No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talked to Oracle today, it seems Corvette Mod is claiming that these lights fit and are specially made for them but aren't. I'll make them fit but as you will see when I do - it's not a small hole.
    onto more pleasant stuff
    new Fitech computer

back together

started on the steering column. I'm missing a piece that was broken... but it will work for now

first fun thing, the telescoping portion makes the ring compressor useless

see the bolt in the end of the telescoping piece? that's to lock it so I can use the compressor

Also, that tab with the white bit.... you need it and it will fall into the column... ask me how I know

if you wish to remove the key barrel, these are where you need to press

beside press the button on the barrel, you need to turn the ignition switch then figure out a way to pull it out

and time to fix the starter wiring (take the alarm and interlock out)

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Love the car, but I do not miss those columns or the multi function turn stalks on some of the laters. That little bostich of a retaining ring... bad memories. The last GM lock cylinder I did was on a car with lost keys and no value, but had to be moved. I hit it with a slide hammer to get the cylinder out. I went to tap the slide back it in preparation to slam it out... the tap did it, and I about dropped the whole thing on the carpet. I wasn't ready for it to be that easy. Didn't even hurt the column. (rare). We put a cylinder with a key back in there and it worked fine. Then again, 60's cars with the cylinder on the dash and no steering lock were even bigger theft bait.

We used to hide an extra inline switch for the HEI power because leaning on the column correctly would break it. I've never really trusted alarms. I'd ask how your alarm does it but that's like asking which flowerpot has the front door key under it.

funny, almost all of the junk I had was new enough for HEI. I think I may be getting old... I don't really miss filing points either, except the part where something like that could get you home a lot of times. Contrary opinion, I never really had many problems with HEI's. I digress. Carry on!
      Last edited by Beagle; July 15, 2020, 03:29 AM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• I've hid no outside locks and I GPS track all my 'hot rods'.... figure if there's a problem, I'll let the thief call the cops (if they still can)

in less exciting news
        rubbers and wires
        first wires
        fans wired

and in even less excitement... rubber installation

if you want to know the best way to get good adhesion.... and to be sure you didn't put too much on...shut the door

and finally, all I have to trim is everything between the calipers... stupid Corvette Mods...

Comment

• see if walmart has some stove inserts about that size... man, there won't be any bucket left. I'm sitting here thinking baltic birch plywood prototype and if it fits okay, fiberglass it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
            see if walmart has some stove inserts about that size... man, there won't be any bucket left. I'm sitting here thinking baltic birch plywood prototype and if it fits okay, fiberglass it.
            the substance of the discussion with Oracle was whether or not the light's housing could handle being part of the adjustment. they say it can. As long as the stainless ring can attach and the ring can attach to the spring.... it will be fine to cut that much out.... we will see tonight.

Comment

• the tale of two suppliers. Where Corvette Mods was absolutely terrible, Genssi was exactly the opposite. They acknowledged their mistake, they fixed the problem to my satisfaction, and just now, called to verbally apologize and be sure I had heard that they had resolved the problem. I look forward to ordering from them again.

Comment

• Coming along great!

Comment

• lights.
                  the first test is if it will even fit (depth). yes

according to CM, you just need to cut a small hole and a notch

there we go, small hole and a notch

bastards
                  but it's close, one of the stands is too tall but outside of that, I can make it work... whether I use cut up old housings or just lathe something new remains to be seen

and I got to practice my beer can welding

I spent some time tonight stacking interior parts and figuring out what I'm still missing

Comment

• Had to rebuild and change the ignition switch on the tilt column I put in my '39 also. I had nightmares after I finally got it done. PITA taking it all apart, and getting it back together again!
                    Glad you're getting the headlights to work! Wonder how people without a lathe make them fit?

Comment

• Oh good, you didn't glue the doors shut.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                        Oh good, you didn't glue the doors shut.
                        not this time, glue, not this time.

Comment

• lights...
                          imagine the 'simple' task - all you do is cut 90% of the housing away and one stand.... fu Corvette mod

and yet, it's not like it was hard

the stand you have to cut

paint light holders

and viola

and outside under her own power... where I found that the fuel pump wasn't coming on and Powermaster still makes junk

but there could be light... just have to wire it... oh and the plug they wired.... not the same as GM wiring....

Comment

• recap time.
                            Xtreme energy xr280r cam
                            10:1 (and it sure seems like more)
                            16 degrees timing right now... no vacuum advance, just mechanical at whatever came in the box. More likely I'll back that off to 14* and help the starter survive, then hook up the vacuum advance.

I ran into starter issues tonight - I know, right, sbc starter should turn over a 427.... yeah. no.

started setting the IAC, but then it died while I was adjusting some of the baseline parameters and couldn't restart....
                            anyway, this is here for my reference.... lordy it sounds good.

that said, it makes me smile when a high-torque starter that ran a blower motor says "help me" on its replacement
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 19, 2020, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• I like this

Comment

• I'm kind of waiting on parts so doing some misc. stuff.... like the console

paint the chrome

and glue on weather stripping

Comment

Working...
                                X