No announcement yet.

BLOWER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SM's belt...he built that engine to make some serious go, and he retained the factory 1980 Corvette alternator mounting bracket. When he gooshed it, it torqued the alternator mount and the belt flew off. I think that was that same weekend that he ran straight off of the track at the end of the long straightaway in Turn 10A, his stock brakes just wouldn't stop him. That was quite the memorable outing.

So he got the beefiest alternator mount I've ever seen, like a part of a battleship, and shiny of course, and he got some Wilwood brakes for the front of the car. So, he's ready. Re-ready. Driver and mechanical glitches aside. And those are always there, somewhere hiding.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

• In the second video from Daytona, at about 16:35, coming into the infield run, there's that black Corvette that passed Red about a lap ago. It's now sideways and off the track. He overcooked it right there. Back off of the throttle for about a second or two, the track is clear, keep going.

Driving on a race track is living. It really is, in 3D with sound effects. But I'm always aware that I have to drive that same car back home. So I go about eight tenths, as the drivers say for measurement. Those other two tenths....if I had a car on a trailer....I don't know. Then you're getting into a world called getting hurt or worse if you hit something hard hard enough. That.....no, I guess I'm not a race car driver at all. But it sure is fun. DANG that's fun.

Comment

• One of the other runs where that black Corvette was spun out, I mean exactly right there at that same spot, there was a cone sitting sideways in the middle of the track. It happened early, like maybe on the second lap. Somebody kicked the cone up from somewhere and there it was. Nobody in the world was going out there to move that cone out of the way with cars whizzing by. There was no yellow flag, no warning that it was there. The cone became part of the track for the rest of that run.

First time through there, holy shit there's a cone....MISS it. which messes up your line, however you came in off of the big track onto the little track. After that, every lap, you're thinking ahead of time, do I go inside of the cone or outside of the cone? It's an obstacle either way, and for the whole run, nobody ever hit it and knocked it out of the way. DANG that's fun.

Comment

• I reckon maybe Superman has spent most of his time working on GM critters, because he was out loud surprised and impressed by how Ford managed the seal on the intake manifold. Each port on the intake manifold has an o-ring gasket that fits into a slot in the intake manifold. They're still pretty malleable but sorta dirty, so we might as well replace them (for 15 bucks) while we've got it open and looking at it. After all, we'll be pressurizing the intake manifold instead of having it just suck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000757.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	1138360

I may be actually starting to like this. Putting that blower on there was the worst, but that's behind us now.

Comment

• Think of how easy the next one will be.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              Think of how easy the next one will be.

Dan
              On Sue's car...

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

On Sue's car...
                I was hedging at one point for the last Ohio Mile event, which we didn't go to when the smoke cleared. I was going to put a CAI and some Magnaflows on Bluebelle, pretty sure that would get her lots closer to 140, the threshold without a cage. Just sort of an expensive stunt as it would have been. With every intention of taking that same stuff back off of there for Unit to toodle around town and get groceries. Finally thought better of it.

Spent money and time on Red instead, and it'll pay great dividends in the end. we can both have great fun with that at AMP, but they won't let her ride with me at Daytona, and THAT's where Red is gonna zoom for real next time. I sure hope they have a track day at Daytona next year, none of the schedules are out yet. But they do AMP so many times, we just pick which and how many we want to do, that's close to here. That's our "home track," and the one Unit loves to ride on the most.

Comment

• Track brake pads. I wish I'd had them on at Daytona but Red did just great with the set of intermediate Hawks I put on there. Remember, I thought we were running whole laps on the big track when we went down there. Completely not so.

The myth with track pads, what the manufacturer will say (for liability purposes) , and what some so-called reputable sales reps from distributors will say (for liability purposes) , and what you'll see in print too, do NOT use these pads on the street. They say (for liability purposes) that the track pads will completely not stop your car when they're cold. Cold, as in not stinking smoking red-hot like they get on a road course. The bigger truth is that the hotter you get them on the race track, I mean hot, the better they work, the better they slow you down, like magnets on the rotors.

I was concerned about that when I bought the Hawk HT compound pads. I was talking to the guy about that concern, I asked, "I want to put these pads on the car and then drive it two hours to the race track. Can I do that?"

The guy said, "I live in Ohio. It's freezing cold in the winter, and I run those pads all the time."

What those pads "do" do, is they squeal like a garbage truck played through a 1000-watt PA system. They'll piss off everybody around you at a stop light, it's horrendous what noise they make. It will even piss YOU off, how much noise they make. But they WILL stop your car, just as sure as any other brake pad will. All of the claims about the pads not working on the street when cold is just for manufacturer liability. It's not so, it ain't true. But don't get them if you're NOT going to race, there's no reason to.
                  Last edited by pdub; December 28, 2016, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post

Ryan, PM me the info on the tensioner upgrade and a replacement belt as well. I'll buy it. The extra belt is something I'll need eventually if I'm able to keep the fenders on it. Thank you so much for your insight Sir!

Here is a link to the Tensioner that I am using now. Very simple and affordable. I am using the entire Department of Boost setup and love it. Jason (owner) is extremely knowledgeable about all of his products as he does his own testing and provides the data for that. Here is a link that has some great information on why an upgraded tensioner is a good idea http://www.departmentofboost.com/pro...ntensioner.htm What size pulley are you running? It should be etched into the pulley. This will determine weather or not the belt that I was using will work with your setup. I imagine it will but I dont want to give you the wrong information for your setup.
                    CHECK US OUT AT:
                    www.ridetech.com

Comment

I reckon maybe Superman has spent most of his time working on GM critters, because he was out loud surprised and impressed by how Ford managed the seal on the intake manifold. Each port on the intake manifold has an o-ring gasket that fits into a slot in the intake manifold. They're still pretty malleable but sorta dirty, so we might as well replace them (for 15 bucks) while we've got it open and looking at it. After all, we'll be pressurizing the intake manifold instead of having it just suck.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1138360[/ATTACH]

I may be actually starting to like this. Putting that blower on there was the worst, but that's behind us now.

LS intake seals

Superman needs to get a newer ride ;)
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• LS power... Proof that pushrods still work...🙌
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by RideTech_Ryan View Post

What size pulley are you running? .
                          The blower pulley is clearly marked on that little plastic cap on the end of it. The size is indicated as being, "Removal Will Void Warranty."

Name:	Pulley.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1138500

I'm liking that tensioner, it looks like it goes on with and in addition to the stock tensioner? I don't see any etchings on that pulley but it seems to be ~3 inches, maybe 2 7/8? Hard to measure it.

Comment

The blower pulley is clearly marked on that little plastic cap on the end of it. The size is indicated as being, "Removal Will Void Warranty."

[ATTACH]n1138500[/ATTACH]

I'm liking that tensioner, it looks like it goes on with and in addition to the stock tensioner? I don't see any etchings on that pulley but it seems to be ~3 inches, maybe 2 7/8? Hard to measure it.

You might check the outer lip close to where the belt rests. It might be facing the back of the supercharger which i never understood myself. If for some reason it isnt on there you could probably call Terry at Team Beefcake or call direct to Vortech and get that information.

as far as the Tensioner goes they are stacked OE factory Mustang GT Tensioners. There are some after market units out there that i have seen that soar up into the $400 range but this can all be had for around $100 or less. It may not be as pretty as a nice expensive billet one but as long as it does the job i dont care what it looks like. I think the look of it is pretty cool anyway because it is different.

If you do facebook there is a dedicated Department of Boost page that civil people like in here can ask questions and not get ridiculed for it. Jason is usually one of the first to chime in also.
                            Last edited by RideTech_Ryan; December 29, 2016, 11:38 AM.
                            CHECK US OUT AT:
                            www.ridetech.com

Comment

• Ryan, you are the Man man! Thanks so much. RE the tensioner, I think I'll wait and see how much if any room is left in there after I put on this U-Haul box full of assorted shininess still left to go. I just got back from the parts store with the rubber hose they didn't send with the kit and stuck that on there just for looks, and I'm already thinking, it's getting crowded in there. But no it's not crowded, not yet.

I'm not seeing any markings on the blower pulley wheel, other than where I gouged it up trying to make the belt go on it when it wasn't going to go on because I had it on there wrong....

Comment

• My learning curve has been vertical throughout this project. I'm not even going to be able to remember how much I've learned. But I'll bet I'll remember one thing - this stuff stinks. This stuff is send-you-to-the-hospital-sick-and-near-death stinky. But it cleans manifolds up like new, that's what SM said it would do, and he was right.

Name:	P1000759.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	1138518

Comment

Working...
                                X