No announcement yet.

BLOWER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pdub, The Roush blower is a good choice, as a positive displacement blower is more controllable, where a centrifugal blower(Paxton or Procharger) or turbo works exponentially coming on harder as speed and rpms increase...this is why Ford and Roush choose a roots style blower on their own projects...properly installed intercooling will help limit underhood temperature gains as well...my biggest worry is that adding a turbo in the crowded confines under the hod of a late model hood, will add to the already stressed heat load on your cooling system and add back pressure to your exhaust as well...
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post

get the Roush kit,, the research has been done, and it's a company that will be there down the road..
      that's a pretty bold statement.

Roush was -5 years old when McCulloch started selling superchargers for Fords... not even a gleam in daddy's eyes yet. Pdub, when you do your research, Robert PAXTON McCulloch will get you the history lesson there.

haha. Kidding. Not really. Paxton, Vortech, Eaton (Roush), ATI, none of these companies are "new" and there's no guarantees anybody will be in business after fun gets outlawed in November.

Personally, It's a tough call - I'd consider turbocharging but comparative install ease and price point make the centrifugal and roots style blowers compelling. I'd personally take the roots style blower because torque and this looks pretty sexy, and it's not hanging weight in front of the wheels... and did I mention torque?

Russell, turbo's aren't necessarily easier on the crankshaft... enough boost and you can drive right over the thing. lol. (that's a joke, please don't feel the need to school me... lmao.)
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post

that's a pretty bold statement.

Roush was -5 years old when McCulloch started selling superchargers for Fords... not even a gleam in daddy's eyes yet. Pdub, when you do your research, Robert PAXTON McCulloch will get you the history lesson there.

haha. Kidding. Not really. Paxton, Vortech, Eaton (Roush), ATI, none of these companies are "new" and there's no guarantees anybody will be in business after fun gets outlawed in November.

Personally, It's a tough call - I'd consider turbocharging but comparative install ease and price point make the centrifugal and roots style blowers compelling. I'd personally take the roots style blower because torque and this looks pretty sexy, and it's not hanging weight in front of the wheels... and did I mention torque?

Russell, turbo's aren't necessarily easier on the crankshaft... enough boost and you can drive right over the thing. lol. (that's a joke, please don't feel the need to school me... lmao.)
        rouch comes with ford oem part #'s you'll be able to get parts much longer.. When was the last time you saw a Paxton on a used on the track vehicle.. historic track days/races don't count..

Comment

Actually when I said research it I meant not just the product but the mechanics of installing and tuning the car to maximize the HP without sending it a zillion particles! Technology has come a long way with a lot safeguard's but it still takes know how to run any of them which I have no doubt Peewee can do it. I think Peewee knows who's advice is worthwhile listening to!
          Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Pdub, I just want to add that there's absolutely no reason you can't install this yourself - it's just bolts as long as you buy a "developed" kit. The Vortec should be great. Don't hesitate to bug Superman (notice how I volunteered him!?) - or me. You have my phone number.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
              Actually when I said research it I meant not just the product but the mechanics of installing and tuning the car to maximize the HP without sending it a zillion particles! Technology has come a long way with a lot safeguard's but it still takes know how to run any of them which I have no doubt Peewee can do it. I think Peewee knows who's advice is worthwhile listening to!
              That is the thing,, places like Roush already have done the tune..
              the bolting it on, is no different that the work he has already done to red..
              I'm not a Ford guy.. But helped install one on a 2015 and it was well engineered and easy..
              Only one brand is installed at Ford dealers and doesn't void warranties.. even though that warranty part doesn't apply to his car, it is very telling.. That Ford is still covering their product after a Roush blower kit is installed..
              Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; October 18, 2016, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post

rouch comes with ford oem part #'s you'll be able to get parts much longer.. When was the last time you saw a Paxton on a used on the track vehicle.. historic track days/races don't count..
                You really should google before you say shit like that. Paxton was OEM on Fords when Jack Roush was 15 years old. You can still get parts for VS57's.

Novi's have only been around, what, 20-25 or so years? I mean, You realize there are Mustangs making over 1000 HP with a Novi? What the F* are you talking about "on a track vehicle"? Have you completely lost your mental abilities? LMFAO. I'd say the rock you live under caved in and starved you for oxygen, but I've been out of the late model loop for quite a while too. Following my own advice, I googled Paxton and found out they and Vortech are both owned by Air Power Group who also apparently owns Lysholm. You may have heard some of those names in the last 30 years or so.

I'm not nutswinging Roush like some addled nascar fanboy , but if you notice, I SAID that's what I would pick. There are good arguments for each of the choices available. The argument of OEM or not is pretty much moot.

now settle down and take your geritol before you break a hip, then figure out that I'm messing with you.

They're all gonna get heat soaked intercoolers on a road course. Tune it accordingly.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  Pdub, I just want to add that there's absolutely no reason you can't install this yourself - it's just bolts as long as you buy a "developed" kit. The Vortec should be great. Don't hesitate to bug Superman (notice how I volunteered him!?) - or me. You have my phone number.

Dan
                  Cameron says he'd love to help put it together, and he put the one on his car, he's done it. There's no commitment yet, Cameron gave me a phone number to call in Ohio, his Blower Connection. The guy was busy, had somebody at the counter at the time, I understand that. He was gonna call me back, but he didn't. I'll call him again after work tomorrow. We're gonna get a dadgum blower for Red, a blower for the engine he already has.

EDIT: Beefcake Racing. Cameron has a friend there. His friend told Cameron they have a setup for Red. I have to believe it. That's where we're going at this point, we haven't done anything yet. I have to hear all of this from them.
                  Last edited by pdub; October 18, 2016, 05:44 PM.
                  Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Rock on! You get a blower and I will find a weekend I can come to TN and go for a ride! the only thing I know is what I have read on the Internet. Tune is very important. Not cooking it is very important, things that help not cook a motor: tune, fuel injectors, race gas, e85, methonal, intercooler. (I love this) from what I have read drag racing is nothing compared to LSR I am sure road racing works a motor hard. Example Chevy's z28 the road race car used the NA LS7 427. They used cubes not bpost to make power. The top of the line vette has a positive dispacement blower.

Are you confused yet? I am! I want the cheapest turbo kit that fits, on3 v/s cx racing. The best china has when time and money build up.
                    Last edited by Russell; October 18, 2016, 07:15 PM.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Man, talk about peer pressure! I figured I would go ahead and join up after meeting the good group of people from the other night. Pdub, I appreciate that first picture, all this time I thought my mirrors were defective in the house, now I see your camera is too! Damn wide angle lens! LOL! As for the supercharger, blower, turbo situation, I will be more than happy to help you install whatever you decide to purchase. I chose the Paxton (centrifugal) because the power is linear and builds as the rpms go up. I would really do some research on the three types of boost. Turbos are free power but much more expensive to purchase and the installation is very in depth. There is also additional heat build up that comes from the turbos being under boost for extended periods of time. Most guys that run turbos have turbo timers that keeps the car running after shut down so the oil will continue to circulate until the turbos cool down other wise the oil would bake on the bearings. Turbos are free power and will typically increase fuel mileage on extended road trips. Turbo power builds with rpms and load. Turbo cars tend to do better with taller gears in the rearend. Boost is also controllable with a manual or electronic boost controller. This is a great option if you allow other people to drive your car and don't want them to beat on it.

A centrifugal is a middle ground between turbos and blowers (positive displacement). The centri is essentially a belt driven turbo, the boost is relative to rpm. This is why I chose this option, my wife drives my car from time to time and I didn't want the power to come too quickly. With a centri, you can pulley down and install a boost controller with a wastegate to control your boost level also. The centri will not heatsoak like a positive displacement will as it is bolted on the front of the motor and not directly to the heads/block. My Air Intake Temp has never gone above 10* over ambient temps with the aid of the intercooler. Yes, there is more tension on the crank pulley but it is not a constant pressure as it shares the same belt with the other accessories. The belt tensioner is spring loaded and allows for sudden changes in tension.

A positive displacement blower bolts directly to the top of the engine and is belt driven as well. It will heat soak with continued boost and lose power. A PD does have more instant power because it essentially increases your cubic inch displacement instantly. I am not sure if I would consider this more controllable power or not, it will require more throttle modulation for track use. I think the reason auto makers use PD blowers is because they do produce more torque off the bottom giving the feel of more power and for daily drivers, the loss of power due to heat soak is not an issue. There is also a lot less pluming involved during installation which reduces clutter in the engine bay.

Both centris and PDs will impact fuel mileage due to increased load on the engine, but then again who is concerned about fuel mileage if your wanting a high horsepower car. All of the above information is just what I have accumulated while reading up on this stuff myself. Therefore, I would take it with a grain of salt.

I will also say that I don't usually have this much to say in one post, so don't worry.

Cameron

Comment

Welcome to the madhouse.
                        You'll fit in nicely!
                        Great post!

Comment

Welcome to the madhouse, Cameron! Good post and a super "Blowers 101" primer. I hadn't messed with forced induction much 'till I started racing Diesels where you pretty much have to go with a turbo to make any HP out of 'em so my experience is extensive but limited.

We love PW around here - he's nuts just like the rest of us. And he married way up - just like the rest of us (well, the married ones). Love your Mustang - neat car. I need to get mine out of the back of the shop and back on the road. It doesn't need much - it's an '88 LX convert with a '96 5.8l with quite a bit on bolt-on stuff (heads, intake, injectors, etc.).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                            A centrifugal is essentially a belt driven turbo.
                            Ah, ha !!!

Comment

Welcome Cameron! It was good to meet you at Gearhead Inn, perhaps you can make our Spring Bloom's Tour next April! Oh by the way nice Mustang!!
                              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

I won't be looking under any more hoods for awhile!

Comment

Working...
                                X