"THE ARTISAN" High school 69 nova pro-touring build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "THE ARTISAN" High school 69 nova pro-touring build

Hi, my name is Paul Estrella and i am an Automotive instructor At Greater New Bedford Vocational Technical High School. We are in the beginning stages of building a 1969 pro-touring nova. We are building this car to demonstrate the unbelievable talents and skills that our students have. This is a project that is much bigger than building a car with a great group of kids. We Are teaching and demonstrating the importance of responsibility, accountability, and Productivity. We always encourage them to dream big, strive for greatness and never be afraid to work hard. We are a school located 40 mins south of Boston and a demographic where many of these students have never seen a car like this or never been in one. We are building this nova in collaboration with many of our shops within our building. We are currently in the process of having the visual design students create the artisan logo and a rendering of the vision of the build. We have met with the Internet tech and engineering students where they will be creating and maintain the website for the build. We have a full machine shop,fabrication shop,collision repair shop and Automotive shop that will be highly involved in the build. We Have opened the opportunity for students that are in shops that are not involved to come work on the project after school. Their is no funding from the school for projects like these so we are trying to build high end cars on a High school teachers budget. Majority of the build is done after school and students are allowed to work on it if it falls into the curriculum for that specific area. Our students are learning the ropes on budgeting, buying,selling parts and internet marketing. This is the only way to get new stuff besides donations of parts. We are using this build to gain awareness and importance of vocational education for high school students. By building this car we will be using it to help fund raise (ie car show at school) and ALL money raised goes to students scholorships for post secondary education and to help students buy supplies needed to get started in their trade. We all remember our first time going into a racecar or hotrod. We are giving these kids that chance to create those memories of building something themselves. Click image for larger version

Name:	kids.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	1133474
    Attached Files

Sounds like n amazing program..
    Best of all luck!

Comment

To me there is something sacred about passing along the info and the passion for building cars - or anything else done with one's hands, for that matter. Are you familiar with "Craftsman's Legacy"? Worth a Google. The host is a motorcycle builder but he visits craftspersons from quilt makers to blacksmiths.

Please keep up this thread so we can see what the kids are up to. Many of us don't DO social media (I'm one of them) so we'd be out of the loop if you don't input here. If you look thru this "Project Cars" topic you'll see all sorts of interesting builds that might be inspirational to the kids.

Best of luck!

Dan

Comment

pretty cool stuff... keep us posted
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	1133628
          Here The students are drilling The hinges after we finished gaping the deck lid and hood Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	1133629

Comment

Name:	20161122_104219_zps2etqcubk.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	1133637Found we had a 1964-65 327, 365hp corvette winters l79 intake on the motor Click image for larger version

Name:	motor3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	1133638

Comment

Name:	motor removed.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	1133642Not bad for his first motor. Was a team effort with a bunch of studentsClick image for larger version

Name:	motor3.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	1133643
              Attached Files

Comment

XLNT! I love that grin!

Dan

Comment

Awesome....keep us posted. This is a great way to get kids into cars...like real cars!

Comment

Originally posted by Artisan Motoworks Club View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1133637[/ATTACH]Found we had a 1964-65 327, 365hp corvette winters l79 intake on the motor [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1133638[/ATTACH]
                    Cool project; I'll be following this one.

​If that is truly a Vette engine and you want a 6.0 LS, I would sell it to some crazy Vette restorer and generate some $.

Comment

Cool project and especially the work you are doing with the kids.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Want to Give a Big Thanks To Parke Bishop over at Bishop Built Rides. This is a gorgeous radiator support that started this whole build. Parke donated this to the dinner we where attending and I won it as the door prize. I was able to speak at the dinner and explained that i am a automotive instructor at a Vocational High school and how i try to incorporate building cars into my curriculum. Unfortunately any of our projects are privately funded by us teachers and it take a long time to complete one of our projects. Many times they get put on the back burner because of funds not being able to finish them. I exsplained that i would have never been able to buy such a nice piece and explained how grateful i was. Before I got back to my seat Jason Over at Ridetech reach out to me and gave me his card and said he wants to help out. Rob over at Pch rods gave me his card and said he would help out also. I cant express how i felt to have these guys help out and how excited my students were when i told them about the help.

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1134066Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	1134067Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	1134068

Comment

prepping for the new radiator supportClick image for larger version

Name:	20161201_153347_zpsfc987aq1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	1134072
                          Attached Files

Comment

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	1134076time to pull the seats out and finish gutting the interior.
                            Attached Files

Comment

It warms my heart to hear that the industry is kicking in. I'm just a guy working in a home shop and I can't donate much but I CAN appreciate that those who can, are.

Good to see this project has made it on our "front page" - always cool. Have you turned the kids on to our "Project Cars" section? If I were them I'd really dig that.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X