BLOWER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Drive yer tushy here to Wilmington and we'll get 'er done. Take a week off though with the hoist we might not need that long.

Dan
    It's the eternal optimist who wants to put a blower on an engine that has 109,000 miles on it. Hard miles, the last few of them RACING miles, at the redline.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

He wants me to teach him how to play guitar
      So now you've got some wood shedding to do and teach yourself before you teach him....

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post

So now you've got some wood shedding to do and teach yourself before you teach him....
        I love you Stude. You are the best. You always have something wise to offer. You sure do. I love you Man.

Comment

Yes it was a Paxton, I asked him, although it was dark and I didn't get to look at it. You go Peewee! I bet with that you can pull some serious G's out of them mountain curves!!!
          Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

It's the eternal optimist who wants to put a blower on an engine that has 109,000 miles on it. Hard miles, the last few of them RACING miles, at the redline.
            Nothin' to lose at this point. As long as the compression is good and the oil pressure is where it needs to be, the worst that can happen is you'll need a crate motor - but probably not. I've doubled the HP on an engine with somewhere South of 207K (that's when the odo broke on the donor car) and I'm fixin' to add more turbo for more or less triple the stock power. ALL the miles now are WOR (wide open rack, Diesel = of WOT). A little inlet pressure is a GOOD thing!

EDIT: Oh, and in these days of modern time (let's see who get THAT one) 109K is NOT high mileage. The only vehicle I have with less that that is Vanna the Van who came w/low mileage.

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; October 16, 2016, 07:31 PM.

Comment

There is nothing like striking while the iron is hot, but it might be worth talking to someone who know which type blower would be better for a track car centrifugal or postive displacement.

whipplesuperchargers.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=28

I am with Dan turbos are better and they don't put as much stress on the crank.

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Russell makes a good point. Turbos, while excellent, DO have a certain amount of "spool-up" time whereas positive displacement blowers are instant which might be better for coming out of a corner, and more predictable. Research.......

Dan

Comment

I've always been under the impression that a simple MAP sensor change is all modern computer controled engines need to function correctly with boost ranges in the 1-3 atmospheres range.

Higher boost ranges need custom programming for certain, but the factory computers seem to be able to adjust fuel with the range of a 3-bar map sensor.

Most N/A factory sensors are a 1-bar, but 3-bar ones seem to be readily available.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Turbos.... they so depend on the motor. Worst part is the kits, there are some that are excellent and bolt right in place. There are others that make you wonder what they were thinking. That's not so true with superchargers (blower goes on top, supercharger goes on the side - both are belt driven) - the ones I've seen truly are a bolt-on affair.

Specifically the Mustang.... excellent revs, not so excellent torque - which makes the blower the better of the ideas because it starts developing boost at just-off idle thus giving you better torque and making you faster everywhere.

But, it's interesting you bring this up... Mighty Car Mods is going to test a blown Miata vs. a turbo'd Miata - all they say directly applies to your decision (which, I might add, is awesome)

Part 1 is here

follow up with part 2 and wait impatiently for part 3 (the test) like I am.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Pdub, you should have told Sue Unit the 5.0 Coyote engine is required for the Novi. The Coyote in my crew cab F150 is an animal. Pull that 6000# truck around like nobody's business. They are really nice engines. I can see 600+ hp is fairly easy.
                      Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Like has been said before, Red is one of one... it is yours to make whatever you desire rather than the compromise that is a production car...
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Sue's rationed that we should just rent a car trailer from U-Haul, no more often that we'll use it, two or three times per year and no telling how long we'll stay into doing it. When I retire (1 year 11 months, 13 days) we may just do the track thing once per year. And the hell with the fence gate if we rent a trailer. It makes sense.

And blower vs. turbo - with the boost on the turbo being linear, Red will still be into the high RPM's to make some time between curves. That's what ran Red hot at AMP last time out, I was all over the redline in 3rd gear to get some pull before the braking zone, all day. I'm thinking (and please correct me) with a blower I may be able to put the car in 4th gear at times and still get good pull and keep the R's down and keep it running cooler and still turn some decent lap times.

And I'm liking this one so far. When I was fantasizing a few years ago, Rousch (sp?) had a Mustang blower for over $10,000. They're coming down in price across the market as the technology improves I suppose, like everything else does.

https://lmr.com/item/VOR-4FU218010SQ...FYWAaQod2MwOVw
                          Last edited by pdub; October 17, 2016, 04:10 PM.

Comment

U-haul.. Tend to be 50/50 (tires on trailer right in the middle.
                            Ideally the rear tire needs to be on the cross brace right behind the rear tire of the trailer.
                            The U-haul does not have length to scoot up.. Maybe for a mustang..
                            I always load the rear tire of the car being hauled close to the rear tire of the trailer.
                            My trailer is 60/40. Look around at what private trailers are like.. Pretty much none are 50/50

Comment

Read, research, read some more, talk to Cameron some more about his. Then do some more research!
                              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
                                Read, research, read some more, talk to Cameron some more about his. Then do some more research!
                                get the Roush kit,, the research has been done, and it's a company that will be there down the road..

Comment

Working...
                                X