BLOWER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by malc View Post

"PARKED HIM"......I´d have driven two tank fulls rejoicing after this long saga........
    Well, he's got what I'd call a "rescue tune" on him that came out of that tuner that came in the box with the other thousand parts. Yes, he will crank. But at low R's add some rompy throttle and it's ArrrrrrrBlubBlubBarrrBarr... And the idle is all over the place. The fuel/air mix ain't even close to what it oughta be. I don't want to "drive" him like that.

Let's get him tuned and then drive FOUR tanks of gas out of him!
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

• I´ll drink to that...hic..

Comment

• Today we hooked up the GPS and went for a ride out in the country in Bluebelle and found the machine shop/dyno place. I got to meet Dyno Daddy himself and we've got Red set up to zoom the drums on Thursday coming up. The perfect day during the perfect week for me even when that's all he had to offer up. I can be there to video Red's final pull on the dyno.

With that scheduled and all but done, we've signed up to run Red at Road Atlanta in a couple weeks and then AMP a couple weeks after that. I'm already starting to slobber and drool.

Comment

• I don't have anything to do with this and will not be able to go but it looks pretty cool and not to far from you.

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

• Looks like it might be fun - or it could be the P.I.T.S.!

As a dyno guy, make sure he warms up the dyno a bit and, of course, Red in the bargain. Some dyno guys get in a hurry and bolt the car down and immediately hit WOT - NOT the way to do it. You should be making sure the t-stat opens, the oil pressure is as it should be, the car is happily centered, the dyno is happy (you'll hear it if it isn't) and the dyno bearings are warmed up. Five minutes or so makes a big difference. Engines, transmissions, U-Joints, etc. can and do fail on the dyno (everything is under a lot of strain) so you want to give all of those things time to talk to you if they need to - you'll hear and feel them by way of vibrations before they fail. It's rare but almost anyone with dyno experience has horror stories about this or that car blowing up on the dyno. 99.9% Red will be fine.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
              I don't have anything to do with this and will not be able to go but it looks pretty cool and not to far from you.

https://poniesinthesmokies.com
              Hmmmm....Thar's just too much to do in them thar hills. That's the day we'll be at Atlanta Motorsports Park blowing around hills and curves.

Comment

• That lock ring/o-ring thing is not sealed, even after having a pro do it. I'm 90% sure of it. I say 90% sure because...

The car sat out in the driveway for all of 3 three weeks with the gas tank standing open and the windows closed. My hope after the fix was the interior is so saturated with gas fumes that it may never stop stinking. Or not for a long time anyhow. I drove home from the shop with the windows open, parked him in the garage with the windows open always. Yesterday I ran the shop fan for an hour and a half through it outside in the driveway.

Fumes, it's still making gas fumes, no doubt about it. With about 7/8 of a tank full. I took the cover off of it, the ring is bone dry, but it won't leak gas unless gas is right up against it of course. Before I prove it, the steps planned in order are:

1. Thursday dyno tune
                2. Drive the car tuned and have huge fun running some gas out of it
                3. Only THEN, fill it up again and watch it drip and leak (if it does, I sure do believe it will). Then maybe run some more gas out of it so we can park it back in the garage.

The question lingers if/when the full tank test fails, is there anything out there I can seal that ring with? A sealant that is impervious to gasoline? That maybe I could peel off of there at some unknown time in the future if I have to get to the fuel pump again? What about Permatex? Does anything exist?

We can't go to a race track pulling G's with a full tank and be leaking gas the whole time until we run it down to a half tank or less, which is when the low fuel alarm comes on during a hard curve.
                Last edited by pdub; February 27, 2017, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• If you do all this and it actually does still have seepage at full level personally I'd drop the tank and reinstall and recheck, my 2 cents
                  Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                  If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

• I don't care how much fuel is in the tank, driving around will slosh the fuel up around that ring and it will leak. If you have a fuel leak, it's something else - I'd start by looking at the lines to the tank because I suspect there was some pressure put on them when you were replacing the pump. Outside of that, verify that your fuel rails (on the motor) aren't leaking (or the lines into them).
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Everything up front is happy. Everything underneath all the way back is happy. Everything, all of it except for that o-ring on top of the tank. You can follow your nose to that o-ring.

I'm going to seal it alright. BEFORE I fill it back up, filling it up would just make another mess. I've got to find out what kind of goop to seal it with.

EDIT/Update: Permatex 85420
                      Last edited by pdub; February 28, 2017, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Find a camaro tank to put in it . Alright , I'm kidding . It won't fit . It won't leak but it won't fit . Is it like a GM ? The o ring goes on the tank , you slip the sender in , you turn the lock ring till it won't go any further ? If so , I can't see how its leaking . If it's leaking then take it back to where you paid for the fix .
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• He DID NOT FIX IT, drive back and show him..

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                            He DID NOT FIX IT, drive back and show him..
                            DB, we DID NOT FIX it either, after two or three weeks weeks of cussing. I'm going to fix it. Tomorrow. Glue. Goop. No more problem. Tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post

DB, we DID NOT FIX it either, after two or three weeks weeks of cussing. I'm going to fix it. Tomorrow. Glue. Goop. No more problem. Tomorrow.
                              I don't know about the glue/goop thing, that's not fixing it. I know you're frustrated ( been there ) but I don't think that's the answer. Call the guy and see what he says. I think the glue/goop deal will probably end up biting you in the Boo Boo.
                              Last edited by corvettedad; February 28, 2017, 07:02 PM.
                              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

• Originally posted by corvettedad View Post

I don't know about the glue/goop thing, that's not fixing it. I know you're frustrated ( been there ) but I don't think that's the answer. Call the guy and see what he says. I think the glue/goop deal will probably end up biting you in the Boo Boo.
                                I'm willing to take my chances. I need the goop to last for a few weeks, Road Atlanta. I think it may last for a few months. Or forever.

Most of all I need it to last all day Thursday. If Dyno Daddy smells gas, he might not let Red get his run on the drum. Even if I explain it, he has no reason to believe me. Gas smell is gas smell.

Comment

Working...
                                X