Scott's 1964 Galaxie 500 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott's 1964 Galaxie 500 Project

​A few days ago, I bought a 1964 Galaxie 500 2 dr post car from a friend. He got it in trade when he sold a truck, did some work on it, but he wasn't into it and dropped the price low enough to get my interest. Under the hood, is a 4 bbl FE engine. He thought it was a 352, but I can't any info these cars got 4 bbl 352's in 1964. I am currently scraping 50 years of grease and muck off the engine and trans in order to figure out what it really is. The trans is 3 spd manual, on the column.

Current plans are to get it running and driving again, reliably and safely, clean it up really well, new tires, wheels and exhaust. Then probably pass it along to someone to finish.

For being from Nebraska, it is pretty solid. The trunk pan is a bit rusty, the floor pan and frame are really solid. the left front fender is done in, but the local yard has 6 of these and I am told two of them have good left fenders. We will see.

The pics below are the ones I took the first time I looked at it. I have more to upload later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161120_113756.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	1136633 Click image for larger version

Name:	20161120_113821.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	1136634 Click image for larger version

Name:	20161120_113708.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	1136635 Click image for larger version

Name:	20161120_113734.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	1136636 Click image for larger version

Name:	20161120_113647.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	1136637 Click image for larger version

Name:	20161120_113810.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	1136638 Click image for larger version

Name:	20161120_113900.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	1136639

Name:	20161120_113756.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	1136632
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

I LIKE IT!!

I can't remember the external differences between the 352 and the 390 but I'll bet the engine numbers should tell the tale. Somehow I'm not sure that 36CID would make a huge difference anyhow. It needs a Foxcraft floor shift conversion (anyone else remember THOSE??) and a bit of spiffing up. Of course a Hurst would work better but the Foxcraft was weirder and even more period correct. Even then a manual was pretty uncommon in a big car but I hated those column shifters as they had a nasty habit of hanging up on the 1-2 shift especially just as you were pulling away from the guy in the next lane after the light changed (not that I would personally know anything about that but guys talk, you hear things.....).

I had a '62 390 w/top loader that I think was a conversion from a 292 though I couldn't verify that. I was NOT in a position to spiff it up and had to let it go (those were hard times for me). Still, I always liked it. It's unusual that this one has all the gingerbread (side chrome, window trim, etc.) but just had the stick. Someone must have really hated automatics as most stick shift cars back then would have been stripped down models ordered by cheapskates.

I would have been a Junior in HS and I would have thought that was a pretty neat ride. Still do.

Dan

Comment

It's not a 63, but I still like it!
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        I LIKE IT!!

I can't remember the external differences between the 352 and the 390 but I'll bet the engine numbers should tell the tale. Somehow I'm not sure that 36CID would make a huge difference anyhow. It needs a Foxcraft floor shift conversion (anyone else remember THOSE??) and a bit of spiffing up. Of course a Hurst would work better but the Foxcraft was weirder and even more period correct. Even then a manual was pretty uncommon in a big car but I hated those column shifters as they had a nasty habit of hanging up on the 1-2 shift especially just as you were pulling away from the guy in the next lane after the light changed (not that I would personally know anything about that but guys talk, you hear things.....).

I had a '62 390 w/top loader that I think was a conversion from a 292 though I couldn't verify that. I was NOT in a position to spiff it up and had to let it go (those were hard times for me). Still, I always liked it. It's unusual that this one has all the gingerbread (side chrome, window trim, etc.) but just had the stick. Someone must have really hated automatics as most stick shift cars back then would have been stripped down models ordered by cheapskates.

I would have been a Junior in HS and I would have thought that was a pretty neat ride. Still do.

Dan

How about a Fenton ShiftStar 200 floor shifter instead? I gots one of them.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I towed the car home Thursday night. It took two friends and a girl steering to get the car in the garage. Dang, this thing is heavy. Books say 3950 lbs. But, it felt heavier. I found out why later. You will see.

Name:	20161215_194931.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	1136663 Click image for larger version

Name:	20161215_194914.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	1136664

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Last night, I got to work trying to get it running somewhat normal. I have had it running for a short time, it runs nice and smooth when I get it off the choke. It needs adjusting too. Revs smooth too. But, the battery seemed to die trying to get it started and warmed up enough to stay running. No amount of charging, or jump starting seemed to help. So, I started with battery cables from the battery to the starter relay and the negative ground. They were really, really old. That didn't help.

So, I moved to starter and the battery cable from it to the starter relay. It was ancient and about an 10 gauge. Worthless. I jacked up the car to get at the grease blob that was hiding starter and battery cable. That was just the beginning of the grease. Oh my lord, this car has a ton of dirt and grease under it. Literally, a ton. See the pics to what I just started scraping. It was literally 4 inches in places.

Name:	20161216_201958.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	1136667 Click image for larger version

Name:	20161216_203329.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	1136668

I will take the starter in for testing. If it passes, then I will actually clean it to my standards. I am going to need a 55 gallon drum of Simple Green and a steam powered steam cleaner to clean the bottom of this beast.

Name:	20161216_195538.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	1136669

The tires are complete junk. I am stunned they even hold air. I will be shocked if they are newer than the early 1970's.

Name:	20161216_193349.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	1136671

Name:	20161216_193959.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	1136672

I pulled one of the dog dishes off and spent a few minutes cleaning them up. I think I can repaint them too.

Name:	20161216_194703.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	1136673

I spent five minutes with a rag and rubbing compound to bring out the original blue color. I think I can at least clean up what's left of the original paint.

Name:	20161216_205406.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	1136674

Anyone that knows me knows that I can't stand greasy engines, so this won't last long.

More to come.
            Attached Files

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I wonder if someone was driving it around in a muddy field. I did a lot of my early pre-license driving in that situation. Seems like the poor old car will lose a ton of weight that way.

Dan

Comment

Scott's a Furd guy now (temporarily). You've got the right idea. Give it a 'squirrel' resto, and flip it.
                Get it rollin, rub the paint, toss on some shoes, indian blanket seat covers, and sell it as a 'patina'd ride'.

Like this one...

Comment

neat stuff! I sold my 78 ford truck today. I sold my Edsel a couple weeks ago. And I'm going to go look at another Ford product tomorrow....we'll see what happens.

one thing I've heard about the FE engines, is that you kind of have to measure the bore and stroke to figure out what you have. They don't mark them properly, like Chevy did.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

X2. My research into FE engines has me convinced that Ford was purposefully vague and undefinitive with the numbers, both cast and stamped. Probably for racing reasons.

A wire done the plug hole to measure the stroke will tell you for sure if you have a 352 or a 390 though. There is a huge difference so it's pretty easy to figure out.
                    Last edited by STINEY; December 17, 2016, 09:45 PM.
                    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

352-390 is a bore difference, 406 becoes a slight stroke difference..
                      Seeing it is a Galaxie, not a Custom, 390, likely even with 3 on the tree
                      Then 4 barrel might mean it is. 352 instead of a 390..
                      I had 2 '64 Mercs, one was 390 4 barrel with bucket seats, other was bench with 390 and 2 barrel (know it wa 390 as I put rings in it)
                      Ford was funny like that..
                      I have seen 64 2 door coupes with 390, 4 barrel, floor shifted buckt seat cars.. Same thing may even be 352. It might have something to do in which part of the model year (early 64 models built in late 63 might likely have 352 while 64 models built in 64 have 390's)

Comment

that'll be cool when driving - I like the body style, one of my favorite Fords
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                          I wonder if someone was driving it around in a muddy field. I did a lot of my early pre-license driving in that situation. Seems like the poor old car will lose a ton of weight that way.

Dan

It's definitely a farm car. Lot's of driving on dirt roads. Maybe even on unmaintenanced roads. There are a lot around here.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            neat stuff! I sold my 78 ford truck today. I sold my Edsel a couple weeks ago. And I'm going to go look at another Ford product tomorrow....we'll see what happens.

one thing I've heard about the FE engines, is that you kind of have to measure the bore and stroke to figure out what you have. They don't mark them properly, like Chevy did.

People have a tendency to think that because an engine has 352 cast into the front, it must be that. Many of the 390's and 427's had 352's cast in the front.

The 5th code is an X which should be a 220 hp 352 2 bbl. Z code would a 4 bbl 390. The date code matches the year of the car.

But, you never know what people do over the span of 50 years a car has been on the road.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

you kind of have to measure the bore and stroke to figure out what you have
                              Yep. 352 is easy 4x3.5 , 360 is 4.05x3.5. 390 is 4.05x3.78, 406 is 4.13x3.78, 410 is 4.05x3.98, 427 (yeah, right) is 4.23x3.78, 428 is 4.13x3.98.

Long story short use the wire method, if you get about 3.5" it's 99.99% you have a 352, if it's 3.78 99.99999% it's a 390. If by some miracle it's 3.98 someone probably put a 410 Mercury in it, I think they made more of those than 428s. Regardless of what it's got, it's a cool car, I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X