Great Pumpkin Mustang build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Pumpkin Mustang build thread

Wow...almost feels weird doing another project thread! Anyways, a lot of the fluff of Great Pumpkin, the 1980 Mustang Ghia that belongs to my wife, will be on the front page. Here is where I will be asking questions, venting at the near-R-rated level I'm known for when shit doesn't go my way and celebrating immediately when things somehow, miraculously do go right. I have no excuse for not working on the car...we've got the garage up and running, with heaters, and I've got enough tools that I should be able to handle just about anything short of a subframe drop with ease.

Here's the issues I have right now: There is a 4.2L V8 in the engine bay instead of a useful motor. Nothing I can do for it right now. The car has an electrical drain (I believe it's tied to the swivel map light, but could be wrong), an appetite for coolant that I haven't figured out yet, and the most frightening brakes that I've ever experienced on a car, ever. I have the stuff for the brakes to get the car drivable, but I'm thinking that a different master cylinder (maybe 1993 Cobra) might be a worthwhile upgrade. The blower fan only works as an on-off switch instead of a four-position selection like it should, I just cleaned out four softball-sized wads of chewed up jute padding from each duct, and I'm suspecting that I'll be doing a heater core sooner than later (though, there is no wet floor, no smell of coolant, and a heater that is perfect in the currently 15 degree temperatures. The seats suck (common for 79-82 Foxes without the factory Recaros), the woodgrain dash panels have got to go,, there are no reverse lights and in a cruel twist of fate, the dash lights are barely functional. And let's not discuss the appearance right now.

Right now, the plan is just to get the car up and operable. Mods will come as time progresses, but for now I'm repairing what I can where I can while I plan out what I need to do for the modifications. I've got a 1998 Explorer V8 in the works that has been lightly rolled that looks perfect for a parts donor. I'm hoping that the 5.0/4R70W combination can plug in with minimal fuss. If anybody has any experience there, I'd love to hear it.
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

I had the same problem with my fan motor. I had to replace the blower motor control module/resistor. Ten dollar part, ten minute fix. Mine had partially melted. On the brakes you'll probably want to upgrade the fronts to dual piston calipers, which were standard on the 99 up. If you do a 5 lug swap then you can use later model rotors and wheels.

Comment

I'm not committing to a five lug swap just yet, but we are certainly looking at one. The ten-hole wheels are a nice choice and if we stay four-lug, will stay put, but we are really limited on what we can do tire-wise. That, and I know she has had her eye on a couple of 5.0s that are local, complete with a lowered stance and some nice wheel choices. Hunting down that module is going to be a pain, I think...can find 1982-up, but not sure if it's the same as the 1979-81 cars. Finding all sorts of weird discrepancies with the first couple of years. Guess I need to go pull the one from the car and track down a part number...

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

The 93 cobra had 4 wheel disk brakes, not sure how that works with the rest of the current or planned brakes. I think 1998 had vats, so that might need a flash if you are using the 98 eec. Unless you really want efi putting a 4 bbl on the explorer motor may be the easiest.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

MacT: As far as that POS 255 V8 goes, yank it, save the timing cover, fuel pump & eccentric off cam ((you'll need this stuff if you stay carb'd with the new bullet), serpentine drive, and (maybe) the flexplate . As for the rest of it, it's value is based purely on it's weight
          (**I had a 1980 Zephyr Z-7 with that lump in it, a gutless 255 c/w 2:41 gears, it was ridiculous anywhere but on the open highway)
          I would think about what your expectations are for brakes, this will influence your direction in parts selection. You have several paths you could go down, later model Fox Four Bolt will get you (slightly) bigger brakes, as will the Lincoln LSC Five Bolt stuff, or SN95 Five Bolt. Other than not having to dish out $$ for 5 bolt wheels, I see little other reason to stay with four bolt wheels. The one nice thing about the SN 95 stuff is that it uses a hub, and the rotor just slips over, making it fairly easy to step up to BIGGER aftermarket stuff. Finding a 94 or 95 donor in the Pick'n'Pull yards these days shouldn't be that bad, and the 94-95 stuff has a slightly narrower track width than the 96-04 cars.
          As far as master cylinder, you'll need to decide on weather you're going 4 wheel disc first, as this will influence your MC bore size. If you decide to go manual brakes, I will send you an early fox MC c/w Firewall adapter plate for whatever it costs me to ship it.
          I did a 1988 Mustang 5.0 Roller motor swap into a 1981 F150 SWB back in '91 or '92. If you go carb'd, it's not bad, you'll need the previously mentioned timing cover, mech pump, eccentric, etc, as well as a 1985 Mustang Carb'd distributor (only year of Carb'd roller motor), and a 50 oz imbalance flex plate that matches your choice of transmission.
          As for diffs, I would look for a 5.0 Mustang 8.8, and then hit Pick'n'Pull for some Ranger or Aerostar 5 bolt axles. If you decide to go Four wheel disc, North Race Cars makes a Bracket to hang SN95 calipers off the fox 8.8. Staying with the Fox 8.8 Keeps your track width slightly narrower than running the SN95 diff.

That's all I can think of ATM, I'm sure you will get plenty of responses

Cheers!
          James

Comment

Good to know on stuff to save. Not sure whether I'm going EFI or carb, but first things first, gotta get the Exploder home first and assess the damage. It's been rolled lightly onto the passenger side, but far enough that the rollover valve has been activated (according to the first phone call with the owner, anyways). The Lincoln stuff has my attention too, for different reasons, but for now, just gathering info. I know camber plates are pretty much a given if I step up to SN-95 equipment up front, esp. 1996-newer, but is there any issue with using SN-95 rear other than track width? Don't think I'm doing manual brakes on this car...it's still Haley's car, I'm just bringing it up to respectable/driver with some added power.

Will definitely mull over the brakes. Gut says 4WDB, but that might be radical overkill for what we are wanting to do. The Explorer mill, on it's own, would be double the power I bet the 255 is making right now, at least.

Comment

If you want to upgrade your brakes and stay 4 lug, find some 87-93 V8 spindles and brakes, they should be a bolt on for that era fox. These item go for cheap or free, since most fox owners want to go five lug. I gave away mine when i switched to 5 lug, I couldn't even sell it.

Comment

Be aware there is a restriction orifice in the heater core inlet line from the factory. A major cause of leaky heater cores is when someone monkeys with the lines for whatever reason, and the restriction is left out.

Ford knew the core was weak - hence the reason for the restriction. Make sure it stays in the loop or you'll be doing the dastardly job of replacement TWICE.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

The 4R70W is controlled by the Explorer ECU, so that may be an unwanted project. You can get stand alone controllers for the trans if you don't want to OBDII swap the car, but they are not inexpensive.

The fuel reset on the Explorer should be a push button just above a passenger's right foot.

Any rear brakes off a '94-'04 V6/GT or Cobra can bolt on to your stock housing by cutting the brake bracket, and mounting from behind the Axle flange. I you swap to 5 lug, this will work using early Ranger driver side axles (long side).
                  Otherwise, mount the caliper bracket the stock way, and use 94-98 Mustang axles. 7.5 and 8.8 are the same, the housing is the same width as the Fox housing, but the outer ends of the axles are approx .75" wider per side.
                  1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
                  1997 Mustang GT
                  sigpic

Comment

Another rear axle possibility - the T-bird TurboCoupe rear is a bolt in and has rear discs. That's what I have in my 'Stang and it was a nice fit though still 4 bolt wheels. You'll need the '93 Cobra emergency brake cables - everything else works fine. I did add a manual proportioning valve. I don't know how scarce TurboCoupe rears are but I found mine in the local paper (pre-Craigslist).

Dan
                    Last edited by DanStokes; January 9, 2017, 10:42 AM.

Comment

It's just personal preference but...

...back when the Fox Mustang was first introduced, it didn't seem like much more than a mild upgrade of the Mustang II...cool, but whatever, and the optional much-touted TRX odd-size wheel-tire package was just a little something for dress-up that suckers bought.

That all changed in a couple years when the GTs were hitting the roads with 225hp Holley 4bbl 302's and REAL SIZE 15x7 wheels in Gatorback rubber...doesn't sound like much, but believe me for a long time we thought we would never see stuff like that again. I used to believe (often correctly) I ruled the canyons w/ my aluminum-V8 Vegas with T/A 50 rubber, that era ended when the '85 Mustangs came out and suddenly new inexpensive cars were as fast or faster at-least for that type of driving than old hot-rodded ones.

...so, times kept changing and for the better, but for me the 15x7's on an early-Fox are kinda symbolic, period-correct and look like they belong there. Not something to automatically get rid of, unless you really need the larger sizes and brake room.

Comment

You're getting the Exploder and not taking the best part - the 8.8 with disk brakes.... I get being different, but different looks awfully silly rammed up in the back of someone or having your wheel pass you after a nice hook at launch.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

If you want to do the Explorer EEC-V EFI, search some Early Bronco sites. The Exp motor is a popular swap and I know cut down harnesses are available.

The later Exploders use a returnless fuel system which can be a pain in the butt and P heads which can make header selection interesting.

If it were me, I'd stay with a carb or swap to 87-93 (eec-iv) style injection and jam a T5 behind it all.
                          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                            It's just personal preference but...

...back when the Fox Mustang was first introduced, it didn't seem like much more than a mild upgrade of the Mustang II...cool, but whatever, and the optional much-touted TRX odd-size wheel-tire package was just a little something for dress-up that suckers bought.

That all changed in a couple years when the GTs were hitting the roads with 225hp Holley 4bbl 302's and REAL SIZE 15x7 wheels in Gatorback rubber...doesn't sound like much, but believe me for a long time we thought we would never see stuff like that again. I used to believe (often correctly) I ruled the canyons w/ my aluminum-V8 Vegas with T/A 50 rubber, that era ended when the '85 Mustangs came out and suddenly new inexpensive cars were as fast or faster at-least for that type of driving than old hot-rodded ones.

...so, times kept changing and for the better, but for me the 15x7's on an early-Fox are kinda symbolic, period-correct and look like they belong there. Not something to automatically get rid of, unless you really need the larger sizes and brake room.
                            All my memories of my 85 5.0 LX came flooding back after reading this. That is one car I'm sorry I ever sold. Loren is right. That car was a game changer, it was defiant to everything else. Here was a new car from the factory with fordged pistons, roller cam and tubular headers. It was fast in it's day. I had a LOT of fun with it. One of by best times was being a 70 Monte Carlo with a 454 at Englishtown. That guy came over to my car to see what I was running and was totally floored to see a stock Ford 5.0.
                            Last edited by Huskinhano; January 9, 2017, 03:42 PM.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                              You're getting the Exploder and not taking the best part - the 8.8 with disk brakes.... I get being different, but different looks awfully silly rammed up in the back of someone or having your wheel pass you after a nice hook at launch.
                              It's actually why I went hunting for an Explorer in the first place. I'm going to be looking over the suspension carefully since the truck did go wrong-way-up, but it looks like a mild roll, so hopefully the axle is ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X