BLOWER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    not hot enough to light a woman who's just read a Harlequin. It'll be fine nestled in paper .
    Thank you Sir, you know what a positive outlook I have on this whole thing....

Tonight, let's get some power to that electric pump. I'm reading the directions, trying to decipher the photos that are out of sequence. The photo of that pump electrical hookup, it shows a lot more pipes installed than I've done so far. So, they realized after the fact, hey, we needed a photo of that electric hookup for the water pump. After they already had the blower system on, all of it. Every bit of it.

They've got some really cool connectors I haven't seen before. You crimp them on the wires, they penetrate the insulation and make the connection without even cutting the wire. But in the fabulous directions they say put THIS one on there and then put THAT one on there. I followed the directions.

Dammit Nancy, if I put THIS one on there first, I can't possibly put THAT one on there, you have to thread the whole wire through THAT one. I should have studied it for about an hour before I did that, don't TRUST the directions. Back up, cut wires and splice. Tomorrow.

Superman fixed the misbehaving screw, I was wide open for more progress and then THIS happens. Not major at all, just aggravating enough to turn out the lights. More tomorrow. If anybody cares, I'm sure this is giving everybody a headache.
    Last edited by pdub; January 12, 2017, 04:52 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

• be careful with those penetrate connectors - they're notorious for eventually corroding, shorting, not creating a solid connection, or simply falling off. They're also famous for the cuss words that arise when you realize that they did penetrate the wire but did not make contact with the copper thus it looks like it's a good connection but it's no connection at all. You really haven't lived until you'd had to trace one of those....
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        be careful with those penetrate connectors -....
        The offending item is a fuse holder. The wire runs through it and they've provided a 20 amp fuse for the water pump. So the fuse ends up being wired in parallel to the wire and not in series. That seems odd to me, but there it is....

EDIT: Halt, retraction. That fuse holder IS in series, I had to get the magnifying glass out to study it. That's done, so onward to more trouble from inside that really big box full of parts.
        Last edited by pdub; January 13, 2017, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• I'm running out of parts in the box. BUT now I have the really fat wiring harness on the passenger side pinned tight up against the valve cover in one spot. How bad is that? I hope that's not terrible bad because if that's bad, it's REALLY really bad. The harness wouldn't stretch enough to get out of the way, it feeds the fuel injectors and the spark plugs on that side.

And how do these little perpetrators work?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000779.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	1140795
          Last edited by pdub; January 13, 2017, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• On the wiring harness - are you sure you have it routed in the best way? Generally there is more than 1 route from here to there and a different routing might be helpful. As far as having it beside the VC, that should be OK but you don't want any pulling on the harness which could eventually pull wires loose and cause a connection to fail. Also, is there a right and left harness? If so, you might have them switched.

I'm not a fan of those clamps. I've had the best luck squeezing them down with end cutters - like side cutters but the cutting edges are at the end instead of the side. You open the cutters then engage the cutting edges in the steps on that bump then squeeze. The clamp slides together and tightens on the hose. They are one-time use only as you have to cut them to get them off. Do you need a pic of the end cutters?

The advantage to this clamp style is that once installed they take up very limited space. Will they be in a spot where space is at a premium?

Dan

Comment

• I have a tool for those clamps... bellows on a CV joint / axle assembly has a narrow area for clamping. Hose clamp won't work on it a lot of times. I think they call it a bellows clamp. I'm not a fan, but I do have a special drawer for tools you will use once and look at for the rest of your life. I hope the kids go nuts trying to figure out what that tool is for when I die.

I knew what this was before Dad passed, used it a little. It should be setting next to the bellows clamp pliers. Points if you can guess what it is, and the electricians can't answer.

Pdub, you need a rollaway toolbox now. Take the next step. :D
              Last edited by Beagle; January 14, 2017, 08:22 AM.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Dan, I didn't have to gut the engine compartment for this "little" job. The harnesses for each side of the engine stayed where they were. So left, right, there they are. The one on the right (passenger side), they said stretch it out of the way of the new little surge tank for the blower and the new overflow tank for the existing radiator. "Just move it way over there and tie-wrap it off." Nothing doing. The connections to the fuel injectors are but so very short.

The little buggers in the photo above were supplied for the new longer run to the new overflow tank for the existing radiator. Beags, I have a tool for those too. They're called channel locks! And whoever comes through cleaning up our estate will know exactly what that tool is for, though they probably won't know what ALL they're good for...

Comment

• Nope, they are called Tongue and Groove pliers. Yours are probably ChannelLock brand... HAHAHAHAHA... Imagine if we called these a Craftsman wrench?
                  Yeah, sorry, I'm feeling a bit like "that guy" today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    Nope, they are called Tongue and Groove pliers. Yours are probably ChannelLock brand... HAHAHAHAHA... Imagine if we called these a Craftsman wrench?
                    Yeah, sorry, I'm feeling a bit like "that guy" today.
                    Ahem....that wooden-handled thing is an LFH. I know the difference between an LFH and a BFS. But I might not know which end of either one to hold onto!

Comment

• That's an ambidextrous Craftsman wrench. You hold it in either hand while you bash your head on the workbench.

Comment

• Plier pics.

End cuts on the left, diagonal cuts on the right:

Name:	IMG_1557.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	1140918
                        And the business end:

Name:	IMG_1559.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	1140919

You can see that the area of your clamps needing crimping can fit in the open jaws of the end cuts pretty easily. If you need to purchase a set of end cuts (warning: you won't use them a lot so borrow if possible) take a clamp with you to be sure it fits.

And the mystery tool - I'd be cheating if I answered (I've used one of these) but I DO know what it is and what it does.

Dan

Comment

• Those end nippers say Crescent.. does that make them a Crescent wrench?

See what I mean? The dog has me stirred up today.

Comment

• Beags, what brand of "Band Aids" do you use when you scrape your finger? HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I ever say I love BangShift? If I didn't say so, I meant to say so.

More progress. Bling.

Name:	P1000781.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	1140926

Comment

• Points if you can guess what it is, and the electricians can't answer.

:D[/QUOTE]

Zip tie pliers?
                              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                                Points if you can guess what it is, and the electricians can't answer.

:D
                                Zip tie pliers?[/QUOTE]

That or wire stripper.
                                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                                X