squirrel's Luxo Barge -- 1975 Lincoln Mark IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squirrel's Luxo Barge -- 1975 Lincoln Mark IV

Picked up a new used car today, it was in Phoenix, had been from Missouri? or who knows. Two rust holes, one in each front fender, in front of the wheel. Strange. Right quarter was replaced long ago, the door was also repaired. 33k miles on the clock, it could be 133 in real life. Cream puff....almost perfect original interior...almost completely original under the hood. Climate control works, cruise works, most of the windows work, etc. 460, C6, 9-3/8" rear with 2.75 Track Lok diff. It'll spin the tires, which is mandatory, eh?

Click image for larger version

Name:	mark01.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	1136764
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Future drag week car? 500+ cubic inch stroker? I am looking forward to this build just like the rest. Put air bags on the back and use it to pull the airstream! You think DF will give you an exception on the trailer size?
    Last edited by Russell; December 18, 2016, 06:19 PM.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

I have a fast car for drag week. But this one ought to pull the Airstream....other places....just fine. I have a weight distributing hitch, should not need air bags on the car.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Those are great riding cars. My aunt had one in the same color, with matching landeau top. It just oozed posh.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Built in the era for cruising the highways of America. Comfy, smooth ride. All you need now is a set of golf clubs and a country club membership.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The Cartier clock is just so stylish. It even runs, for about 23 seconds at a time.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

for about 23 seconds at a time
              About the time it takes the smoggy wheez-o-matic 460 to get 0-60. It's nice to have a car that feels like you're floating along on a cloud on long trips though, nice find.

Comment

iirc the title on Dad's says 5500 pounds. It's not just a smooth ride, it's a steam roller. Small bumps flatten out while you drive over them. I'm sure you've been on the 460 boards already but as the story goes it's a timing chain away from running a whole lot better if it's still got the stock piece in it.

They're scary going up steep hills - you lose the horizon, nothing but hood. I forgot about the rear wheel wells.. probably fit a 31x10.50 with no real effort. haha. I can't remember but J78 comes to mind. I think a five lug C10 truck rim may work for a spare.
                Last edited by Beagle; December 19, 2016, 06:41 AM.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

It has another aluminum wheel for a spare already, and I have an extra steel wheel from some full size 70s ford in my collection. No concerns there. It will stay pretty much completely stock, it has sufficient power for what it needs to do...which is steam roll down the highway. I just have to make sure that we don't spill too much stuff on the pristine green shag carpet.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

I used to haul with a '73 Toronado. While I know they are very different animals the concept of towing with a big-inch passenger car sort of applies. Mine worked great for that.

Dan

Comment

Needs a set of SCJ heads and a 6-71 belt driven air filter...😱
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

....and your gas card to pay the way!

Dan...interesting you should mention a Toronado...I was seriously considering buying a 72. It was a nice car, but needed a few more things than the Lincoln (the interior and paint were not as nice, for starters). One neat thing about the Lincoln is that I have other rear end gears for it. Although they're 9" instead of 9.375", but I can swap the complete 3rd member.

My fabulous web page

Comment

oh...according to the tape measure, the rear wheel well at the top is 15" wide inside, so it should handle a tire with around 13" sidewall width. Even bigger if you dont mind it looking like a race car.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                            Built in the era for cruising the highways of America. Comfy, smooth ride. All you need now is a set of golf clubs and a country club membership.

and ownership of a small refinery.

Joking aside, it should get basically the same fuel economy as a $75,000 new diesel truck - but with oh-so-much-more-class. Neat purchase
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 19, 2016, 10:28 AM.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

thanks! I've noticed that any time I put a trailer behind anything, it gets 10-11 mpg.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                              X