Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I really like the way this is coming together - again - your work ethic and seemingly endless supply of energy and motivation are truly inspirational. This is the most unique "mako shark" vettes on the planet
    There's always something new to learn.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by milner351 View Post
      your work ethic and seemingly endless supply of energy and motivation are truly inspirational
      Or depressing when I find myself a quart low on ambition.

      Dan

      Comment


      • Installed rear bulkhead

        carpet

        old stuff makes a good pattern but smells terrible



        glue new pieces together

        yum, fresh carpet smell

        lots of fitting



        also got the plexiglass rear window


        Doing it all wrong since 1966

        Comment


        • Window ..... that brings me to this question . Seems some of those old vettes had a rear window you could take out quickly . Is this that and if not , do you know how it came out . Sorry for the slight derail .
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
            Window ..... that brings me to this question . Seems some of those old vettes had a rear window you could take out quickly . Is this that and if not , do you know how it came out . Sorry for the slight derail .
            73 and older, but this will be removable as well
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

            Comment


            • Aaron, where did you get the plexi window? I've been looking for a pre-cut one for Mutt as the one I have has kind of lost its stiffness. What I've found is cut to fit and it seems like an S10 should be common enough that somebody would make them. I think the current one is too thin (like maybe 1/8" instead of maybe 3/16 or even 1/4 if that would fit in the gasket.) I need to make cutouts for the downbars the go thru but I'll have to do that no matter what I do with it but it seems easier to start with a window that fits to start with.

              Dan

              Comment


              • Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                Aaron, where did you get the plexi window? I've been looking for a pre-cut one for Mutt as the one I have has kind of lost its stiffness. What I've found is cut to fit and it seems like an S10 should be common enough that somebody would make them. I think the current one is too thin (like maybe 1/8" instead of maybe 3/16 or even 1/4 if that would fit in the gasket.) I need to make cutouts for the downbars the go thru but I'll have to do that no matter what I do with it but it seems easier to start with a window that fits to start with.

                Dan
                I made a paper template then took it to Tap Plastics, they cut it out for me
                use 1/4"... trust me on this.
                DanStokes likes this.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

                Comment


                • some parts came in for it - I worked on my gas powered air brush compressor until I ran into needing parts... but had a few minutes to get a bit further

                  some parts. Ordered 2 lenses, got 1

                  and fixed this... oops

                  in the spirit of breaking warranties....
                  I took this apart to see how hard it was going to be to limit its travel. Initially I was going to put an external switch... no need, just need to shorten a bit inside... but more on that later
                  DanStokes likes this.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

                    I made a paper template then took it to Tap Plastics, they cut it out for me
                    use 1/4"... trust me on this.
                    Did they use plexi or Lexan?

                    Dan

                    Comment


                    • I lean towards Polycarbonate for durability...
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

                        Did they use plexi or Lexan?

                        Dan
                        acrylic....Plexi and Lexan are a brand name for polycarbonate (they're the same thing)

                        DanStokes likes this.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

                          acrylic....Plexi and Lexan are a brand name for polycarbonate (they're the same thing)

                          We used Lexan at work for safety shields and it was a LOT tougher than plexiglass which we used for windows and some other application. We eventually stopped ordering plexi and just bought Lexan though it was quite a bit pricier - it was worth it. Now I have to go look up the formulations.......

                          Dan

                          Comment


                          • Back from exercising my Google-Fu:

                            Lexan is a brand name for Polycarbonate sheet. It features excellent shatter resistance and resists scratching in normal use.

                            Plexiglas (brand name) or plexiglass (generic name) is acrylic sheet and was invented in the early 1930s. It is extremely clear but somewhat less impact resistant than polycarbonate and is somewhat more prone to scratching.

                            Which is better for car windows? Ya pays yer money ya takes yer chances.....

                            Dan

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                              Back from exercising my Google-Fu:

                              Lexan is a brand name for Polycarbonate sheet. It features excellent shatter resistance and resists scratching in normal use.

                              Plexiglas (brand name) or plexiglass (generic name) is acrylic sheet and was invented in the early 1930s. It is extremely clear but somewhat less impact resistant than polycarbonate and is somewhat more prone to scratching.

                              Which is better for car windows? Ya pays yer money ya takes yer chances.....

                              Dan
                              depends which you have to drill.... acrylic is a pain... outside of that, lexan is not UV stable and will only last up to 10 years.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

                                depends which you have to drill.... acrylic is a pain... outside of that, lexan is not UV stable and will only last up to 10 years.
                                Which is OK for Mutt as he lives inside when not racing or going to and from the track. Still scratching my head on this.......

                                Dan

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X