Great Pumpkin Mustang build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Remy-Z View Post
    I need to get the truck jacked up to find out the ratio and the passenger wheel off to see if the axle has taken any damage.
    The codes on the door tag under 'axle'. AWD Exploders came with 3:55, 3:73, and 4:10 ratios.

Here are the codes.

Comment

Found most of the build sheet and a spare door/ignition key in aluminum.

Also have access to the spot behind the dent on the driver's side, planning on putting one of the shop heaters onto the metal, then will work on slowly attempting to push the dent out...
      Where was the build sheet? If I follow you correctly, the key was by your foot, surely they didn't put the build sheet there too?

You might be able to press that dent out nicely....since you can access it, see if you can fit a deflated football behind it. Brace the football in the interior side if necessary, and slowly inflate it. It pushes very evenly and really works wonders. Plus it's nearly free to try.

On the explorer part out - I was amazed at what odd stuff people wanted from the truck I parted recently. Seat belts were a hot item, sunvisors, front spindles.......maybe when you are ready just toss an ad up stating you are parting it and let the market tell you what it needs? Even a trans that may or may not work is worth a gamble to someone if it's cheap enough. Hey, $50 is $50, that kind of thing, ya know?

I didn't get rich on the truck, put I did get the parts I wanted for free, plus an extra $150. Works for me.
      Last edited by STINEY; February 11, 2017, 06:09 PM.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Where was the build sheet? If I follow you correctly, the key was by your foot, surely they didn't put the build sheet there too?
        Actually, it was. The sheet was laying on top of the floor metal, about 2-3" in front of the seat mounts, with the key sitting on top of it.
        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Paid some attention to the Explorer today. It's packing a 3.73 with a limited slip, so that's a bonus. Unfortunately, I can't determine if the rear axle has a problem without either taking it out, or without putting on a non-bent wheel and tire and feeding the trans some fluid to get it to move. Ran the 5.0 for a bit, it's behaving as it should and oddly enough, isn't even throwing a code. Guess the front end wasn't rattled. Don't see smoke, don't smell anything bothersome. Exhaust ends just in front of the catalytic converter, everything else is decoration past that point. Neighbors must love me after today, lol. The list of what I can feasibly sell off of the truck on Craigslist to recover some of the money is surprisingly small...front seats, rear hatch glass, CHMSL, maybe a front fender..."mild" rollover, my ass, this thing is about dead.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Unfortunately, I can't determine if the rear axle has a problem without either taking it out, or without putting on a non-bent wheel and tire and feeding the trans some fluid to get it to move.
            Pull the driveshaft and spin the axle yoke with an impact wrench. That's how we checked them at the junkyard..

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post

Pull the driveshaft and spin the axle yoke with an impact wrench. That's how we checked them at the junkyard..
              Good tip! I wouldn't have thought of that.

Dan

Comment

Well, I can at least say that there is no binding in the axle. A quart or two of ATF and the Exploder is yard-drivable. I decided to let it try out the pile of fill-dirt in the backyard...climbed it like a boss both forwards and in reverse. It's a damn shame the frame is tweaked, I'd hack the roof off of it and beat on it while I prepared the Mustang for the engine swap! Oh, well...Click image for larger version

Name:	16708515_10158106561480184_3346056675632238909_n.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1145805

Comment

Great Gnus!

Dan

Comment

maybe if you roll it in the opposite direction a little harder than the first time, it will un-tweak it?
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

You think you will be the only one with a tweaked frame driving around? Take it down the highway if it drives straight ish rock on. You might be able to get it good enough with a toe adjustment.
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Even for Kentucky, if I took this thing down the highway, I'd be in jail in zero seconds flat. I've got a straight wheel, so here in a bit I'll put the amazingly ok tire on the bent rear wheel and take it a couple of miles up and down the farm roads to see what I'm in for. However, for now, work is slowing down in the garage...will pick this back up next month. Got some planning and preparation to do.

Comment

For those who haven't already learned: I got my first quote for the re-skin job for the Mustang's top today.

$2,369, labor and all. And if something happens to the fiberglass shell between removal and reinstallation, might as well call it an even $5,000.

Comment

Ass puckering amounts for a $500 car?
                            No price on sentimentialism...

Comment

Take the zest off that orange ! And install the larger quarter windows .
                              Last edited by Dan Barlow; February 21, 2017, 09:59 AM.
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

$2,369, labor and all.
                                Wow. Someone does NOT want to do that job.

Shop around more?

For that much, I could do a fairly credible job myself. Its just cleaning, cutting to shape from patterns, folding, gluing, and clipping till glue dries. Maybe find a local seamstress or tailor (do they still exist?) who is game for something a little different.

If you were more local, I have just the people in mind. Johnsville Ohio too far for ya?
                                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X