No announcement yet.

Plastic Fantastic tew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spent a good share of the evening looking at a Land Rover defender... but did get a bit further
    I'll call comp cams tomorrow.... I don't think roller cams should wear into the cam - it's their springs.... we will see

The lifters spin okay, and have no play (these are bushed not roller bearing) but some are a bit dull....

ready to pull the pistons and crank.... the new crank arrives next week, hopefully I can order the rods and pistons (if I need them)... starting to think I'll just leave it alone and reuse the pistons....

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Got off the phone with Comp Cams... they're at a loss too as to why there are tracks worn into the cam... it's been 3 years since I bought it, so no warranty, but I don't want to replay this again - and this is the 2nd time the length of the build has bit me.

my take away on this... I'm building a run stand so that I can assemble, start, then deal with the aftermath - but the biggest reason is so that I can make a warranty claim in a reasonable time.

and please, don't judge Comp Cams - they may yet help....

Comment

• 006745-17
        11-771-8

interesting, he kept referring to it as a billet cam blank... that's cast.... hmmm

Comment

• block now free.... seems like I just saw this before...

the thing is... I could make all this work...

now for the 'fun' part.... to be honest, I'm not in love with the heads, either....

Comment

• so the decision... better rods (eagle H beam), higher compression pistons (11.0)....Comp cams took pity on me and is sending a discounted-price billet version of what I have now....
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 11, 2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• wow were they fast.... supposed to be here in the 16th....

measured it up, all within spec - it's a forged, steel 427 crank

this is junk.... I'm so tired of getting stuff that just isn't right - and this one springs to the top of 'not right'

look closely at the pads.... notice there is a step on the hub side?

also notice the wear?

the 'SFI' (marked right on it) flywheel isn't flat, nor does the inner cut out jive with the disk rotor. The measurements... the disk has a 6 5/8 distance between the pads.... that's nearly 7"

$614 gone.....
              good news is my wipers arrived and they look like they just might clear

Comment

• Pretty sure this flywheel is Summit's in-house brand (left) right is a Centerforce

big surprise it couldn't deal with any heat

pretty/sparkly
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 20, 2020, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  Pretty sure this flywheel is Summit's in-house brand (right) left is a Centerforce
                  So the one that is junk is a centerforce?
                  I always thought that was supposed to be a decent brand name - seems like it is getting harder to know who's parts to buy.

Comment

• corrected

Comment

• SBG - If you knew a lawyer you could sue their socks off. But is it worth it?

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        SBG - If you knew a lawyer you could sue their socks off. But is it worth it?

Dan
                        nope, but I will call... I have a list of issues with them at the moment (that aren't worth a single phone call)... truth is they owe me a clutch but they'll never pay it without a lawsuit...

Comment

• Best of luck. Sometime people DO do the right thing. Not often enough, I know......

Dan

Comment

• My experience with Summit is they will if it doesn't cost too much. This is well beyond "much" and solidly into "too"

Comment

• well, most of the parts are here - so hopefully I can get it to the machinist so I can wait another month

my shear is unhappy

why important? well, there's these

that are part of this

which are to cover this hole

lovely... I get to do it by hand

Comment

• Found a machine shop today - I'm hoping this works out.... but at this moment, I think February may come and my parts won't be done
                                in other news. metal work

need to get a better saw blade tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                                X