Scott's 1964 Galaxie 500 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    If this project gets bogged down with all our neat ideas, it'll never get done!
    I'm afraid you're right on THAT one! Still, iffffff .........

Dan

Comment

WereŽnt aluminum front fenders and bumpers available too for these veehicles ?

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
        WereŽnt aluminum front fenders and bumpers available too for these veehicles ?
        Yes.... Drag car option I think? Might have been a sub-contractor type of an option?

Comment

It also included a disclaimer stating that the fit and finish of the car did not meet the normal standards of FoMoCo.

Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
          1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
          1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

Yes, they made aluminum and even fiberglass pieces for these Galaxies, but they are super rare.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

My Ford has sat idly by while I tried to keep my truck running running with a malfunctioning EFI unit on it. Finally was able to get back at it last night. I only got the right axle and drum brake back together last night. I was fighting with the parking brake lever arm that clips on the rear brake shoe for an hour. The hole in the new brake shoe was too small and the little clip for it was a fight to get back on. I also remembered to find the one nut for the driveshaft U-joint that lost itself in the crack of my garage floor. Using a magnet I located that and tightened up the U joint bolts. I also discovered the u-joints have grease zerks in them buried in dirt and grease. Before I drop the car off the jack stands, I will be lubing everything on the car.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I finally got some work done on the Galaxie over the weekend. Got the last brake and axle back in the rear diff, filled the diff with fluid, bled brakes, pulled gas tank, wrapped the rust holes in the tailpipe, rehung the tailpipe, and fixed the leaking carb.

Also found more mud dauber nests.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170121_152219.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	1142156 Click image for larger version

Name:	20170121_152219.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	1142157

Those coil over shocks were on the car when I bought. This is the third car I have bought with those. Hopefully, these shocks are not completely worn out like the last two.

Name:	20170121_200846.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	1142158 Click image for larger version

Name:	20170121_200846.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	1142159

Name:	20170121_200851.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	1142160

As you can see, any where a wasp could build a nest, they did. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170122_150101.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	1142161 Click image for larger version

Name:	20170122_150101.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	1142162

Name:	20170122_150401.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	1142163

The reason why the car would only run a minute before dying from drowning in gas was a simple one. The carb kit came with a new power valve, a 7.5 interestingly, but the gasket included was rock hard and gas was pouring by it. I found out this by filling the bowls with gas with the lid off. The power valve sits in the bottom of the front bowl and it's weep hole is the triangular hole in front of the two primary venturis in the bottom of the carb. A new power valve gasket and it was off to the races.

Name:	FB_IMG_1482373295051.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	1142164

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Here is a video of it running. The radiator cap couldin't hold any pressure as the rubber gasket within it was gone. After getting a new one, I let it run long to pressurize the system and see if the heater works. I found the next weak point. the lower radiator hose started peeing all over.. I will get new ones when I pull the radiator to have it checked out.

This Galaxie 500 2 dr sedan has sat on a farm since the 80s. Got her running today.

Name:	20170122_181806 a.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	1142166
                  Last edited by Scott Liggett; January 22, 2017, 08:26 PM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

One other note. While running for 15 minutes, individual lifters would get yappy, then quiet down, then another would start up and quiet down. The engine continued to run nice and smooth.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

sounds good!
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                        One other note. While running for 15 minutes, individual lifters would get yappy, then quiet down, then another would start up and quiet down. The engine continued to run nice and smooth.
                        might be a good candidate for a couple of oil changes with a big bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil in before the second one. Or a quart of ATF.

Or both.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I was thinking shoving in either some ATF or Seafoam.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

That sounds like it's running real well. Good job! Duct tape on the exhaust? I think you've been hanging out with Frieburger.

Ever find a Toploader? It's funny, all the Mustang guys seem like they can't wait to get rid of them but yet Toploaders seem to demand a good price. I love mine. I'll never forget the day I bought mine at the swap meat carrying it to my car. I literally had a hernia and waiting for surgery. That was fun.
                            Last edited by Huskinhano; January 23, 2017, 03:37 PM.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                              That sounds like it's running real well. Good job! Duct tape on the exhaust? I think you've been hanging out with Frieburger.
                              That is not duct tape. It would melt in 2 minutes. It is an exhaust wrap as a temp fix for rust holes in the exhaust. There is a rust hole in the trunk floor right above it.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post

That is not duct tape. It would melt in 2 minutes. It is an exhaust wrap as a temp fix for rust holes in the exhaust. There is a rust hole in the trunk floor right above it.
                                OK, I see it now. The angle of the pipe very closely follows the contour. I've put duct tape on exhaust pipes before. 3 minutes.
                                Tom
                                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                                X