranges of gears, most commonly the 3 series carrier or 4 series carrier.

If you have 3.31 gears (very common) then you have a 3 series carrier, and you won't need a new posi if you want to run 3.23 gears... then again, if you have 3.31 gears, why change them for a ~200 rpm drop at speed?
                          If your car came with 4.10 gears, then you have a 4 series carrier, and the lowest (numerical) gears you can get are 3.73's made for the 4 series carrier (usually denoted by an asterisk differentiating them from the regular 3.73 gears)

The best way to determine what gears you have is to pull the rear-end cover and count teeth and divide the pinion teeth number into the ring gear teeth number. 10 teeth on the pinion and 41 on the ring gear: 41/10 = 4.10
                          The easier (and less accurate) way is to jack up the rear, put the trans in neutral, rotate the tires exactly one revolution and count how many times the driveshaft turns... if it turns just under 3.5 turns, you probably have 3.31 gears.

For the 12 bolt, the rear-end girdle helps strengthen things by reducing ring gear deflection. This helps prevent shearing the gears off your ring gear under heavy shock load (launching with slicks) but more importantly, for your housing, it would keep the carrier bearing clamps from being damaged. Get one before you go to the track. They look pretty cool, too.

Last edited by yellomalibu; November 16, 2016, 05:03 AM.

Comment

• Yeah right now I have 3:73 , and for the posi it works very well , or at lest for what I can tell it does , one of the hole reason I want to get all new running gear is cuz I don't want to hurt the original stuff , I would like the option to go back to stock if I choose to one day , and I'm not really set on a retro mod with the kinda Chevelle I have , one day if I can find a good rolling shell for a good price like a skylark or somthing , then I could pull my race parts off the Chevelle and pull all my un broken stock stuff back , really if the car didn't still have the original parts on it , or was a non ss car to start with then I wouldn't really give it much thought , blow it up , cut it up , reto mod it to hell , also was thinking if i need to buy a clutch already I really don't want to spend the money agin a few month later on another clutch for a diffent tranz , after looking into all the different tranz options I think I landed on the m22z tranz , also I was thinking I better get the parts when I have the money before I brake something and not have the 2500 on hand at the time , idk , but u guys do have a good point on just doing the motor 1st and then seeing what I want to change about it for I spend the money and be stuck with somthing i don't like , but I'm scard I'll brake the m21 the 1st weekend lol thanks for ur guys feed back , it does really help to hear other opinions

Comment

• I always thought I could never do this , is going along much better then I always thought

Comment

one day if I can find a good rolling shell for a good price like a skylark or somthing , it does really help to hear other opinions
                                You ruin a Skylark building a Chevelle with its parts and I'll be more then a little miffed at you (but oldsmobile and pontiacs are great for parts).... my old Skylark

455, 4 speed, 12 bolt posi

Comment

Working...
                                X