No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so this may go into hiatus for a week or two. I'm waiting on a bunch of parts, most notably is a plastic bit that goes in the steering column. Without it, I can't assemble much more.... it really isn't an issue with suppliers, apparently they're doing very well as people spend time on their projects - but that reduces inventory, Tomorrow I'll put the new starter on and see how far I can get beyond that.... and try to find the missing headliner. I found 1 of 2, so I guess I need to tear the shop apart to find that other bit....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Time to install parts... things did start arriving, so I could carry on for a minute

I refuse to use Powermaster, I'm not really a fan of knockoffs, but these weren't $1,000... for a 3.1 hp starter

looks just like a tilton

gratuitous engine shot (for those who only have a small block)

in other news... the glow gauges work-ish. well, all except oil pressure and the wideband o2. I also tested the tach, and it needs a new board.
      so I ordered a Dakota Digital dash

I hesitated because I still can't get the clock to work in my '40, but outside of that - it's been very reliable... this should also future proof the gauges. I'm still not convinced I'm going to keep this car (unlike the FJ40 which can be sold in my estate).... so putting gauge in that are plug and play with anything is a good idea and they look good too.... the best part is I won't worry about the tach dying. PF1 had 2 boards during its tenancy here...

Comment

• Can you tell me what other surface on that starter could possibly go against the block with that starter maybe they're thinking people will try and glue them on!
        Tim
        Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
          Can you tell me what other surface on that starter could possibly go against the block with that starter maybe they're thinking people will try and glue them on!
          I bet some fool has tried to install it upside down and bitched when it didn't fit. So the damn lawyers () got involved and told them to mark it. Probably a note on the sticker that says "Remove this sticker before installation" too.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
            Can you tell me what other surface on that starter could possibly go against the block with that starter maybe they're thinking people will try and glue them on!
            On Summit Racing, there is a full on rant by someone who couldn't put the starter on without grinding the block.... uh, there's bolts to clock it? two rules:
            1) build a device that only fools will use, and only fools will use it
            2) never try to out think a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

2) never try to out think a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
              Ah. The Band of Idiots. I'm not sure if I :

a) worked for
              b) worked with
              c) was the band leader

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post

Ah. The Band of Idiots. I'm not sure if I :

a) worked for
                b) worked with
                c) was the band leader
                if you have to ask which, you already know who.

Comment

• the last time I put anything in this was 20 years ago... still not through it all

though it is getting thinner

why, you ask? because I needed 4 pop rivets

yesterday, installed the spoiler

and started on the rear access panel

did I need to put a seam around the edge? absolutely, I needed to play with my bead roller....

not exciting stuff, waiting on parts from pretty much everyone... of course, some was supposed to arrive today, but they sent it via FedUp... so nope.

Comment

• what a useless day.... first
                    I quite nearly took this out on the street but it wasn't running right then tonight when I went to put it away, the starter wouldn't turn the motor over... battery wasn't topped off, but at 70% with a 3 hp starter... it should have started.

however

the bad news is... why one wheel? maybe dirt was on the fringe and it does look kind of like it spun... anyway, that was just the start

Comment

• You got a camaro 6 cylinders rear open diff .
                      Last edited by Dan Barlow; July 27, 2020, 05:18 AM.
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                        You got a camaro 6 cylinders rear open diff .
                        you're not funny.... well, funny looking, but you no funny man.

and I had the rear cover off... I trust no one.

Comment

• the crank pulley is inline with the front tires center/wheel bearing.
                          that makes a C3 vette 'almost' a mid engine design. with camaro
                          rear, roll bar, giant rims etc you added even more weight to the aft end...

my white vette wouldnt burn out unless you MADE it do it. (footbrake
                          and mash gas, or any water on road.)

i wonder if between torque of your motor (easily well over 500lbft+
                          from 2500rpm all the way to redline would be my guess), leverage
                          of giant wheels, weight etc you are just exceding the 'breaking torque'
                          of the center. i know a superbrute is 450ftlb and thats considered about
                          the strongest before a locker or a spool.

of course i have been hit in the head alot, so...................

Comment

• well, back to this.... got most of the parts in - still waiting on window motors, but outside of that.... I think I have everything

I convinced myself this car was worth a Dakota Digital package... which almost didn't happen courtesy of that company we called FedUp

in other news, I wonder at why I had all sorts of pressure when I built this and very low pressure now...

well, if the distributor moves up....

yep, God was watching over me
                            and oil pressure

locked in place.. forever.. just like before

in other news, I have shaft rockers for this - and the rockers seem a bit loose

Comment

• I would think by now every driver of every delivery company would know exactly where your place is, what the dogs names are, and where you prefer your boxes set.... it's not like you only place orders once a year or something! Fedup - INDEED
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                                I would think by now every driver of every delivery company would know exactly where your place is, what the dogs names are, and where you prefer your boxes set.... it's not like you only place orders once a year or something! Fedup - INDEED
                                the postman and the UPS driver do... FedUp is special - this time it was an unmarked white van... I presume they do that so the people who live in my area don't immediately go postal on them.

Comment

Working...
                                X