leleva's 66 chevy 2 daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leleva's 66 chevy 2 daily

I bought this Chevy 2 a few years ago after bumping into a guy at a car show, who said he had a Chevy 2 he used as a parts car for his son's nova. Yet he couldn't bring himself to part it out. after a few weeks I brought it home. The only history of it I know is, the guy I bought it from owned it 12 years, he drove it from where he bought it to his shop and it smoked horribly.

The old girl sports the original 194 and 3 on the tree. Shortly after looking it over, I put in a order for a bunch of parts and started doing general maintenance. I wanted to make sure it was safe also so it received new shocks, and all new brake components, short of the steel lines. I pulled the carb apart after having troubles trying to load it onto a trailer in order to go get it inspected, to get a tag.

Once I swapped that accelerator pump out it ran pretty good so I started driving it

This all led to the tank getting shook up, which led to a bunch of junk clogging my filters. SO I cleaned it with some water and marbles and shook out a lot of junk.

With some luck I found a fender and bumper in Tulsa, and another fender in Oklahoma City.

Neither fender was great,but needed them to help hold the head lights in. One needed a bit of body work to even do that

a little hammer and dolly work and some cheap white spray paint got me to the point I could get another head light on.

Did some trading and wound up with some split headers and a 4 barrel intake

On my way to work, on my birthday of 2015. My first car and daily at the time broke a rocker arm stud.

So the 66 had to step up, unfortunately driving it a bit more stirred more things up in the tank.
    I then placed an order on a new tank, and took up driving my sisters car.

Once the tank was in I was back to daily driving the 66. On one trip into Wichita I started hearing a ticking noise, which progressively got louder as the drive went on. I tried checking to see what it was when I got to my friends apartment, leaving there in his car thinking it was an exhaust leak. On the way home I noticed that it would come and go. The next morning I pulled the valve cover to find out one of my rocker arms was loose, when it shoudl of been depressing the valve.

I pulled the push rod, and it was straight,So naturally it came down to the lifter or cam. Panic mode started as this was my only running car at the time ( the 78 was down as I foolishly put the smaller flex plate off of the 305 in on the 350, which required the larger flex plate)

The lifter looked good, but wouldn't pump up, not wanting to put a brand new lifter in and take that chance of eating the lobe. I took the little C clip off the top of the lifter and took it completely apart. I shot a ton of brake clean in, to which some orange ish brown colored liquid came out. To my luck after reassembly the lifter pumped up. Back in it went, threw some motor honey in the crank case and off I went. To this day if I let the car sit for more than a few days that lifter or another will loose a little oil, but after the engine runs for a few seconds it pumps back up.
    Last edited by leleva; August 12, 2016, 12:07 PM.

love it...make it work, fix what's broken, have fun!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

excellent stuff!
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Keep it coming!
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Love it. I am a b-pillar fan. My first classic was a 74 chevelle four door, 250 chevy. Similar problems. Maine somehow bent the block the long way (may have been nuclear.. it was an air force buddies). in went the infamous smallblock..
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Bent the block? thats crazy. A lot of people have told me to just drop a small block in, and put a shifter on the floor.

Comment

194 has a forged crank... Just saying...
              Best friend had an older one every shift,no matter how soft, depressing the clutch made it lurch forward!
              It's probbly "just broke in"
              Last edited by Deaf Bob; August 24, 2016, 11:55 PM.

Comment

As far as the engine I bought a 250 a while back, tore it down, and found it well used, being 60 over with a slight ring ridge, I've been debating If I want to put the money into rebuilding it or wait out for a 292. As the other plans to the engine will be the 4 barrel intake with a Q-jet and split exhaust, bolted to a 194 head with lump ports. I plan to keep it 3 on the tree as well, to give it a bit more of a sleeper look.

Comment

292 is a bit taller.. Might not be able to close your hood.
                  Might be able to set it lower in the engine compartment..

Comment

It will fit as it's only an 1 3/4" taller, if a person runs a low profile air cleaner. There are a few other thing's I've read that cause issues. Such as the motor mounts that are made have to block the fuel pump holes, so I'd have to run an electric pump ( not some thing I realy want to do) I'll have to figure a plate out to mount my Z bar. The harmonic balancer on a 292 is bigger so it will push my fan closer to the radiator. The biggest issue is a oil pan with a sump that wont rub my steering, which also leads to drilling the block to relocate the dipstick.
                    Last edited by leleva; August 15, 2016, 06:25 PM.

Comment

I have 3ea. 250s and a pile of speed parts for them. All have non-integral manifolds. I can make you a deal - come and get 'em or I could meet you halfway there as long as it's before cold weather. Included are a set of Ross 0.040 over forged pistons w/Dykes (zero gap) rings and a set of Crower Sportsman forged rods (no, NOT the same as SBC rods) along with a couple of pretty valve covers, a Offy intake (currently in GA but I'll gather that up if you're interested) a Holley 425 (IIRC) as recommended by Holley for that engine, 2 different performance Delta cams, both of which are in the blocks that they were briefly run in so the lifters are on the right lobes, a Performance Distributors EFI set up with new cap, rotor, and plug wires, a set of roller roller rockers, as well as other goodies. There is plenty here to build a killer 250. I swapped the Camaro for the S-10 and went to a Mercedes Diesel so I'm no longer messing with any 250 stuff.

Make me an offer.

Dan

Comment

Last year ( febuary of 2016) I bought new fenders, then had to wait to save up for paint. Went to the PPG shop in the next town over and they tried to use their scan tool to figure out a mix that would match, unfortunately my lacquer has seen better days. So we went with the original paint code off the cowl. I mixed some flattener in it and shot them. It's a little off but makes the car look great from 20 feet away.

Next few steps are get a new windshield, Re-ring my 250 I've had sitting around for a while now, and get an antenna and Fm converter.
                        Last edited by leleva; April 23, 2017, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Love it...keep an old car on the road as a daily driver is cool.

Comment

Cool to see the Nova on the "Front Page". Assuming your pic's colors are close, the new paint is a tad too red. It can be REALLY hard to get a decent color match, especially with highly metallic paint. It takes a LOT of coats of paint to get a solid color as metallics tend to be a bit translucent such that the primer color can come thru a bit (your paint likely would match better with a lighter primer though I don't know what color you have under it). When I crunched Truck's driver's door the new color blend is about right but the metallic particles (actually a type of plastic) are too small so it just doesn't look quite right. At the time I fixed that I knew the ol' boy needed a total respray (coming up soon) so I didn't fret over it too much.

I'm just picking nits here - all in all I think the Nova looks great and I'd be proud to daily drive it.

Dan

Comment

I was stoked to see it on the front page, my dad showed ti to some of the guy's he works with.Like I said the PPG guy mixed it from mixing codes based on the paint code on my cowl. However I know at least the driver side quarter has been reshoot as there is filler oozing from some holes on the inside of the trunk, and its spidering out on the outside. The primmer I used was light grey.
                              I think had I kept the metallic out of the paint it might of matched up a little better. but its a driver, hopefully that enamel will fade a bit and match the rest of the lacquer.
                              One comment I saw was the fellow woudl update the interior, a bit and I realized I'd never shown what the inside looks like since I got it.

I put a small tack on the column, then Have a Oil pressure gauge,a Vacuum gauge to monitor how economically I'm driving, and a temp gauge I've never hooked up yet. I forgot to paint the glove box when I painted the fenders, oh well. The car also sports those huge floor mats that go from onside of the car to the other. Whoever put mine in, had it upside down when they cut the hole for the dimmer switch. Edit: Looking at that last pic, the lower part of the dash seems to match the new fenders, and the doors match closer to the rest of the car. I wonder if the batches of paint fluctuated a bit?
                              Last edited by leleva; April 27, 2017, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X