Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    Need low to feel high..
    That's so true. Big time, you nailed it DB, a feeling I've always had, the comparison. Weigh one against the other. I feel sorry for people who are so bored all the time that they don't really have any vivid highs or lows. That's not living, that's not why we're all here.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post

I actually had fun with it yesterday, making that radiator fit. I felt like I'd really done something. It's a mountain alright, but without a helicopter to ride on, you can't get to the top of it anytime soon.
      (in a whisper) Pdub - that's called an intercooler. The radiator cools the engine coolant and this sucks heat out of the soon-to-be compressed charge air.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

(in a whisper) Pdub - that's called an intercooler. The radiator cools the engine coolant and this sucks heat out of the soon-to-be compressed charge air.

Dan
        That's what I think.....the directions are so dadgum incomplete and mystifying......I believe that, as this comes together. I think that self-contained radiator water pump thing is actually cooling the air that goes into the intake manifold, that's the only thing I can figure it does. It for sure doesn't cool the blower.

The fact that I don't even KNOW what it does is only an indicator of how far out of the game I really am.

I love the garage heater Dan, and I love you for all reasons, that's the most recent best one.

Comment

• You're more than welcome.

Now time for intercooler school. Any time you compress air you also heat it. Engines, however, like cool air as it's more oxygen-dense (more O2=more HP). So to get both benefits (more COOL air crammed into the cylinders) the most practical solution is the intercooler which is simply a heat exchanger (the engine's coolant radiator is just a heat exchanger, too, but used for a different fluid) that takes the now-compressed and therefore heated air and transfers its heat into another medium. I use ice water in Mutt but of course the ice doesn't last too long though I DO get super cooling for a mile run. Sounds like the folks who made your kit provided a coolant tank and a pump to do what mine does - same idea.

Just to cloud the water a bit more, it's possible to have an intercooler that uses air as the cooling medium (air-to-air) just like the engine's radiator does. There are pros and cons to each but we can assume that the kit maker selected the water-to-air method as best for this application and I'm sure they're right.

Someone may chime in here and say it's really an "aftercooler" as it cools following the compression of the inlet air. I know there's some subtle difference though I never retain what it is but when you have the hood up and are explaining your system the term "intercooler" will be the most familiar to most onlookers.

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; January 3, 2017, 06:02 AM.

Comment

• p-dub read this:http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article...rt-2-&A=107760
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Keep your head up P-Dub. Ive been doing mine little by little for almost 4 years now. Add the birth of twin girls and a son and my free time is gone as well as the disposable income. I never knew how much free time/money I had until I didnt have it anymore. Now that my daughter is in gymnastics I take the son out to the shop with me and we tinker. He loves helping with the cars. Click image for larger version

Name:	Royce C10.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1139263
              CHECK US OUT AT:
              www.ridetech.com

Comment

• nice truck
                Phil / Omaha

Comment

• Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
                  nice truck
                  That is our StreetGrip Equipped C10. Perks of working at a great company is taking some of the vehicles to local shows on the weekend
                  CHECK US OUT AT:
                  www.ridetech.com

Comment

• I like your helper! Kids are fun.

Dan

Comment

• He is a lot of fun..... Very eager to watch and learn also. kind of surprising for a 2 year old.
                      CHECK US OUT AT:
                      www.ridetech.com

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        Someone may chime in here and say it's really an "aftercooler" as it cools following the compression of the inlet air. I know there's some subtle difference though I never retain what it is but when you have the hood up and are explaining your system the term "intercooler" will be the most familiar to most onlookers.

Dan
                        "Intercooler" was technically between stages of boost devices. i.e, Boost device 1->intercooler-> boost device 2-> aftercooler-> intake. Symantics... only "that guy" really cares any more.

Of course, when you run out of turbo with the Mercedes, you may be looking into compounds, and then you might care if you can find the real estate for another cooler... like a water to air in the cab with a reservoir full of ice water. Didn't Turk and Freiburger try dry ice in the cooler bucket at B'ville one year?
                        Last edited by Beagle; January 3, 2017, 04:33 PM.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• This is one intercooler that i have heard good things about on these cars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jne3PvM0hY
                          CHECK US OUT AT:
                          www.ridetech.com

Comment

• Originally posted by RideTech_Ryan View Post
                            This is one intercooler that i have heard good things about on these cars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jne3PvM0hY
                            WOW, that DOES look like fun. But we got a CSF radiator and and a lot of 1.25 inch rubber hoses. Where they show another huge pipe and the stud on the passenger corner of the crash bumper, that's where our water pump will be attached. The outlet from the radiator goes over the top of the engine to the great big chamber the air gets sucked into, and that chamber is attached to the throttle body. From there the water goes over the top of the engine to the passenger side shock tower where there's a little surge tank. From there it goes back down to the water pump.

So we're almost to a point where we're actually waiting on those new gaskets for the intake manifold, I'll have to have the top put back on before running all of that plumbing over the top of the engine. Probably just as well, I keep getting hurt up working on it anyhow. Old Man can't crawl on concrete and get away with it anymore. Most recent episode was a three-day hurt, usually it's just one day.

Comment

• PDub... I feel your pain again... last night, it was on bended knee on deck grating... not nearly as fun as working on a project at home...
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• The one thing that I probably lost some sleep over last night, rolling around in bed, maybe about an hour so......I hope this blower is actually the right blower for the application. I NEVER told the guy on the other end of the phone what we intended to do with it. All I said was I want one. I hope I didn't ignore what Perry said, RESEARCH research research. I didn't do that very much.

From dragging through the Vortech web pages during my downtime, they indicate that the V2 is better suited for road courses, on the boost for extended periods of time. I can nearly understand that, but I'm not sure I understand all of it at all. The V2 models have a thing where you have to drill a hole in the oil pan (OH holy horrors) and that's what keeps the blower itself cool? Maybe....I don't understand. But ours is a V3, High Output.

Our V3 blower came with a nice blower housing full of very special oil in it, it just sits there. And you'd better change that special oil every 20K miles or so. I'm having nightmares that the one we got is more for doing burnouts and drag racing and quick-on quick-off the throttle kinds of things. Not running full throttle at Daytona or somewhere. I'm suspect of it, my choice of products because I didn't say the right thing or enough things on the telephone, my fault for sure... And it's not even near together yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X