No announcement yet.

350 Vega project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

most guys running V8's in Vegas around here are using engine plates....
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by blackZ View Post
      Is there a specific place it's normally attached or do I just have to fab something up?

general rule is attach as high as possible on motor and
      as low as possible on frame.

Comment

I took it out to the track just to see what it would do and I was able to get 5 runs in. I really wasn't expecting much since I was using old P185/60/13 dry rotted Sears Guardsman radials, lol. I had taken it for a few test rides before so I thought I had an idea of how I was going to launch it (if you want to call it that) Man was I wrong! The first run I did a very short burn out and brought it up to 1800 rpms and it didn't go anywhere, backed off and tried to ease back into it and still spun, the 60 ft was a 2.801. I shifted manually into second and it started doing the same thing, so I just kinda let off and rode it to the end to a 10.751 at 66....
        On the second run I thought I would try it again but pay more attention to the gas peddle and pretty much did the same thing only worse. Than run it ran 2.914 60ft and the throttle linkage broke, probably from all the stupidness I was trying to do, lol.
        By now I figured there was no way that car was going to go anywhere on those tires and I needed to step back and think about this for a little bit. After a couple of beers my a/fuel thinking started to come into play and I thought about dropping the timing to try and kill some power, then I walked by the back of my wifes car and noticed a 50lb bag of dog food in the back, then remembered that the gas tank was only about a 1/4 full......So, Saturday morning I topped off the tank, threw the bag of dog food in the spare tire well, dropped the air pressure in the tires to 18 psi. Then I thought I'd just leave off an idle and keep it in drive.
        It still spun the tires but I was able to recover a little better and it ran a 2.552 60ft, but it shifted into 3rd about 100ft before the finish line and really nosed over to a 10.08 at 70 mph.
        I wasn't allowed to run in the groove because of the street tires tearing up the track so on the 4th run I thought I'd leave off of an idle again, keep it in 2nd gear and try to get over in the rubber as soon as I can without smacking the guard rail. That netted a 9.354 at 78.82 mph with a 2.290 60ft, and I kinda got out of it at the end because I started to hear a banging noise, it was the passenger side window wiper banging on the wind shield.
        So.....I had entered the jackpot race they were having and was thinking I would just try to do the same thing and see what happened, I dialed in at 9.33 and was going to wait for the wiper to start banging again and see where the other car was at and I'd probably have to get out of it to keep from breaking out. The other car dialed in at 8.83, I had an rt of .182 to his .376 so when my wiper started to bang I looked over and he was in my blind spot and I couldn't see him at all, so like an idiot i got out of it and looked over only to see him come flying by, I ended up with a 9.86 at 61.65 and lost by .0812.
        My daughter captured most of it on her GoPro, so i'll post those up later, be warned I kinda dropped the Fbomb right when I was passed
        Now I'm kinda at a cross road with this project...I could get a posi rear with some gears maybe a 3.73 or 4.10, and some slicks instead of the open 2.92's in there now, I have a nitrous kit that I could probably use if I could get it to hook up and a few other little things I could do to make it a fun little car......or I could just get rid of it and concentrate on my Camaro, or just keep it as it is and drive it around. After all its been kind of a fun little street car.

Comment

Oh, one more thing, on the 9.35 run it ran a 6.201 to the 330ft and on the last run where I dialed 9.33 it ran 6.184, so I'm thinking had I not let off it might have ran a 9.33!
          Oh well.
          The DA yesterday was 3100 ft so in the end its probably a low 14 second car on P185/60/r13 tires.
          Last edited by blackZ; June 25, 2017, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

It's a pretty long video and there is some bad language in it, we have a couple more that lll post up later but I've got to do a few things first.

Comment

I added some stripes this morning and parked it in the sun so I could get a couple of bubbles out.

Comment

Since my Photobucket account is screwed up I thought I'd post a picture crusin around.

Comment

I'm almost a year into this little project and now it has a rear sub frame with a narrowed 9", 3.70 gears with a spool, ladder bars and adjustable coil overs. It's not finished but it's really to be taken back apart, adjust a few small things, painted and put back together for the last time.

Comment

looks awesome. what is this "last time" you refer to? the only way it is the last time for any of my hoopties is if my next move is to sell it.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Gotta agree w/SBG on this one! Always something else needs doing.

Dan

Comment

Maybe I should have said last time before I take it for a ride. Although, if someone wants to buy it.....

Comment

I am going to look around for a rear disk brake kit for it and get that on next. I need to try and figure out how to stiffen up the front end also, the steering shaft sometimes hits the header and I have a feeling it's going to do it more often now.
                              What do you guys think about a cowl hood? I was kinda looking at those, I also have a smoked plexiglass scoop that I would have to cut a hole in the hood for. I'd like to have some kind of air filter on it and add a nitrous plate, that I already have. Right now I can't fit anything on there, it only has about one inch clearance. There is also an electric fan sitting in the garage that will probably find it's way in there too.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X