No announcement yet.

squirrel's Luxo Barge -- 1975 Lincoln Mark IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah. I've been wondering what it looked like from the outside Any pictures of the wheez-o-matic?
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      ....and your gas card to pay the way!

I'm sure the gear vendors box and MSII would overly compensate for the aero drag... Just Sayin'
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

That thing is bitchin! Always loved the idea of a vintage fullsize!
        Local person
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          thanks! I've noticed that any time I put a trailer behind anything, it gets 10-11 mpg.
          I don't want to make you feel bad (remember, I dig the Lincoln) but Truck the Dodge/Cummins, gets 18 towing Mutt the Race truck on my open trailer including going over the Smokies. I love me that Dodge!

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; December 20, 2016, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            I used to haul with a '73 Toronado. While I know they are very different animals the concept of towing with a big-inch passenger car sort of applies. Mine worked great for that.

Dan
            Much like the 73 Coupe De Ville my dad bought from a friend. Set up for towing. Class 3 hitch, trailer brakes, big trans cooler, Dad's friend somehow thought the 472 wasn't big enough and installed an earlier Eldorado 500 in it. It pulled a 22 ft trailer like it wasn't there. It got 8 mpg no matter what. City, highway, towing, up a mountain, it got 8 mpg. I loved that car.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

A few pics of the greasy side, so you can see the struggles I face working on this thing. I already replaced a part...the steering was loose, I put a new pitman arm on it, that seemed to help a lot. The odometer says 33k miles, and looking under here, I tend to believe it. Lots of age, not much use.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

a few more underneath

My fabulous web page

Comment

I found a few parts had been replaced already...the AC compressor, the exhaust (including new dual cats), upper control arm bushings, hoses, belts, the tires are 5-6 years old. It still needs front shocks. The tag light was missing, it was unplugged and the wire was taken out of the hole in the trunk, the light assembly unscrewed and removed. I don't know what's up, if they were trying to find a new one or a new bulb or ??? Anyways, I can't find one on the internet to even look at a picture...so I made one, using some modern stuff left over from robot projects. White LED strip about 8" long, a piece of thin aluminum angle to mount it on, and some wire, and it works.

My fabulous web page

Comment

I was thinking about doing the LED tail light to the Impala, you didn't notice any issue with strobing?
                    "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

I'm using normal bulbs for all the lights that I have the normal original sockets for.

I dont know how it would strobe...there is no switching power supply, it's just a set of LEDS on a strip that has them wired in series, with a current limiting resistor. This type of thing:

My fabulous web page

Comment

Control arm bushings and those parts suggest 130,000 miles? brake pedal pad wear?
                        Either way, 100,000 miles mor or not, just broken in!
                        Sweet car!

Comment

HydraBoost? Didn't realize those cars had that....neat. Definitely a clean car, nice score.
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

There are some rubber parts that didn't survive the years, but most of them are fine. I just changed the front shocks...one was leaking, and the lower bushing was missing! but the other was fine. They look like OEM shocks, the ones I removed. I've worked on a lot of cars over the years, this one looks like it's a low mileage, 5 year old car. For the most part.

The brake combination valve is leaking, I guess I need to look into that...it's a funky thing...I hear some of these cars had crude ABS on the rear. Could be fun.

Yeah, hydroboost is related to the rear disc brakes. And being a heavy car, with lots of vacuum loading (it has a tomato juice can on the firewall, and another large reservoir up front for the vacuum headlight doors).

My fabulous web page

Comment

Sounds like it's just begging to have an 8-71 put on it.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Not really...it has sufficient power for what it needs to do. I have other plans for an 8-71, and they involve something light, so it will go fast.
                                My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X