No announcement yet.

Scott's 1964 Galaxie 500 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older derby guys used to use the fronts of the FE motors as anvils when hitting.. Seen many run waterless.. Tough motors.
    Last edited by Deaf Bob; September 21, 2017, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      Great to hear from you, Scott! You're right - those FE cast iron intakes are HEAVY! I'll wager the old engine has either bad valve guides or maybe just failed seals. Given the age it would be expected. It's excellent that the new heads have tight guides but I don't remember FE's as being real hard on guide wear as the top end oils pretty well IIRC. You're making my old memory work overtime!

I'll point out that you seem to be enjoying the ol' Ford and I think that's cool. I like 'em all and don't get the "it's gotta be XXXXX (insert brand of your choice) or nothin." I've seen decals with "I'd rather walk than drive a Yugo (or whatever)". My though was always "Ummm - OK. Go for it, dude......"

Dan
      The low compression on 352, and the fact it sat for 34 years, I am guessing it is a combination of valve seals and stuck rings. I suppose I could pull the 352 and do the same kind of rebuild on it, but let's face it, the 352 is a "huh, what is that?" engine. The 390 is well known and desirable. The extra cubes will help move this boat much easier as well.

I have had made the car somewhat fun to drive, but it doesn't replace my Impala, not even close. I need to sell it in order to get my Impala back on the road. BTW, I have never been a brand loyal guy. I want and would buy a Mopar, if I could find one I could afford. Before I bought my GMC truck, I had looked and test drove F100's and F150's and Dodge D100's. They were either too much money or too much work to be a daily driver. I always liked these '64 Galaxies and wanted to try my hand at something different. Besides, the kid who sold it to me kept dropping the price until I found it more than just an interesting car to look at.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
        Older derby guys used to use the fronts of the FE motors as anvils when hitting.. Seen many run waterless.. Tough motors.
        I am sure they liked these Galaxie frames too. They are sure beefy.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I pickup up a pair of replacement FE engines for the Jetboat, a 352 and a 390. Both had been pulled back in the day for replacement engines as they "smoked badly".

On teardown I found the lower oil drainback holes under the valve covers were COMPLETELY blocked with sludge. Funny, engines were relatively clean inside, other than that sludge in the lower areas. Anyways, my theory is that the reason they smoked was that with the drainback holes blocked the next level available for drainback would have kept the oil level in the valve area completely ABOVE the valve stems.

No wonder they smoked. I am fairly confident my FEs are fine, now that those holes are clear. The valves were never designed to seal when submerged in an oil pool.

Maybe yours is similar?
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• I've said it before and I'll say it again - I've always like the styling of that vintage of Galaxy.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• So how long until the 390 is between the fenders and making tire smoke? The Tour was lots of fun, the beaters mostly made it, two of my dad's cars dropped off, 36 lost an alternator first day but made the second day easily, 64 ate the trans cooler my brother put on in the wrong spot and took out the radiator. His 36 hit a deer a couple months ago, trying to get him to paint it a better color. People definitely noticed your Galaxy, the lettering stood out among the crowd.

Comment

• I just ordered the rebuild parts this week. Then I will get busy rebuilding the 390. I will probably clean up the block in the meantime. It has the usual 50 years of grunge on it and in it.

The little kids really like the lettered up car. Makes me nervous because they have a tendency to run towards me to get a better look, unless Mom is around to grab them. I am hoping to have it sold before the next Tour Nebraska. I want my Impala running by then.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I think I might forego next year's Tour. Really cut into my time and money doing it this year. I'll build another car and bring it to one. That was tons of fun and an adventure, but travelling 1000 miles one way to do it is a bit much.

Comment

• I may not go next year either. I am not happy about the rushed drive. Feel like we have to race to the morning stop, then race to the lunch stop. Kind of defeats the purpose of seeing the state if we are all roaring though towns at highway speeds. I am more of a relaxed drive, stopping here and there when I see something cool. Exploring little towns along the way.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Sounds like you and Todd should make your own tour.

Dan

Comment

• save your back put an aluminum intake on the 390....
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Find me one that is reasonably priced and I will get it. Aluminum ones used are over $300.

Yesterday, I found a chrome breather designed for the style of valve covers I have. It has a pcv valve fitting in it. I also got a flex fan for this car for better airflow at idle and slow speeds. I also found an old galvanized drain pan. it is a deep one, about 4 inches deep. it will be great to use to clean parts in.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                            Find me one that is reasonably priced and I will get it. Aluminum ones used are over $300.

Yesterday, I found a chrome breather designed for the style of valve covers I have. It has a pcv valve fitting in it. I also got a flex fan for this car for better airflow at idle and slow speeds. I also found an old galvanized drain pan. it is a deep one, about 4 inches deep. it will be great to use to clean parts in.
                            I got lucky on the parts clearer thing. I found one in the trash (a real, genuine store-bought) and was told I could take it. A little cobbling to make the pump work and I've used it ever since - probably 18 years or so.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                            X