Misc. Mechanical & Metal Fabrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Loren View Post
    Seems to me like some cans are-indeed thicker...for example I tried a pair of soda cans next and they came out worse, then it was time to get back to productive work (ha). No matter what, there will need to be more heat-sink.
    That's interesting stuff, I saw the viral photo. Would it make any difference if you used unopened cans or would the stuff in the can (beer/soda) get hot enough to blow all to hell?
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

• I think trying an unopened one might make for more interesting story. Therefore we should do it. You coming by?

Comment

I think trying an unopened one might make for more interesting story. Therefore we should do it. You coming by?
        I'll likely hear it from here so I'll just go out in the yard and wait for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post

I'll likely hear it from here so I'll just go out in the yard and wait for it.
          pdub, you're learnin'
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• ORrrrrrrrrrrr, maybe use old cans and fill 'em up with water and freeze 'em. If that ain't heat-sink enough then the viral photo was fake after all.

Comment

• Not a bad idea, freeze it with the cans upright 3/4 full and the ice will stay back a bit from the weld area. We shall see.

Did I ever talk about my big brother? 12 years older than me and my hero as a little kid, maybe still. Also I may have inherited a hoarding habit from him, except that he eventually passes his stuff along and I rarely seem to, why I have leftover bolts etc. from cars I owned in 1980. Stuff he's passing along this visit:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	1315243

A decent Taiwanese 13"-swing lathe. I have a small lathe and a big lathe however what I need considering my shop space is neither of those but one medium-size lathe instead. This will do nicely and the wear on the ways is minimal unlike my old South Bend machines that can't hold a tolerance over length. I'll need to fit it with a reversible motor and my digital readout scales, plus find a four-jaw chuck for when that's required. Now if I can bear to Craigslist the un-needed machines instead of just pack them away...

Then there is a 3' light-duty pan brake, something I've been watching for as there are times such a device is just the thing. This was owned by a long-time friend (of my brother's) who was a lifelong aviation buff and who, after all that time, once didn't keep his airspeed up while banking for a turn near the airport. Once is enough. His widow will get some decent coin for this.

Then to the right of photo below is a 7500 Harbor Freight generator that should carry us along during power outages this summer (in CA that is now how they "prevent" wildfires, just shut the electricity off).

In the foreground is the 5.3 LS motor I recently pulled out of a truck and haven't put away yet. It's eventual home still undetermined, either a '78 El Camino which is complicated by smog rules or an old Wagoneer which is not.

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	1315242

-Loren

Comment

• Lusting after the pan brake. Not that I do enough to justify giving it floor space.

Dan

Comment

Not a bad idea, freeze it with the cans upright 3/4 full and the ice will stay back a bit from the weld area. We shall see.

Did I ever talk about my big brother? 12 years older than me and my hero as a little kid, maybe still. Also I may have inherited a hoarding habit from him, except that he eventually passes his stuff along and I rarely seem to, why I have leftover bolts etc. from cars I owned in 1980. Stuff he's passing along this visit:

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	1315243

A decent Taiwanese 13"-swing lathe. I have a small lathe and a big lathe however what I need considering my shop space is neither of those but one medium-size lathe instead. This will do nicely and the wear on the ways is minimal unlike my old South Bend machines that can't hold a tolerance over length. I'll need to fit it with a reversible motor and my digital readout scales, plus find a four-jaw chuck for when that's required. Now if I can bear to Craigslist the un-needed machines instead of just pack them away...

Then there is a 3' light-duty pan brake, something I've been watching for as there are times such a device is just the thing. This was owned by a long-time friend (of my brother's) who was a lifelong aviation buff and who, after all that time, once didn't keep his airspeed up while banking for a turn near the airport. Once is enough. His widow will get some decent coin for this.

Then to the right of photo below is a 7500 Harbor Freight generator that should carry us along during power outages this summer (in CA that is now how they "prevent" wildfires, just shut the electricity off).

In the foreground is the 5.3 LS motor I recently pulled out of a truck and haven't put away yet. It's eventual home still undetermined, either a '78 El Camino which is complicated by smog rules or an old Wagoneer which is not.

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	1315242

-Loren
                  All I get from my brother is aggravation
                  he gives the cool stuff to my son..

Comment

• You don't have any embarrassing stories on him for leverage?

Comment

You don't have any embarrassing stories on him for leverage?
                      Nope. Too scared to do anything...
                      Me on the other hand... rather keep most unleverageable.

Comment

• Post Deleted. Thanks, all.
                        Last edited by Loren; April 15, 2022, 07:39 AM.

Comment

• Anybody remember the Doug Nash/Richmond "4+1" 5-speed from the '80s-90s and on? Instead of the "extra" gear being an overdrive, it's added on the bottom end as a 3.23 1st (compare to a Muncie wide-ratios' 2.54). High gear remains 1:1, then you're supposed to use tall rear gears with the combo such as 2.73s instead of, say, 3.55. What's cool about that is 5th gear then is 1:1 direct drive at the trans and suitable for long blasts under power unlike most overdrives that tend to be weak-ish and really made for light-throttle cruising in 5th. You don't see them advertised any more but they were simple, tough and reliable.

I used a 4+1 in my BB El Camino for years and loved it. With that long-laid-up car slated to go to my oldest daughter at some point (my cruise buddy for many miles when she was younger) and her not driving stick-shift much, I figured I'd put an automatic in it and use the Richmond in the Camaro, and picked up a set of tall rear Camaro gears on e-bay. Then last time daughter comes out to visit (father's day) I tell her the good news and she says "NO" do not put an auto in her El Camino it would ruin its' character. Uh...oh. Now what do I get for the Camaro?

Then the very next time I check the local Craigslist, what comes up but another 4+1/Hurst shifter combo...I haven't seen one there at any reasonable cost for years. Good shape for a good price, a fraction of what I would spend on one of the new overdrives, and the seller didn't mind that I wanted to open it up before purchase. He said it doesn't have many miles on it and it looks like it.

One of my favorite drives has always been coming south on Interstate 5, late Sunday night after a trip up-state, hitting The Grapevine (5-mile long uphill grade south of Bakersfield) and lettin' 'er rip, 80-90+ in the left lane while the trucks are doing 35 on the right and everybody else is somewhere in the middle. You'll often catch a BMW or Porsche doing the same thing, it's kind-of a rush. CHP doesn't run radar checks there either although you'd not want to come up on one's tail. Anyhow the Richmond in the El Camino was the perfect trans for that, now also for the Camaro I hope to be doing long trips in at some point.

Name:	HEYC0091.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	1321895

I once did that run in one of my 215 c.i.d. Vegas with the carb under-jetted and when I hit the top of the hill every exhaust valve was burnt. It's a test, all-right...

Comment

• I seriously considered one for my Corvette... they still make them (list them in catalogs, after all, when I looked everyone was utterly out of stock with no return date)
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I keep just finding their newer overdrive 5-speed. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

Comment

• https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...ion/1624014574

Doug Nash 4+1 Vintage race transmission

$3,700

Description

Doug Nash 4+1 Heavy Duty Vintage Drag Race Trans

Was going in 1955 Gasser project, behind 427 BB Chev, have correct Steel Flywheel, Ram clutch and pressure plate

Transmission was just gone through bt Brads Transmission so ready to go. Has Hurst Ran Type Shifter

These transmissions are perfect for lots of applications where you are going straight line racing.

Unfortunately i don't know gear ratios but the trans case splits so easy to check for serious buyer.

3,700.00 Canadian Dollars =

2,830.9825 US Dollars

1 CAD = 0.765130 USD

1 USD = 1.30697 CAD

Last edited by Tubbed Pacecar; July 5, 2022, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X